The search for the perfect listening chair is over...

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I've heard those Tylers before the hot rod mod and they were very accurate without being surgically precise.
    I can only imagine what they sound like now.

And......I get to nap in that chair when I get to your house.....
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    BlueFox wrote: »
    These speakers seem to be best when the ear is at the bottom of the tweeter, and the top of the midrange. Now with the leather chair when the music gets serious I put the stool behind the chair, and sit upright.
    Sounds like we have similar tastes in where the tweeter should lie with regards to beaming past the ears for optimum sound. What you mention is exactly why I didn't want an ottoman. They simply mess with the sound too much IME.

When I put my legs up with this chair, for some reason, the sound isn't affected too much. All the way up, yes but half way to 3/4 of the way up, there is no discernible difference, so I can get as comfortable as I want.

You did get my curiosity going though Bud. If you have to sit up for optimum sound, have you ever experimented with tilting the speakers slightly down, so you didn't have to sit up "all rigid like" just to enjoy your rig at its finest?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    edited July 2018
    what, it's tobacco not chocolate.. tomatoe, tomato..
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    What do you guys use for a listening chair? Similar to yours, mines suade (the pretend stuff) been through the leather, looks nice and rich to me it's slippery and hot..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If you have to sit up for optimum sound, have you ever experimented with tilting the speakers slightly down, so you didn't have to sit up "all rigid like" just to enjoy your rig at its finest?

No on trying the tilt. However, I suspect all I need to do is adjust the front/rear spikes to achieve that. I don't mind sitting up though. I am not as rigid as you think, at least for listening. We are talking just a minor difference, and I don't need perfection to enjoy the stereo. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2017
    That's all I did to adjust for tilt. The rear spikes are all of the way in and I adjusted the fronts to where they were both dialed in at the correct height.

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    I've read a lot of threads here over the years and don't post a ton. However, with all the personalities chiming in, this has been a good, enlightening and humorous read. Here's my comments...
    treitz3 wrote: »
    It's a Lane "Eureka" power recliner and the color escapes me at the moment. The power function is whisper quiet and I detected no noise at all when reclining while in the store. This may change at home in a quieter atmosphere but it is quiet enough to where I do not think this will be a problem.
    Tom
    Tom, glad you found a good chair to enjoy the tunes in. However, to get the best out of that chair, you might consider upgrading the power cord and/or putting a power conditioner in the mix. Might make the sounds that much better and bring the noise threshold even lower. ;)
    F1nut wrote: »
    Whew, I'm back....had to take some Dramamine.
    That made me laugh... in regard to the following...
    At the moment, this chair.
    1xhevxq6fblp.jpg
    gctp1nep4jjl.jpg
    And Bluefox....

There are so many things I want to say on with regard to those pictures. First and foremost, nice setup. Second, I can appreciate not liking plain white and boring - a little more color than I'm used to but everyone has their own likes. Here are my additional observations...

1. Why the medicine ball next to the chair? Is that a workout/listening chair? Keeping those biceps in shape for the 12 oz. curls? I see the beer bottle there, so just wondering if there's a correlation.
    2. Love the light dimming corrugated you used to tone down the brightness on the amps.
    3. Makes me want to read the Bluefox kinda Friday night thread again with a new perspective. Brings a new visual to comments like the one below... was it the gear or the room?
    Currently, on beer four, I just finished Marilyn Manson, Born Villian, and now am listening to The Pale Emperor. Next Friday I plan to listen to Anti-Christ Superstar and Mechanical Animals. I'm surprised that I have developed a taste for Mr Manson. I guess when I listened in the past my gear wasn't up to his standards. :)

All in good fun. Carry on.

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    gctp1nep4jjl.jpg
    Jonas Gerard painting--cool. Where and when did you pick that up?
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 715
    My listening space improved considerably when I removed the leather sectional from the room. Too many reflections caused by leather. The discerning audiophile prefers cloth.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • BlueFox
    Derf wrote: »
    Jonas Gerard painting--cool. Where and when did you pick that up?

https://www.allmodern.com/

Same with the rug, other rugs, and other pictures.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Nobody ever listens with a friend? My wife likes listening with me so we've got a couch. Listening chairs won't do.

I only recently discovered she enjoyed It like me. Feels like winning the lottery haha
  • treitz3
    Nope, I am usually a one man band in the room and I am perfectly fine with that......actually prefer it that way. The wife doesn't like to sit in the sweet spot like I do. She will when she really wants to experience something but in general, she listens to the rig while doing things around the house.

Even when we had a couch in the LR at the old townhouse (this is where the rig was located at that pad), we would move the couch and put a chair in it's place. The couch messed with the sound too much for critical listening.

When guests come over to listen, they get the sweet spot. I get to enjoy the rig every day. They only get to enjoy it while they are here.

