On a binge again...

FestYboy
FestYboy Posts: 3,861
edited June 2017 in Vintage Speakers
This week I picked up a pair of 194 modded 5Bs with Dayton caps in Black, and a set of 10Bs.
Total investment: $155
How much of a schmuck am I?

I figured it'd be easier to tuck those 4 away rather than the 15TLs I've been looking at... But I still might get those too...

I'm starting to think I have a problem :/

* So apparently "sch_muck" is a non-permissable word??? I didn't realize vanilla understood Yiddish!??

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    w/out pics it didn't happen so you are safe. :)
  • FestYboy
    edited June 2017
    I have pics. :'(:#

I document all my speakers
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2017
    its called a rabbit hole for a reason! hang in there someone might toss you a rope (NOT) >:)

They prefer to push you into it o:)

like that song: Misery loves Company!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    You hoarder.

I don't have that problem.
    Certainly not.
    No sir.
    :s:|
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    The 1st step is admitting you have a problem Art!

the 2nd step is sending me your speakers!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • FestYboy
    Hehe, just call me Alice. I think I might have to start relieving myself of some of my collection in order to expand it... Then again, my house is large enough, and I have a 2.5 story garage... I could just keep going??? :#>:)
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    FestYboy wrote: »
    * So apparently "sch_muck" is a non-permissable word??? I didn't realize vanilla understood Yiddish!??
    Don't get us started about Vanilla and their crazy censorship.

Once upon a time somebody--perhaps Ken--offered to pull various words out of the censorship pool if we'd send them to him. I've lost track of that posting.

Pain in the tuckus.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    That is correct, I'd be happy to do such a mitzvah!
  • FestYboy
    Good show Ken! Mazel tov!
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Also known as (AAS) or Audio Acquisition Syndrome. But more specifically, (PAS) Polk Acquisition Syndrome.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • FestYboy
    I did it again... Pair of 7s with the silver baskets and peerless tweets last night, and 10As with stands tonight.

Honestly, I think I have an issue... I'm running out of room!
  • FestYboy
    edited July 2017
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I'm in awe that you are finding that many vintage Polks locally that are worth owning. Most of what I see listed is over priced & beat.

I think you are somewhat local to me. Did you by chance get the 7s in Shillington? Your post prompted me to look on C/L & they are still listed, but the seller replied that they were sold when I inquired.

Yeah that was me! I hail from Lititz.
  • FestYboy
    la2vegas wrote: »
    You know the policy here, pictures or it didn't happen. :o

I'll take pics of everything I picked up the past 3 weeks or so and post tonight.
  • FestYboy
    Ok, so 3 weeks ago...

5b with 194s and Dayton caps
    t0fe7lcn99oh.jpg

Then 10b in nice shape
    ni4e979drxq1.jpg

Then yesterday, some original 7s with silver baskets and peerless tweets... But as you can see, one of the MWs were replaced at some point. I'd like to get the symetry back, it vexes me so...
    glz5kkilabuo.jpg

And my latest tonight. Original 10As with the peerless tweets and stands. Unfortunately the surrounds need replaced due to age, dry rot, and cat damage. Also came with a Yamaha receiver
    ixrlhikrog36.jpg
    Total investment: $280

Now I just need those 15TLs...
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Nice snag. I've owned numerous vintage Polks at one time or another, but I haven't owned peerless 7's before. I live east of Reading.
  • FestYboy
    What did I do now!?! :p
  • FestYboy
    Dang, almost got another set of 5s with stands for $40!!! Someone out there is really lucky...
  • DaveHo
    Ha! I inquired about those too since the seller's location is right around the corner from my office. I didn't get them either.
  • FestYboy
    The hunt is on Dave!! :D
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I'm pretty sure the 5Bs you got have the SL2500 not the Rd0's. Rd0's don't have the foam circle, good scores regardless!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • FestYboy
    Picture is a little out of focus. There's no foam around the tweets. I have to tear the boxes open and reseal them... Air leaks. And I need to swap out the receiver driving them for my newly aquired Yamaha.b
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Picture is a little out of focus. There's no foam around the tweets. I have to tear the boxes open and reseal them... Air leaks. And I need to swap out the receiver driving them for my newly aquired Yamaha.b

I had air leak issues on my first set of monitor 5s($30). My second was with the 2500s purchased for $30 in pretty good condition, sold the first pair to a friend the second on Craigslist a month or two later. Had to reseal a pair of RTA11TLs as well, fun stuff.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • DaveHo
    Hey, @FestYboy, I don't think you have a pair of these:https://reading.craigslist.org/ele/d/set-of-polk-sda-ii-speakers/6229191325.html

They are a bit of a basket case & not all that desirable in the first place but, if you're gonna binge...
  • FestYboy
    edited July 2017
    Post was deleted @DaveHo ... Oh well :#

Well I added another pair of 5s today... You'll hate me for the price.
    f7thst8vj3b8.jpg

Add to that, I grabbed a NAD 320BEE amp to better run my 11Ts
    suaq9btuainw.jpg
    They were on this: (please excuse the flash)
    z3o9ja4cp9xe.jpg

PS
    Just hooked up the NAD and bumped the speaker wire up to 14g from the crap that was on it....

Played Also sprach Zarathustra again.... Instantly heard a difference at lower volume... It surprised me! I knew I was going to hear improvement, but wow...!

Further down the hole I fall.
    Post edited by FestYboy on
  • DaveHo
    edited July 2017
    $25 on the Polks. I saw them too.

There's been some nice deals in this area lately. Had been a wasteland for audio purchases for a long time.
  • FestYboy
    @DaveHo what we're those SDAs going for in that little k that was pulled?