New to Polk and New to home audio help!!

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    wickedg8gt wrote: »
    Heres the first look of my new livingroom.f336e0j28tqf.jpg

Brett, that's a good looking setup you've got there!

What subwoofer did you decide to go with?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • wickedg8gt
    wickedg8gt Posts: 52
    halo wrote: »

I went with a Def Tech Pro 800; it's 300 watts with an 8 inch woofer.
  • wickedg8gt
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Maybe you could get a ladder and a friend to help you out? Then you could try out a few positions while someone holds a speaker and another one rests on a ladder. Otherwise, I bet if you put them on the edge of the couch they would sound fine. You might be limited by where the studs in the wall happen to be. I think placement is less critical with fx speakers because their job is to diffuse sound anyway. I would give aligning the edge of the cabinets with the edge of the couch a try.

Thank you. That's where I'll start.
  • wickedg8gt
    Being on the back wall, I should set them "Bipole"?
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Yup. Bi-pole for behind. The speakers also have a left and right. I think it should say which is which on the serial number sticker by the binding posts.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Nobody has posted yet, but you have a square room. From my research when building a recording studio, I learned this is about the worst you can do sonically. Once you are all set up, you may need to consider room treatment. Lots of info on the net, but you can start here: http://realtraps.com/index.htm
  • wickedg8gt
    Yup. Bi-pole for behind. The speakers also have a left and right. I think it should say which is which on the serial number sticker by the binding posts.

Ok thank you. Just so happens I did have it on bi-pole.

Now, you bring up something I was curious about. There is a left and right tagged on it. And I'm sure I'm wrong, but to me it seems the woofer should face towards seats. However, the way they are labeled left and right; the woofer is going away from the ears.
  • wickedg8gt
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    Nobody has posted yet, but you have a square room. From my research when building a recording studio, I learned this is about the worst you can do sonically. Once you are all set up, you may need to consider room treatment. Lots of info on the net, but you can start here: http://realtraps.com/index.htm

Thank you sir, I will look into it.
  • wickedg8gt
    Here's where my speakers are as of this moment. I'm going to play a little see how I like them; and make adjustments accordingly.hgx0wq266slj.jpg
  • wickedg8gt

And thank you very much. I really appreciate the compliment and help. The wall behind the screen and the carpet are grey and really bring out the screen.
  • wickedg8gt
    Of all the good so far, I do have some unfortunate news. UPS damaged my S60's, so Crutchfield is overnighting me some. Should be here tomorrow.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Here's where my speakers are as of this moment. I'm going to play a little see how I like them; and make adjustments accordingly.hgx0wq266slj.jpg

You have those reversed, the driver should be pointing away from the seating.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wickedg8gt
    F1nut wrote: »

You have those reversed, the driver should be pointing away from the seating.

Ok. I was wondering that. But why?
  • F1nut
    Because you don't want the bulk of the sound pointed directly at your ears. It's supposed to be ambient sound.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wickedg8gt
    Because you don't want the bulk of the sound pointed directly at your ears. It's supposed to be ambient sound.

Oh ok. Thank you. I'm new to all this; I always appreciate advice and a teaching moment.
  • halo
    Of all the good so far, I do have some unfortunate news. UPS damaged my S60's, so Crutchfield is overnighting me some. Should be here tomorrow.
    Polk doesn't include enough packing material with the Signature S60 speakers, that is why they get damaged during shipping (it is not Crutchfield's fault but it is very good of them to try and resolve the situation for you).
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Airplay355
    Looks like a good place to start :) You might try them a little higher. As F1 said, the sound should be ambient and if you're too close to the tweeters you're going to be able to pinpoint where specific sounds are coming from. Still, they might sound great where they are so give it a try. What are you going to do about wiring?
  • wickedg8gt
    Polk doesn't include enough packing material with the Signature S60 speakers, that is why they get damaged during shipping (it is not Crutchfield's fault but it is very good of them to try and resolve the situation for you).

They were great. They overnighted me some new ones and got them today. They sound amazing. However one has a chip taken out of it. Lol. If it's not one thing, it's another.
  • wickedg8gt
    Looks like a good place to start :) You might try them a little higher. As F1 said, the sound should be ambient and if you're too close to the tweeters you're going to be able to pinpoint where specific sounds are coming from. Still, they might sound great where they are so give it a try. What are you going to do about wiring?

They are wired up my friend. I ran the wire through the wall and down then over under the carpet to my reciever.
  • Airplay355
    Awesome! Very clean install! I'll be doing the same thing soon but I've got some attic space to run wire through. I plan on putting wall plates on the side walls up front and then running the wire through the attic space on each side to the wall mounted speakers.

So how do they sound? :) I'm very excited to try out mine. I'm just waiting for 100ft of cable from BJC.
  • wickedg8gt
    Awesome! Very clean install! I'll be doing the same thing soon but I've got some attic space to run wire through. I plan on putting wall plates on the side walls up front and then running the wire through the attic space on each side to the wall mounted speakers.

So how do they sound? :) I'm very excited to try out mine. I'm just waiting for 100ft of cable from BJC.

So far, they sound great. Yesterday was the first day I've really had them hooked up. I used the calibration system on my Denon and it sounds great. Crutchfield said they need to be broken in and to let them play about 40 hours before I turn them up real loud. So I watched a movie pretty loud just to see how they sound but then turned it down and just let them play some music at a lower to medium level just till they get broke in.
  • wickedg8gt
    Thank you. I wanted a wireless look. I wish more companies made 5.1 or 7.1 in a wireless system. Sure would make it easier than trying to run wires, LOL
  • halo
    @wickedg8gt - Does it say anything about a "break in period" in the Polk manual that came with the speakers?
  • wickedg8gt
    edited July 2017
    @wickedg8gt - Does it say anything about a "break in period" in the Polk manual that came with the speakers?

Hello sir, no it didn't. But it's funny you asked; yesterday I actually called Polk and asked them about that, and the gentlemen told me between 50 and 100 hours and never higher than reference sound of 0. Crutchfield told me 40 hours at no more than -30db volume on my receiver.
  • F1nut
    All speakers and gear break in. There's no special method, just play them as normal and it will happen. Some things take longer than others, but in your case they should be fully cooked after 100 hours.

President of Club Polk

• wickedg8gt
    All speakers and gear break in. There's no special method, just play them as normal and it will happen. Some things take longer than others, but in your case they should be fully cooked after 100 hours.

Thank you for the advice. This being my first, "real" theatre audio setup; I just wanted to do it right. And make sure I didn't do anything wrong and blow the speakers or not get full sound out of them.

• wickedg8gt
    I think it's time to upgrade my reciever. My old Denon 1912 only puts out 90 watts a channel. And I feel I have to turn it up to much to get the sound I want.
  • F1nut
    Did you run the calibration program?

President of Club Polk

• halo
    edited July 2017
    Crutchfield is running a sale on Denon AVR's & the AVR-X3300W is a really great deal with room to expand in the future as it features preamp outputs for all channels so you can add additional amplifiers (if needed) down the line.

You can also check out different AVR's at Accessories4less but I've purchased from them in the past and received a few duds. While they are under warranty, you have to pay to ship the receiver to the authorized repair facility and you get to pay for them to ship it back to you as well.
  • Airplay355
    I also bought two receivers from AC4L and they both had issues. They'll work but there's some sort of issue. One had a surround channel that was broken and the other the display didn't work.