Loft setup

Options
EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
edited July 2017 in The Clubhouse
So I sold my Salamander rack to vmaxer because it was just too big. My Archetype 5.0 was just too small.... But this rack, this rack was JUST RIGHT....

v5o5grzcwucv.jpg
^Ignore the fans and the bookcase, they are all moved elsewhere at this point.

6eyljzvroups.jpg
^Ignore the kids books, they've been replaced by the LP's in the picture below

Right side Bottom to Top: APC H15 | Anthem MRX-500 (Thanks @scubalab) | Silverstone HTPC case running Plex Server
Left Side Bottom to Top: Netgear ReadyNAS Server w all my music (thanks @John Megadeth) | LP's and Laserdiscs | Roku 3, Wii, Linksys Switch | Carver C-1 (stock) | Drawer with remotes and other crap

iao3qlgq54am.jpg

The rack is still in flux somewhat as I've got a couple more pieces I'd like to add to it, and I may move the Roku, Wii and switch to above the Anthem, and I may or may not get rid of that drawer and add a front door to the left side and locks on both.

The TV still needs to be wallmounted and the source wires run through the wall, but that should be fairly easy. I also need to talk to @helipilotdoug and source some of his black techflex and whatnot to finish the 10 gauge Furez speaker wires and make em look a bit more purty.

So the rack is like 95% done for now.

Regarding the room, I'm still not 100% done as I want to redo ARC and work on placing the Ushers better and integrating in the sub. We are also in the process of repainting the entire downstairs, which bleeds up into the loft, and I will hopefully have some pictures/stuff hung in the next few weeks.

I'm not sure about Acoustic treatments given the reflection points are either a window or a sliding door to my furnace. I do hope to do something to the Furnace doors to quiet them down, but there needs to be some sort of airflow there, so I may just be SOL after doing a couple small things. I've debated making a ghetto bass trap like @marvda1 did using a collapsable laundry sack and some pillows and pulling it out of the closet when I want to use it, and put it back when done (full time placement isnt happening).

With my wife's back still on the mend its not been easy to do much besides just keep afloat since about June 15th.....

I will post some more pictures once its all done, but needless to say I have lots of room for the boxes for the LSAF Horn build, so I may be able to do larger boxes for the midrange drivers and be able to eek a bit more low end out of them. Still nothing as big as doc hardy by any means, but potentially 3-4 cubic feet maybe....

But that remains to be seen, I've got some ideas perculating finish wise in my head that may look purdy darn cool, even MAYBE @mhardy6647 approved....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Why not lose the Carver while you're at it...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I like a nice efficient (compact) setup that rocks - nice work!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• EndersShadow
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Why not lose the Carver while you're at it...

Because the Carver is awesome and eventually will be used in another system after I upgrade it...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Brain poot....is it a sliding door or a bi-fold door to the furnace closet?
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Brain poot....is it a sliding door or a bi-fold door to the furnace closet?

Bi-fold
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Enders, you have had many a transition throughout the years on that room. Kudos on the progress (and I do think you are making progress). The loft may be the best room in your house. Hear me out...

When you get to the point to where you can lose everything on the long wall in the loft? You may be golden. 3' from the corners and a different rack (yes) in the middle and you may have what most folks do not have.

Sound stage. Imaging. The best of all worlds with zero back reflections unless you are slouching below the back wall.

Don't trust me? Bring that same system out to your double car garage. Set it out 3' from the garage door, set your listening position about 10 feet back (in a triangle with the speakers) and listen.

You can thank me later.

In the meantime, it looks like you are on the right track.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    Options
    Tell ya what there, Tom.....valid points. But I've heard this set and it floated in the air. No clinical or sterile presentation. Just a good clean listen from some fine bookies.
    I see your point on the no wall behind the couch now.

