Some days ya just get lucky...

Options
So I normally avoid Craigslist and the Facebook marketplace because I already have enough audio gear and enough projects to keep me busy for the rest of my god forsaken life.

But recently, my wife has mentioned wanting to get a road bike to bicycle with me. So I have been frequenting both places I traditionally avoid. After my daily search for a bike for her, I tend to see if there are any deals that may interest me...speakers, audio gear, kayaks, bicycles...etc.

Last night, I was perusing the Facebook marketplace and found a bicycle that my wife might be interested in (in fact, she is riding her motorcycle over to the seller's house this afternoon to check it out after her day off ride). That connection made, I moved on to my own looksies.

I did my normal generic searches "speakers" "receiver" "home stereo", etc. With little of interest.
Then I moved on to my specific brand searches. I always start with Polk Audio of course...
A bunch of car audio pops up...not interested. A bunch of newer stuff pops up...again, not my bag baby.
But then, I spy a crappy picture of a Monitor 5 box with the caption "Vintage Series 2 Monitor 5 Polk Audio Speakers".
I open the ad and get more of the same plus a price... "Vintage Series 2 Monitor 5 Polk Audio Speakers $50"
Interesting...but vague. The picture is only this:
19511203_10209965679478716_7620266220739410821_n.jpg?oh=d0603f51fd5083e1099199075911e37b&oe=59629271

Still vague.
So I shoot the seller a message asking if they were still available, if they had better pics and if they could meet up last night or today to take a look...

They reply that they do not have any other pictures but her husband can meet me at the Home Depot in West Des Moines at 10am Friday...

So I make the arrangements to meet up. Fully expecting to be disappointed but it is a slow morning so what the heck...worst case scenario, I am at least close to the best carwash in the city and can get my Jeep washed while over there.

I end up running a few minutes late so I text him to let him know.

So I get there and he gets out, we introduce ourselves and he pops open the back of his Volvo SUV...
Yup...same sketchy looking box but I do notice a household goods inventory seal on the box from the military.

We open the box and I am almost giddy...Walnut! Sorry Jess...but I hate oak. It is so overdone around here that if it isn't quartersawn, I immediately ignore it out of hand.

We pull them out so that I can inspect them and they are MINTY. Great shape with a spot or two on one grille that will easily steam out but otherwise nary a mark at all.

I hand over the cash and bring them home...

vnooqxc2verd.jpg

agfa3g4exh34.jpg

3hazm2rqvluj.jpg

17dvdllaoagc.jpg

So it appears that the sun shines on a dog's bung now and then.

Already looking at the schematics to upgrade the crossovers and trying to figure out where the heck I am going to be using them!

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    I e score.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Great shape, worth a set of RDO-198's.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Excellent find. And some of look on CL weekly and never run across deals like that. Congrats and enjoy.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    I don't why you think I like oak, I basically loathe it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    Options
    Duly noted. Jesse hates Oak. Loves the Jerry G and the GD. *winks*

Got it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • slopes1967
    slopes1967 Posts: 24
    Options
    You gotta love it when a plan comes together :) Enjoy!
    "Looks like it's bound up, with a tight looseness... Could be worse, could have been a loose tightness..."

Vintage Vinyl Man Cave:

Monitor 10a
    Rotel RB-981
    Nikko Beta 30
    Nikko Gamma 30
    Nikko NP 750
    Nikko ND 850
    Technics SL-D202

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    It's official: @ZLTFUL , you suck! :p;)
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    I think you should get a motorcycle and ride with your wife...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Actually Art, this time he didnt :) nice Score!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I think you should get a motorcycle and ride with your wife...

Yeah...I have 2 bikes already. She had the day off but I didn't.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    Excellent score!

Now I'd like to see how your wife gets a bicycle home on a motorcycle.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Congrats! Excellent score
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Actually Art, this time he didnt :) nice Score!

Do we have video proof of that?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    Are those M5s or M5Jr+?
    I can't really tell, and my M5s have the passive but just say M5.
    I disabled signatures.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Are those M5s or M5Jr+?
    I can't really tell, and my M5s have the passive but just say M5.

Monitor 5's. They have an 8" PR. The 5Jr+ has a 6-1/2" one.

• msg
    Options
    Very nice, yeah I couldn't really tell from the photos angles. Always nice getting a surprise like this :) rare out my way as well, but every once in a while...
    I disabled signatures.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Awesome score. Those look really nice. Congrats.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Nice pick up. Congrats!
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    Nice grab. I've been watching these, same as the ones you bought. https://omaha.craigslist.org/ele/6181266469.html no affil. But I have too many already, I have sets of Series II 7's and 5 Jr+. Enjoy.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Nice Ryan enjoy but that's just plain speaker Hoarding at its finest, at that price and that shape how could you say no. There's a pair of 7Bs with peerless Tweeters in are craigslist for 70 bucks but not mint I've talked myself out of the purchase.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Nice Ryan enjoy but that's just plain speaker Hoarding at its finest, at that price and that shape how could you say no. There's a pair of 7Bs with peerless Tweeters in are craigslist for 70 bucks but not mint I've talked myself out of the purchase.

True Steve. Sometimes ya just gotta say no....until the next set shows up for sale....right?
    See yall in a couple of weeks, Steve...
  • msg
    Options
    do disappointed in you, Steve...
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I disabled signatures.