Mustang any good in the twisties?

Options

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    We have an older Miata, and while small and not the absolute best at anything, is maybe the most fun car I have ever driven, even compared to much more expensive and faster cars.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Legender wrote: »
    Love mine.. It truly is an adult go-kart.

uh we have one, and I would say, naw not quite..lol

We also have an old lotus7 replica, and that IS a go kart!
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I still think that the BMW options are better for twisty fun and refinement.

If you can justify the price, the Lexus GS F is outstanding (if you can find a left over at a dealer). the GS 350 F sport is an AWESOME substitute.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I dunno...a V8 Mustang...traction control disabled could lead to increased smiles as throttle induced steering could be fun in the right areas...

Well, I dunno. haha

I've kicked around in the GS 350 F Sport the most. I have yet to leave that car without a smile plastered on my face.

It can be polite in everyday driving and a blast when you want it to be.

I found the Mustang to still feel too heavy and labored in comparison.

The GS F. That was just pure driving fun. If I did not have to fork out too much $$ in daycare bills, I would have driven that thing home...
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I just looked up the 2017 GS F, and it is $84K to start. That is double what I want to pay. Not this lifetime, assuming I never hit the lottery.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As a final car purchase I would seriously consider switching to a vehicle with an automatic transmission. The better automatics shift faster than manuals, are a bit more economical, and easier to deal with physically in urban traffic as one gets older. Also consider something with new safety tech. I had a Mazda 3 for a couple years about ten years ago and enjoyed it. The newer version is even better. I would look at the 3, CX5, or CX9 and see which one fits your needs best. They will all handle and perform well for a fair price compared to their direct competitors.

Rent a sports car if you want to go do mountain driving for kicks.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,038
    Options
    Save more money and patiently wait for the new Nissan Z coming soon. Google it. B)
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I just looked up the 2017 GS F, and it is $84K to start. That is double what I want to pay. Not this lifetime, assuming I never hit the lottery.

I preferred my G37 sedan over the GS F my dad had.

I find that hard to believe, skip...

The Nissan stuff is trash compared to what it used to be. Throw away items.

The Lexus stuff is lightyears ahead.

As I said before, the leftovers or lightly used year old models are WAY under full sticker for the GS F.

If that's still hard to justify, the GS 350 F Sport is a GREAT car to consider for something drivable in everyday life and can throw on a party hat when needed.
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    My car did everything that one did and was more comfortable to boot. I like the GS-F, but I still prefer the G37 over it. I even prefer the G over the Infiniti M. They got it right on that car IMO. I also prefer the G37 over the new Q60 for a multitude of reasons.

Driving experience went BMW, Infiniti, then Lexus a close third. Comfort went Infiniti, Lexus, then BMW. The BMW 3/4/5 is a hard car to beat for overall experience. The comfort of the Infiniti went well beyond that of the Lexus and BMW and I felt had better overall build quality honestly. The BMW seats felt like cardboard and the Lexus interior wasn't bad, but I preferred the material inside the G37. The new Q60 had less comfortable and maybe slightly lower grade seats, less 'spirit' to the drive, and a longer load time for the electronics inside. I'd still take the Q60 over the BMW and it would be a winner over the GS-F for price alone.

Still having a hard time processing what your saying. Infiniti gave up the ghost 8+ years ago when people realized they were just over complicated Nissan cars. And the Nissan stuff fell off the face of the planet in terms of quality in the early 2000's...

The interiors are just a mess of buttons and the build quality is spotty at best. the Lexus and BMW stuff is expected and well though out. Buttons are where you expect them and not over done. The drive trains are well built and don't disappoint.

Sorry, but when shopping for my latest car, I SAT in an Infiniti and got right back out. It looked like a damn mess. Volvo thought me the value in good car design, Nissan showed me once again what it should never look like...

Comfort is a personal experience. I want a car to grip me and the road. The Nissan cars did neither. BMW and Lexus did a great job being adjustable to the user and providing excitement. At least to me.