To address the bi-fold issue, Dan. Does it act as a return plenum and O2 supply for the air handler and water heater?
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm honestly not sure but I'd hazard a guess it does. There is a return for the furnace on the outside of that wall between the loft and the bathroom up there.

e0bilxfb28ax.jpg
    vq5ym2r7ivcb.jpg
    7t6ag86yy2t6.jpg
    h1zf7kvkxaxo.jpg
    5dkoejeay7zr.jpg

But no other way for air to be drawn in for the water heater.
  • lightman1
    Options
    We're good. See the pipe on the left? Fresh air supply for the W/H and air handler.
    The room and doors can be deadened with some FIREproof type of foam padding affixed the back side of the doors.
  • lightman1
    Options
    As thoughts run through my mind all willy-nilly.......Dynamat (or suitable equivalent) the backside of the doors.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Since you know I'm a cheap a$$ any suggestions?
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    As thoughts run through my mind all willy-nilly.......Dynamat (or suitable equivalent) the backside of the doors.

That was a thought but I'm thinking first solid core bifold doors perhaps... or maybe a couple inches of roxul maybe.....

Dynamat of that amount would get somewhat pricey and I'd almost prefer to start w solid core doors depending on cost of course lol...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Enough footsie under the table gents

Dan WTF with your horns
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I love Dan

And....from the left field cheap seats.....

Flex Seal roll on.

Thoughts?
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    ^^^Tyvek is a butyl product that would stick until the house burned down.
    If you can wait a minute, i'll see what i have leftover once i complete siding my house. The chit aint cheap!
    I have 9" rolls of straight flash that would be easy to put a strip on all 4 doors...just depends on what i have left in a month+ or so...

Don't buy roxul. If you go in and out of that closet, that's the last thing you want to deal with. Putting anything on the back that isn't a sheet product will make the door cumbersome.

My vote, try and find a Solid Core Bifold Door...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    If you can wait a minute, i'll see what i have leftover once i complete siding my house. The chit aint cheap!
    I have 9" rolls of straight flash that would be easy to put a strip on all 4 doors...just depends on what i have left in a month+ or so...

Don't buy roxul. If you go in and out of that closet, that's the last thing you want to deal with. Putting anything on the back that isn't a sheet product will make the door cumbersome.

I'm happy to wait, I wont be doing much to the room besides optimizing what I have now while working toward picking AND BUYING the drivers for my horn build. @txcoastal1 see bottom section of this post :smile:
    My vote, try and find a Solid Core Bifold Door...

Yeah, I'm looking at those and if they are 6 panel (so they match the rest of the house), I may have a SHOT at getting them with the wifes approval. However the price for solid core bifold doors may scare her off.....

For Ron:

I am looking at a couple different options and spec'ing boxes right now to try and find a good balance between high efficiecny and cost effective drivers :smile:.

Right now my top 3 drivers are:

Dayton PA380 (15" | 96db efficiency | 80$ per driver): low cost, digs fairly deep but lower efficiency that the other two requiring more power for same output.

Box spec's for this driver: 4 cubic feet tuned to 40hz, PEQ (60hz, Q of 1, Gain 2.25)
    ^Only driver capable of getting to 40hz tuning while staying fairly flat all the way doing it. Other two drivers start losing output around 100hz in 3-4 cubic feet boxes if tuned this low. They really need HUGE boxes (9+ cubic feet) to stay flat to 40hz.

Eminence Delta Pro 12A (12" | 99.2db efficiency | 130$ per driver): wont dig as deep as Dayton without significant loss of higher midrange frequencies

Box spec's for this driver: 3 - 3.5 cubic feet tuned to 50hz, 3rd order highpass @ 40hz
    ^tuning to 45 is possible but you give up a couple db's between 45 - 50 and dont really gain much in return. Can go up to 4 if needed but only for size reasons, doesn't return much in output after 3.5 cubic feet

Eminence Deltalite II 2512 (12" | 99.8 db efficiency | 124$ per driver): best top/mid range of all three. 4db better than Delta Pro 12A below 200hz with same wattage

Box spec's for this driver: 3.5 tuned to 50hz, 3rd order highpass @ 40hz
    ^like the Delta Pro 12A needs a HUGE box to hit 40hz without severe rolloff starting @100 hz or above.