Tom
  • treitz3
    My listening space improved considerably when I removed the leather sectional from the room. Too many reflections caused by leather. The discerning audiophile prefers cloth.

In my experience, it's the couch that absorbs or reflects too much of the image/frequencies. Not so much the material. Same thing with a stand that's in between the speaker. When I went from a wood stand that had sidewalls to a stand that had none, it opened up the sound stage.

Given my latest discovery (talked about in this thread), I think it may have less to do with material and more to do with size, height and location.

Tom
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I have two lazy boys in my room, a 2 seater that reclines with cup holders off to one side, and a three seater with recliners, the sweet spot is in the middle couch Position.

I have a pool table in the basement with a small bar. I mostly listen alone, but every once in a while the basement is full of friends, playing pool. My couch is leather, but the room is fully treated with bass traps and refection points. Back wall is full of absorption.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited July 2017
    I'll take another angle on comfy chairs... from the Motorsports perspective.

Among my many hobbies, I'm also an auto enthusiast - an Alfista (Alfa Romeo enthusiast) to be exact. Over the years I've taken many a sporting Alfa Romeo to the local track for NW Alfa Romeo sponsored track events. Well... one time I decided to take my 1995 164LS sedan to the track... this is best described as an 'executive saloon' - almost a sports sedan, but a bit bigger and more highway cruiser than sharp canyon carver. I was going around the road course with an instructor/friend, and we were joking how it was driving around while sitting on a couch or leisure chair, and thus the following 'racing team' was born....
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited July 2017
    OK, I'll add my 2cents on a comfy chair, but it comes from the motorsports perspective, not audio listening...

One of my other hobbies is cars/motorsports - I'm a long suffering 'Alfista' - Alfa Romeo enthusiast, having owned/traded/parted and set fire (long story there) to more than 15 Alfas over the past 20 years. I've taken many a sporting Alfa to the track for club sponsored track days or driving schools. Once, instead of taking one of my more agile cars, I took my 1995 164LS sedan, which is best described as an 'executive saloon' - a competent highway cruiser, no where near a canyon carver. As I was 'deftly' managing the coned course with an instructor friend, wafting from apex to the next, we started joking how it was almost like driving from a couch or leisure chair, such was the detached, surreal experience. Thus the following 'racing team' was born...cgw4k9dki0kp.gif
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • BlueFox

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Cool looking chair!
    They claim the headrest is designed to better reflect sound around the ears.
    I am not sure this is a good thing?
    I would love to try one and see.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    A bit of a revival here but a new recliner was on my mind since I first saw this thread...Very comfy and electronically powered ... HAS AC and BATTERY

By Natuzzi... Soft leather that Ricardo Montalban would endorse.. Perfect for listening or movies or reading.... It has me up about 3" higher and is easier on my knees to get out of...

b7n0uhyyi5zr.png

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks for reviving this thread! Nice chair! I never had a listening chair per se, but you got me thinking. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited July 2018
    I had one of these originals for years. And why I gave it away as a gift is something I've been regretting for a long time. It's value back then was about 750.00.

Yes, I had the foot rest to match. :'(
    https://www.houzz.com/product/91248492-eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman-by-herman-miller-walnut-color-indigo-open-line-midcentury-armchairs-and-accent-chairs?redirect=-1&m_refid=Bing_PLA_HZ_91248492&msclkid=a0930c8695a4165e041157bd76a8f6a3
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    My listening chair, for now. :smile:
    nzigosa9pyw2.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Tony M wrote: »
    I had one of these originals for years. And why I gave it away as a gift is something I've been regretting for a long time. It's value back then was about 750.00.

Yes, I had the foot rest to match. :'(
    https://www.houzz.com/product/91248492-eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman-by-herman-miller-walnut-color-indigo-open-line-midcentury-armchairs-and-accent-chairs?redirect=-1&m_refid=Bing_PLA_HZ_91248492&msclkid=a0930c8695a4165e041157bd76a8f6a3

I have one of those!

jf3vvvteafva.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited July 2018
    So, I don't know anything about this thread, really, but it reminded me of this old Far Side cartoon.

0owod6j4o8bu.png

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    these were all the rage in the 80's at the highend audio stores, I had two in my listening room.
    aork1e8jbjnj.jpg
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Tony M
    edited July 2018
    I think I sat it one of those folding "captains" chairs when I auditioned some Bang & Olufson skinny towers in a high end shop in Alexandria Va. a very long time ago.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    "Directors" chairs TonyM

Captain's chairs were the ones they put in the vans IIRC

26wzxtefjjvl.png

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Tony M
    edited July 2018
    DUH...You're right. ;):)

I'm really sick and foggy! :s:'(
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    n9lvxbalxn82.jpg
    This is mine for the last bit!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited July 2018
    Try turning it upside down, it will be less like a toilet! However my Kohler in the most comfortable seat in my house.

Where's @nbrowser ?
    Post edited by Hermitism on