New to Polk and New to home audio help!!

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome Wicked to Club Polk.

You are putting together a great system. Get the Pro 440.

I have a 5.2 system, with S60s as my main speakers. I use the FXI-3s as my back speakers. They are 6 ft from the ground and about 6-8 ft apart from each other mounted in the studs in the wall. My couch is against the back wall along with the speakers, but it sounds just great to me. Here are a couple of shots.

ym3osyk6pir8.jpg
    u8f1q3ewfvrd.jpg
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    What's with all the girly froo-froo pillows on the couch, Cathy?

:p
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited April 2017
    lightman1 wrote: »
    What's with all the girly froo-froo pillows on the couch, Cathy?

:p

That's to hide the blood stains on the wall, dang stuff is hard to get off. You don't just go over to Cathy's without a beatin'....for something. ;)

Notice the convenient light switch too, sit on the couch, lights go off....and whack !!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    Watch it Russ, Tony is my henchman, I'll send him after you if you're not careful!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I would skip the 111 and go right to the DSW Pro 550 or 660. They are really great subs for the money.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I would skip the 111 and go right to the DSW Pro 550 or 660. They are really great subs for the money.

I'd second that suggestion, or go for an HSU or SVS sub. Subwoofers don't have to be the same brand as speakers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Watch it Russ, Tony is my henchman, I'll send him after you if you're not careful!

Does this recruitment come with a paycheck ? Just askin' is all, there's expenses involved ya know. Gotta feed Russ and buy him a few drinks before I can bop him over the head. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    I'll take you to the North End for some Italian food.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I'll take you to the North End for some Italian food.

Don't do it,
    Sounds like a set up
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    tonyb wrote: »

Does this recruitment come with a paycheck ? Just askin' is all, there's expenses involved ya know. Gotta feed Russ and buy him a few drinks before I can bop him over the head. ;)

Make sure you have a chair high enough to stand on to reach my head, stumpy.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Make sure you have a chair high enough to stand on to reach my head, stumpy.

The struggle is real.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Hi Brett, welcome to Club Polk.

If sticking with Polk for your sub, get the DSW Pro 660 and if it will be sitting on carpet the stock spikes aren't tall enough, so plan on getting ones that are at least 2" tall. 2.5" is even better.

Jesse

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    tonyb wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

I'd second that suggestion, or go for an HSU or SVS sub. Subwoofers don't have to be the same brand as speakers.

I 2nd HSU or SVS. it all depends on your budget

less than $1000 = HSU
    More than $1000 = SVS
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    edited April 2017
    Hi Brett,
    Welcome.

Jesse gives good advice. Solid, accurate & correct. It won't be kind to your wallet, but that will be your choice to make.

Dave (westmassguy) is also another person to pay attention to.
    I got my learn on based upon a couple of answers he gave me to questions I posed.

There's a lot of good-natured & sometimes off-topic banter here.
    Laugh a bit & then filter it.

And don't tick off Cathy.
    She will find you & death then would be a kind relief :-)
  • wickedg8gt
    wickedg8gt Posts: 52
    Hello everyone. Long time no talk; and hope all is well. I haven't been on in a few weeks do to condo and family issues. So I figured I'd give you all an update on my living room/theatre room. After a few issues, I finally closed on the condo this past Friday. I move in, in 2 weeks.

I'm ready to start buying everything I need. And coincidentally; Crutchfield just reduced the price on all their Signature series speakers. I will definitely keep you all updated. As I will also need some more help with the FXi A6 placement and maybe other random questions.
  • wickedg8gt
    Heres the first look of my new livingroom.f336e0j28tqf.jpg
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Looks great! Jut curious, why did you decide to go with the smaller center?
  • wickedg8gt
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Looks great! Jut curious, why did you decide to go with the smaller center?

Honestly, I was originally going to go with a 100 or 106 but instead chose the 110. And really, I couldn't go to much bigger anyway.
  • wickedg8gt
    I have a question.

My couch is going to be against the wall. I'm going to hang the A6's on the wall; in some relation to the couch. So how high or left and right should they be mounted in relation to the couch? Then in relation to the seating positions ears?
  • Airplay355
    Do you have the manual? There are different suggestions for placement and dipole vs bipole settings.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If your going place your couch against the wall, front firing speakers would be a better choice for surrounds. The FX speakers need to be away from corners to work properly.

• wickedg8gt
    Do you have the manual? There are different suggestions for placement and dipole vs bipole settings.

I did look at it, but still not sure the exact difference between the 2, nor what best placement is?
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    I concur with the S20 choice as fronts in that size room. Your AVR will have a little more headroom and you can sink extra coin into a quality sub. If HT is the main focus here, go SVS, HSU, JL or Velodyne for a sub and lock it down.
  • Airplay355
    I've mounted them on the back before and loved it. I like them best because you can't tell there's a speaker right behind you. I've got a new setup now and I'm about to mount them on the sides because that's all the room allows. I don't want them on stands, I'm going for 5-6 feet up. My walls are angled so they'll be angled down at the listening position. I'm not sure if that's better or worse but it's all I've got. I should have it setup this weekend so I'll report back if you're curious :)
  • wickedg8gt
    Here's my couch/seating wall with my projector mounted above middle seat. I'm just not sure how far left/right and up/down to mount them in comparo to the seating? Thank you.

afzzc7c0zxxc.jpg
  • wickedg8gt
    deronb1 wrote: »
    I concur with the S20 choice as fronts in that size room. Your AVR will have a little more headroom and you can sink extra coin into a quality sub. If HT is the main focus here, go SVS, HSU, JL or Velodyne for a sub and lock it down.

I do currently have a sub. It's a 300 watt, 8 inch woofer.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You want to mount the fx speakers about 5 feet from the floor, centered on the tweeter, or about 20 to 24 inches above your ear height when seated. You also want about 3 feet between the speakers. I would probably center them on the outside seating positions of the couch, or a little more towards each end of the couch.
  • wickedg8gt
    rpf65 wrote: »
    You want to mount the fx speakers about 5 feet from the floor, centered on the tweeter, or about 20 to 24 inches above your ear height when seated. You also want about 3 feet between the speakers. I would probably center them on the outside seating positions of the couch, or a little more towards each end of the couch.

Yes my friend, I was thinking the same thing. Like these 2 examples-
    196y4ygib4ab.png
  • wickedg8gt
    I've mounted them on the back before and loved it. I like them best because you can't tell there's a speaker right behind you. I've got a new setup now and I'm about to mount them on the sides because that's all the room allows. I don't want them on stands, I'm going for 5-6 feet up. My walls are angled so they'll be angled down at the listening position. I'm not sure if that's better or worse but it's all I've got. I should have it setup this weekend so I'll report back if you're curious :)

Yes sir, I'd love to see your setup. I'd love to see everyones.
  • Airplay355
    edited July 2017
    Maybe you could get a ladder and a friend to help you out? Then you could try out a few positions while someone holds a speaker and another one rests on a ladder. Otherwise, I bet if you put them on the edge of the couch they would sound fine. You might be limited by where the studs in the wall happen to be. I think placement is less critical with fx speakers because their job is to diffuse sound anyway. I would give aligning the edge of the cabinets with the edge of the couch a try.