Is a DAC gonna help, particularly an iFi Micro?

I have all but forgotten my Parlor HT 2 Channel system for music, it's only acceptable SQ is through the Oppo 103 DAC (which probably sucks to most of yooz). I want to at least try a separate DAC for the time being and I love how versatile this iFi Nano is so I am partial to the Micro version for its increased versatility and it's positive reviews. What sayz yallz, anyone running one?

Comments

• Absolute_Zero
    Absolute_Zero Posts: 72
    edited July 2017
    AudioScienceReview.com has been benching a good handful of $99 and under DAC's.

The $349 iFi DAC2 didn't fare as well on the Jitter reduction testing that was done vs the $79 Behringer 204HD. So food for thought. The 204 also will have a significantly lower noise floor with balanced outputs.

You have a good DAC in the Oppo and don't see you doing much better.

I don't see a $129 iFi doing better but if you can try it out with an option to return...
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    AudioScienceReview.com has been benching a good handful of $99 and under DAC's.

The $349 iFi DAC2 didn't fare as well on the Jitter reduction testing that was done vs the $79 Behringer 204HD. So food for thought. The 204 also will have a significantly lower noise floor with balanced outputs.

You have a good DAC in the Oppo and don't see you doing much better.

I don't see a $129 iFi doing better but if you can try it out with an option to return...

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/

This is the one that I had in mind. Which one did you see for $129?
  • You said the iFi Nano the Micro is a different offering from them.

• afterburnt
    You said the iFi Nano the Micro is a different offering from them.

I have the Nano, I want to try the Micro. Where did you see the Nano for $129?
  • afterburnt
    o k i c nano l e
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Hey I forgot I have one & you asked me before and i forgot to answer it as I think I changed the subject before answering :# my bad!

you know those cans I'm sending you? I'mm put this in there too as I not using it much these days because of my Auralic mini dac/streamer

so try it out with the Senn's and the Hifimans I'm sending. but you have to do a review afterwards :p I hate doing reviews!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • afterburnt
    LOL, I can't do big word reviews. Mine are usually like: These are great or this kindda sucks, glad I didnt pay too much for em".

Anyway, do you have the "Micro"? What do you think of it and what is your goto headphone amp?

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    IMO those LSiM speakers aren't resolving enough to make that kind of DAC upgrade worth it. If you were upgrading from straight out of a portable device or something with a terrible design to a great DAC then I'd say go for it, but going from the 103 to an entry level external DAC won't net you much if any improvement.
  • afterburnt
    Thanks, @AsSiMiLaTeD, I may get one anyway for headphone duty on my 2 channel. If I didn't say so this is a stop-gap thing. When I move the LSiM will be strictly HT.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I have all but forgotten my Parlor HT 2 Channel system for music, it's only acceptable SQ is through the Oppo 103 DAC (which probably sucks to most of yooz). I want to at least try a separate DAC for the time being and I love how versatile this iFi Nano is so I am partial to the Micro version for its increased versatility and it's positive reviews. What sayz yallz, anyone running one?

Are you really telling me that the DAC in the Halo P5 is worse than a little $200 portable DAC??? If that's true then I am really glad I only have cheap stuff lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    edited July 2017
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »

Are you really telling me that the DAC in the Halo P5 is worse than a little $200 portable DAC??? If that's true then I am really glad I only have cheap stuff lol...

Not at all. The Oppo 103 sounds substantialy better than the P5. Most would probably say the Oppo Dac is not top shelf. Reviews say that the $550 Micro sounds better than my Nano so I want opinions if anyone knows the piece and could it be an improvement. Fwiw the P5 dac is too laid back for the LSiM's.