I found the Nissan seats too wide, like a domestic car seats.

I think Nissan did a great job grabbing the publics attention in the early to mid 2000's. but they dropped the ball IMO and got lazy with intelligent engineering.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Three letters

GTI ... ticks all your boxes

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-in-depth-model-review

You're Welcome

H9

P.s. Happens to be the exact model and color I bought.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    I agree the Infinity G series were/are excellent cars and a blast too drive. I had the G35 coupe and loved it. That car was so good and Nissan offered some variation of the FM platform going on 15 years or so.

With the exception of the Q60 redsport the G37s still make significantly more power. I still like the styling of the G series coupes also.

The Z car is great also if you don't need that back seat.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,474
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I dunno...a V8 Mustang...traction control disabled could lead to increased smiles as throttle induced steering could be fun in the right areas...

Yeah,
    I have a 2003 Mach 1 with a totally rebuilt suspension by Maximum Motorsports.
    It's fun B)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    edited July 2017
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Three letters

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-in-depth-model-review

You're Welcome

H9

Bud

I agree on the VW. But based on what you have had and description of what you want I would recommend looking and testing a VW Golf R. The GTI's big brother. Its handling and performance capabilities are pretty impressive. Light, 290 HP, AWD, adaptive driver control.... It can really apply the power to the pavement.

It is very high on my list when I turn in the IS350.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Three letters

You're Welcome

H9

Bud

I agree on the VW. But based on what you have had and description of what you want I would recommend looking and testing a VW Golf R. The GTI's big brother. Its handling and performance capabilities are pretty impressive. Light, 290 HP, AWD, adaptive driver control.... It can really apply the power to the pavement.

It is very high on my list when I turn in the IS350.

I second that. Only because I own one. Some light modifications and it sits at about 400 HP easily and reliably. German cars drive super nice and tight, not to mention the solid thud when closing the doors. The interiors are very nice as well, much nicer than most. No cheap plastic dash and interior pieces. Solid as a rock.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueFox
    Options
    Before my current car, I had an 87 VW (Blue) Fox for 17 years. That makes two cars in 30 years. Time flies. Anyway, the Fox was okay, but also a piece of junk. I realize I can't judge all VW cars based on this one, so I will add VW onto the list.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Before my current car, I had an 87 VW (Blue) Fox for 17 years. That makes two cars in 30 years. Time flies. Anyway, the Fox was okay, but also a piece of junk. I realize I can't judge all VW cars based on this one, so I will add VW onto the list.

I had an 85 Jetta as a teenager. It was a piece of junk as well. The fox was a mk1 body style, Piece of junk is an understatement. Vw has come a long way since then. Go drive a golf R with DSG and do some launches.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Really a CX-5 or a NSX, am I missing something here. What are we comparing again?

Practicality versus luxury. Mazda doesn't have a luxury car division so they offer more in their models. The TOL AWD CX-5 is probably a better handling SUV, based on reviews, but doesn't have the extra touches, nor the name, that the NSX has. For $15K less than a NSX, I can live without the bling. However, both would be nice to have, so I have to keep my mind open for a year or two.

Few observations Bud....

One...if this is the last new car your probably going to buy, go big or go home. Don't cheap out on the last one, make it a pleasurable experience.

Two....given what you've spent on audio gear, 15k either way shouldn't be relative imho. Your money....I know, but spoil yourself in your last driving years is all I'm sayin'.

Three.....is I can't think of a third, lol. Point being....just buy whatever the eff you want, regardless of coin, and drive it like you stole it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Really a CX-5 or a NSX, am I missing something here. What are we comparing again?

Practicality versus luxury. Mazda doesn't have a luxury car division so they offer more in their models. The TOL AWD CX-5 is probably a better handling SUV, based on reviews, but doesn't have the extra touches, nor the name, that the NSX has. For $15K less than a NSX, I can live without the bling. However, both would be nice to have, so I have to keep my mind open for a year or two.

