Mustang any good in the twisties?

13»

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    So far it seems the BMW 3 series is a good choice between handling and a touch of luxury. Now I need to make sure the stereo is also up to par.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited July 2017
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Before my current car, I had an 87 VW (Blue) Fox for 17 years. That makes two cars in 30 years. Time flies. Anyway, the Fox was okay, but also a piece of junk. I realize I can't judge all VW cars based on this one, so I will add VW onto the list.

The Fox was an attempt for VW to get into an ultra low price entry level car. It was a pretty good failure because of all the corners they had to cut to offer it at a low price. The VW of 87 is not the same company today. Quality, Quality, Quality now, but you pay for that.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    So far it seems the BMW 3 series is a good choice between handling and a touch of luxury. Now I need to make sure the stereo is also up to par.

I think you missed typing the "M" in front of the 3...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Had this guy at the shop the other day. X5M, you have to spend a fortune to get a nice interior in a Bimmer.

sn8sd84o6kud.jpg
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• trj
    trj Posts: 320

If you are going for a 3/4 series, make sure you get the sports seats option checked. In the good old days, coupes always got more options as standard than sedan.
    Now with the 3 series being the sedan and 4 being a coupe, and a rather confusing 4 GC (4 door coupe), I have not kept up with the packages they include. But they stopped including the sport package (sports steering wheel, seats, suspension) with the coupes when they introduced e90/e92 series (2006-7 onwards). But the coupes did come with adaptive xenons standard in that generation which for sedans was an extra option.

Also, please get the heated steering wheel option (I am assuming you are already getting the heated seat option). Here in Colorado, the heated steering option has been a godsend. :smile:
    You say twisties, so you want the seats that hug you and BMW sports seats are so much better than the standard seats. The x5M posted above gives you a glimpse of sports wheel and sports seats.
    Oh, and do yourself a favor, skip the 4 cylinder engine and get the 6 cylinder turbo versions (n55 engine equipped if its still being sold or if you are looking for a CPO vehicle). The new B58 engines are good but the maintenance on them is going to be so much more as everything possible is crammed inside the block. VANOS systems which have been notorious in the BMW engines are towards the firewall in B58 equipped cars. So, the engine literally has to come out if you have to change/clean the VANOS solenoids. Not the case with N55 engines. If you are into tuning, N54 engines have more potential, but more potential problem as well. I am happy with my puny little N51 engine because I dont like force induction. Very little choice these days for NA cars though.

The options is where BMW will get you. Be careful in the selection and you will end up with a really nice optioned car for a good value. Sports seats/steering wheel/heated seats/steering wheel/xenons/led headlights/adaptive cruise control.. etc etc.. They are all parts of packages or can be added as standalone options. Some of the options come as standard with bigger engine. So, if you go with a smaller engine car and start adding options, you will end up with more cost than a bigger engine car and a small engine. Also, bigger engine car come with upgraded audio system as standard.

Have you checked BMW euro delivery option? You select the car, select the options and they make it for you. Go to Germany, drive through Europe in a vacation in your new car. Load it up in a ferry and it gets delivered here. Talk with your BMW dealer. From what I heard its cheaper than buying the car here and you get a Euro vacation.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I had a BWW 635 which was a beautiful POS. Spent more time at the dealer than on the road. I think the 3,4,5's are good but the 6 was the worst car I have ever owned.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    My old Lexus ES300 is a champ. I use it just to drive back and forth to work. Great car.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Currently I have a GS350 and it has never been to the dealer for anything but maintenance. Very reliable.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    These guys are selling brand new Mustangs with upgrades in Ohio:
    http://www.lebanonford.com/the-727-hp-mustang.htm
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Drive everything in the same class as the 3 series, then drive the Jag XE... that is what we did. The Jag won for us.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    Haven't heard anything recently about Jaguar, but in the past they had a reputation as a very unreliable car. Of course, that applies to a lot of car manufacturers.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    halen wrote: »
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I still think that the BMW options are better for twisty fun and refinement.

If you can justify the price, the Lexus GS F is outstanding (if you can find a left over at a dealer). the GS 350 F sport is an AWESOME substitute.

I have owned three different Lexus the past 20 years. My first was the LS400 then followed the SC and GS models. It is not that I think they are a piece of **** but they are a piece of ****. Three of them from different years, and models.

Maybe they drive great from the dealer lot? Don't know. At least I gave them many years and different models to base my facts. Lexus is throw away trash.

I have extensive experience with the IS, GS and GX models. None of them have had a single issue in the years that they have been in service...

What model years are the ones you are referring to?
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The only thing about the Mustang is you better know how to drive it.

If you think you are going to play around and let it loose, even just a tad, you're going to spin that a$$-end around in a heart beat

Curbs, and light poles are mustangs best friend, and their owners worst enemy...not a twistie car IMHO

Mostly true. I rotated my 89 more than once.

However, with the correct suspension upgrades they are much improved.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Yeah so the latest gen Mustang can't be compared to the fox body or any other Stang since. It's a completely different car that can go toe to toe with anything in its class.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • nooshinjohn
    Haven't heard anything recently about Jaguar, but in the past they had a reputation as a very unreliable car. Of course, that applies to a lot of car manufacturers.

I have had zero trouble with 4 of them in the past, and my current car is the best of the bunch. I get 26 mpg average out of a 4.2 liter v8 and can pull 32 if I go easy on the freeway. The XE is about 300 pounds lighter than the BMW 3 series and as nimble as they get. They are the only cars I get in as a driver and feel like the guys that built it are just as passionate about their work as the guy that is lucky enough to sit behind the wheel.

Your search is not over until you drive one. The XF is a good one as well, and the supercharged V8 XJ is a bargain at 40k as a certified Pre owned. That car feels like you just bought your very own private jet.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    I was just looking at the XE. It is nice, but it was $56K with the options I selected.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited July 2017
    Sounds like you built the equivalent of a BMW m3... fun car for sure. Go drive it and let me know what you think.