I live in a Schiitty neighborhood

afterburnt
afterburnt Posts: 7,892
edited July 2017 in Headphones
Turns out that Schiit audio is just across town from me. I am going to stop by their showroom to demo their headphone amps when the Sennheiser 6XX's come. By then I should be able to save for something better than a $100 and something dollar amp. Does anyone have any experience with their more expensive amps that would be good with the above-mentioned cans? They say the have a bunch of demo stuff on hand so I can go anytime to get some ideas.

Thanks

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/best-schiit-amp-for-hd-650.733711/

I briefly skimmed through it but it looks like most were suggesting the Valhalla paired with the HD650's was a good combo.

You have the next 6 months to save the extra $250 ($350 msrp).
    I just checked Hifishark but there aren't any used Valhalla 2's or 1's (last gen) on the market right now.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Bruce do you have any other cams?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Bruce do you have any other cams?

He's going to need a lot more than amplification to get music out of one of those...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • afterburnt
    Cans? Yeah a bunch but they are real easy to drive, 30 something ohmish.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Take your favorites, plus your favorite music, take your time. DO NOT LET PRICE REFLECT

When you are fortunate to have a showroom like this available for you to test and hangout....it doesn't matter what others think
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Looking for something portable or does that not matter? Tube, solid state or hybrid? I did quite a bit of research lately but mostly tube or hybrid amps.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • afterburnt
    edited July 2017
    Looking for something portable or does that not matter? Tube, solid state or hybrid? I did quite a bit of research lately but mostly tube or hybrid amps.

Cody looking for my first foray into tubes. Assimilated recommended an opm type of amp. I want to start rolling dubes with the big boys.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    afterburnt wrote: »

Cody looking for my first foray into tubes. Assimilated recommended an opm type of amp. I want to start rolling dubes with the big boys.

Bruce did you mean doobs, dubes, or tubes? Can you hang with the big boys when it comes to dubes? If you mentioned tubes carry on, and forget that other schiit :o

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • afterburnt
    @gudnoyez better than riding a bike B)B)B)
  • afterburnt
    Btw @codycatalist that "OPM" remark was a joke OPM=other people's money, of course, he recommended an OTL amp.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited July 2017
    I haven't heard these myself but hear great things on other forums. Can get as a kit for cheaper or pre built but they use quality components.

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_006.htm

Hybrid amps though. You can switch the bias to roll multiple tube types and their two top models have auto bias switching. Interesting amps.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • afterburnt
    edited July 2017
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Take your favorites, plus your favorite music, take your time. DO NOT LET PRICE REFLECT

When you are fortunate to have a showroom like this available for you to test and hangout....it doesn't matter what others think

I drive past the place every day. I will be bugging the bejesus out of them until they give me anything that I want if I will just leave and promise to never come back.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    ... or you could just frequent their dumpster.

:)