Few observations Bud....

One...if this is the last new car your probably going to buy, go big or go home. Don't cheap out on the last one, make it a pleasurable experience.

Two....given what you've spent on audio gear, 15k either way shouldn't be relative imho. Your money....I know, but spoil yourself in your last driving years is all I'm sayin'.

Three.....is I can't think of a third, lol. Point being....just buy whatever the eff you want, regardless of coin, and drive it like you stole it.

Good points Tony. This should be last car, and I want to make sure I love it, and don't end up selling it for some reason. That is why I am leery of automatics. Manuals are just too much fun. Going to Tahoe in May, and also Minden NV showed that again. Most of the trip in the mountains was two lanes, but passing lanes are added in various locations. It was great taking the Mazda, dropping it into 2nd, zoom zooming past everyone, ease up on the gas, dropping into the turn, accelerating into 3rd, hitting the next hairpin, back into 2nd, zoom into 3rd, etc..

However, once I retire I won't be driving as much, so I don't want to go too crazy on price.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options

Few observations Bud....

Good points Tony. This should be last car, and I want to make sure I love it, and don't end up selling it for some reason. That is why I am leery of automatics. Manuals are just too much fun. Going to Tahoe in May, and also Minden NV showed that again. Most of the trip in the mountains was two lanes, but passing lanes are added in various locations. It was great taking the Mazda, dropping it into 2nd, zoom zooming past everyone, ease up on the gas, dropping into the turn, accelerating into 3rd, hitting the next hairpin, back into 2nd, zoom into 3rd, etc..

However, once I retire I won't be driving as much, so I don't want to go too crazy on price.

Exactly where the Golf R will dominate.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,038
    Options
    Go manual shift. Pure enjoyment and I find myself paying much more attention to everything.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    Golf/GTI are great cars and drive great, but VW is still not known for great reliability. The Mazda or Lexus will be far better over the course of 10+ years.

I had a Passat for almost 10 years/130k miles. Was probably more reliable than most VWs, but it had its share of problems.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Emlyn
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If driving enjoyment on twisty mountain roads was the top priority I would not get a front wheel drive car or front wheel drive biased car. Something like a 2 series BMW would be near the top of my list. Probably an M240i coupe that is low on options to keep the price down.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Here is a good bang for the buck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bMF_LwPtM
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lol! When you get to 3, and wait... What were the first 2?? :p
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Oh yeah!! The best thing about a Mustang is what can added to it after buying it.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    The only thing about the Mustang is you better know how to drive it.

If you think you are going to play around and let it loose, even just a tad, you're going to spin that a$$-end around in a heart beat

Curbs, and light poles are mustangs best friend, and their owners worst enemy...not a twistie car IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    This guy isn't having any trouble cutting it loose :D

https://youtu.be/axTBSCYC8CY

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I still think that the BMW options are better for twisty fun and refinement.

If you can justify the price, the Lexus GS F is outstanding (if you can find a left over at a dealer). the GS 350 F sport is an AWESOME substitute.

I have owned three different Lexus the past 20 years. My first was the LS400 then followed the SC and GS models. It is not that I think they are a piece of **** but they are a piece of ****. Three of them from different years, and models.

Maybe they drive great from the dealer lot? Don't know. At least I gave them many years and different models to base my facts. Lexus is throw away trash.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Automotive is just as subjective as audio. One person could have a vw with zero issues, and one person gets the lemon nightmare. All brands have their issues. As working in the automotive trade for 15 years... they are all pieces of $hit. The more technological they get, with fancy gadgets, the more unreliable they become.

Trust me. Ever work in a Ferrari? Those things ride like lumber wagons and when on a hoist it looks like some hillbilly built it in his garage.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    I am all for horse and carriage! Though I would have to leave for work last month. Haha

Very true. All makes have issues.