How hot is too hot

Options

Comments

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,338
    Options
    I upped the bias on my HCA-1500 so the heat sinks run in the 116 (122 degrees is max) degree area. This equates to 17mv. The bias was at like 7-8mv and the thing would not even get warm. This made a improvement in the sound overall.

Of course it will never rival a class A in heat.

I do have at lease 6" above for venting, and it's in an open rack.

I think I'm running around 15mV and could probably up it safely.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    Options
    Ok. Here's the guts of the BDP 93. Looks somewhat different than a stock one. Not sure what all that blue stuff is on all the wires but hey have painted it everywhere. There's a few other differences too that I don't have the knowledge to comment on. insuohtkwgp3.jpg
    1587si7l8dhs.jpg
    gtr75oyr1c2d.jpg
    bc7xd4bbzqad.jpg
    og5k7bdn5dej.jpg
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • jayman_1975
    Options
    Here's the stock

qjbgdt2eee34.jpg
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • jayman_1975
    Options
    I'll get the Onk apart tomorrow and see what's up
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Magnetic ferrite cores no more than 50 cents a piece:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Ferrite-Noise-Suppressor-Diameter/dp/B00V4MMIBW/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8FY0D7XM5BJ055E8RCJM

The blue stuff is probably conductive paint but I have never seen a blue version before. Such paint, if that is what it is, is used with electric guitars to some good effect but in this case it looks like a five year old applied it.

The work seems aimed at RFI and EMI blocking. In theory it would do something. Also seemed to replace the IEC jack which may be $10. I am surprised at the limited use of hockey tape and conductive foil on hookup wires and cables. Maybe they ran low.

I have no idea what was charged, but I know now why the Company does not release photos of the expert craftsmanship and trade secrets. It appears nothing was done to the disc drive, which may be a good thing.

Out of curiosity I would contact Oppo and see what they have to say. Post it here if it's illuminating. :smile:
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Sloppy.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Emlyn
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Funny thread from PS audio on one of their "any condition" customer trade ins (scroll up and see if the work looks familiar):

http://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/upgrades/#comments

To quote Paul McGowan on one of his products sent back to him: We were the original manufacturer. It’s our product and no, we would never have done something gross like that. It was an aftermarket hatchet job performed at great expense to the customer and presented as an upgrade in sound quality. It might have been, but it destroyed the unit’s insides.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This is what a true CDP mod looks like.

Stock:
    kq9f2qlcb3mt.jpg

Modified:
    f25pv0norbw0.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    ^^^^Rookie :/

That was a purchase that I let slip through my fingers....Jolida CDP, if people are wondering :'(
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jayman_1975
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Stock:
    kq9f2qlcb3mt.jpg

Modified:
    f25pv0norbw0.jpg

Wow. I see the difference. Nice work too.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ^^^^Rookie :/

That was a purchase that I let slip through my fingers....Jolida CDP, if people are wondering :'(

Yep. Missed it by about four minutes myself.....phooey!
  • jayman_1975
    Options
    Here's the Onk

c8i2o1nucf8d.jpg
    3casyv7py53b.jpg
    xuvja7wma4ti.jpg
    nxmdh474m6ma.jpg
    g8nr1keapys1.jpg
    3lioojoes5x5.jpg
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    I'd REALLY like to know what the blue paint looking stuff is. I don't get all the ferrite cores are really doing. I've never seen them used back to back like that. That amount of heavy extra weight on everything can't be a good thing
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Is The Upgrade Company the same as Modright?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Bite your tongue
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Absolutely not.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Then I think that solves the problem. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    Modified:
    f25pv0norbw0.jpg
    What did you use to wrap your wires? I can see something red and something black that was used. If you have a wire harness with 10 wires bunched up, are you wrapping each wire individually inside the outer covering or do you take the entire harness and wrap it as if it was one large wire? Did you do this on all your electronics or just on your source? If I'm only using my Blu-ray player to play Blu-rays and not music CDs, do you think I'd notice an benefit? My system is used 99% for HT now. My personal A/V advisor that I keep on retainer never suggested anything about wrapping my wires when I had my equipment taken apart for the Dynamat treatment. Might have to fire him! :smiley:

@DSkip
  • F1nut
    Options
    Modwright mods most always address the power supply since that's where it all starts and usually he makes a separate enclosure with the new power supply in it. Again, most of his mods also involve adding a tube output stage. You know what you're paying for.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    edited July 2017
    Options
    And Dan is a forum member on several sites and has no problem explaining anything in detail. Very nice guy, as is his staff. I've done plenty business and chats with Dan over the years, he's a great guy.
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on

• jayman_1975
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It seems these mods are pretty weak sauce. I guess it doesn't sound as good as I thought. There's no way it could
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • F1nut
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Modified:
    f25pv0norbw0.jpg
    What did you use to wrap your wires? I can see something red and something black that was used. If you have a wire harness with 10 wires bunched up, are you wrapping each wire individually inside the outer covering or do you take the entire harness and wrap it as if it was one large wire? Did you do this on all your electronics or just on your source? If I'm only using my Blu-ray player to play Blu-rays and not music CDs, do you think I'd notice an benefit? My system is used 99% for HT now. My personal A/V advisor that I keep on retainer never suggested anything about wrapping my wires when I had my equipment taken apart for the Dynamat treatment. Might have to fire him! :smiley:

@DSkip

It's Techflex and heatshrink, purely cosmetic. However, I did upgrade the wire from the IEC to the power switch as well as other locations.

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It seems these mods are pretty weak sauce. I guess it doesn't sound as good as I thought. There's no way it could

I suspect it sounds better than it looks. :smile:
  • jayman_1975
    Options
    I honestly didn't think the inside of the he Onk looked that bad. There are a whole $h!t ton of wires that are wrapped so as to remove the interference they would be susceptible to if they were just stock.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • jayman_1975
    Options
    Did anyone notice the Isoclean fuse they put in? I wonder why they only did the one.
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Vandersteen V2W
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Modified:
    f25pv0norbw0.jpg

@DSkip

It's Techflex and heatshrink, purely cosmetic. However, I did upgrade the wire from the IEC to the power switch as well as other locations.
    Okay, Derek gets a pass this time.

Did you upgrade the wire to a thicker gauge or to something braided? Or just a better quality wire/better insulation? Does it produce similar results as upgrading a power cord on a smaller scale? Can you explain what you did in the lower right corner? Are those caps?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Better quality, heavier gauge wire.

Yes, those black Mundorf caps replaced the stock generic junk. They just fit under the lid.

There wasn't much in there that wasn't upgraded starting at the IEC, right through the power supply, the signal path, the clock and ending at the RCA jacks with a custom copper mounting plate. Everything was done modular in case something needed to be worked on down the road.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    A pic from the rear.

534ilzk0k9h0.jpg

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome. Most of that would be way out of my comfort zone to attempt.

Mod threads are always my favorites.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    I actually think the sub-topic(s) of this thread probably deserve a thread of their own -- if anyone were so inclined.

Me? I got nothing, unfortunately. :no_mouth: