Silver is bright right?

2»

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    afterburnt wrote: »
    So do yooz think that lets say some silver ICS could liven up my Slim 707's?

I don't know if generalizing silver as "bright" is accurate. I've heard harsh and bright sounding cables made with silver, silver/copper, and copper. The ICs and speaker cables in my 2 channel system are all solid silver (AudioQuest) and are very natural sounding. Same goes for the silver (Reveloution Audio Labs) and silver/copper (Signal Cable) cables in my home theater system.

You just can't look at a cable's conductor metal and think it will sound a certain way. The way the metal is drawn, finished, insulated, and the way the conductors are arranged (twist geometry) and terminated affect the sound.

I have only heard the 707s once, and I certainly would not characterize them as dull or slow sounding. I think you might want to look at another source. I have the Oppo 103 and I found it to be unlistenable with the 705s for music.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Fair enough but if he puts on Ben's IC's? He'll have more life and a laid back sound.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    DSkip wrote: »
    Have you tried the iFi with them?

Who me? I tried to hook up the nano but I think I need the drivers and can only use the PC for a source. Volts loaned me his Micro that I can hook up to the Oppo and HAD that I am going to try.
  • afterburnt
    So do yooz think that lets say some silver ICS could liven up my Slim 707's?

I don't know if generalizing silver as "bright" is accurate. I've heard harsh and bright sounding cables made with silver, silver/copper, and copper. The ICs and speaker cables in my 2 channel system are all solid silver (AudioQuest) and are very natural sounding. Same goes for the silver (Reveloution Audio Labs) and silver/copper (Signal Cable) cables in my home theater system.

You just can't look at a cable's conductor metal and think it will sound a certain way. The way the metal is drawn, finished, insulated, and the way the conductors are arranged (twist geometry) and terminated affect the sound.

I have only heard the 707s once, and I certainly would not characterize them as dull or slow sounding. I think you might want to look at another source. I have the Oppo 103 and I found it to be unlistenable with the 705s for music.

I like the sound of the Oppo better than the P5 with the 707's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I dunno about his luck with Ben's IC's. I've had them...and they did sound lively, but also with a nice tinge on those upper frequencies that I couldn't get used to.

MY take on silver cables....
    Cheap silver cables sound just as bad as cheap copper ones.
    The more expensive silver cables sound completely different.
    Having a silver/copper combo might be more pleasant to the ears.
    Positioning of silver IC's within ones system is also key.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    edited July 2017
    tonyb wrote: »
    I dunno about his luck with Ben's IC's. I've had them...and they did sound lively, but also with a nice tinge on those upper frequencies that I couldn't get used to.

Tony where do you feel is the most important position?
    Post edited by afterburnt on
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    You guys are on a roll. You might be a minute and 30 seconds too generous though.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    Done in 30 seconds? Sounds good to me.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Fair enough but if he puts on Ben's IC's? He'll have more life and a laid back sound.

Tom

*and NOT a laid back sound. This is why I hate typing on the phone. **** like this happens.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Hack
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    "P O O P" is censored? My word, what is this world coming too? Try to keep it clean and still get censored....

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Try crap
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    WTF?

Tom
  • afterburnt
    F1nut wrote: »
    Try crap

pass
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    "P O O P" is censored? My word, what is this world coming too? Try to keep it clean and still get censored....
    Tom
    RePORTED!
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    tonyb wrote: »

Tony where do you feel is the most important position?

Tony's old. I'm guessing missionary, lights off...

You'd be sooo wrong, lol.

Positioning is a matter of experimenting. Personally I find between the pre and the amp to have the most noticeable effect. The last leg before it hits the speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    You have weird sexual positions Tony. Truth be told, you are a strange man....and so is she.

OH! You are talking about audio.....never mind. You had me scared for a second.

Tom
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    You have weird sexual positions Tony. Truth be told, you are a strange man....and so is she.

OH! You are talking about audio.....never mind. You had me scared for a second.

Tom

Yup.... No scroggin allowed on the gear...... B)