What is a "Musical" system to you?

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,311
Hello folks and good afternoon to you. This should prove to be an entertaining and exhaustive thread because this is commonly referred to in audiophilia as the "worst" definition of a description describing a system and its merits or reproductive effort thereof.

I have my own definition, I'm quite sure you have your own. Russ (Lightman1) has his own warped, drug filled, Tibetan monk, sheep loving description as well. Nobody is wrong, everybody has their own description of what is "musical" when it comes to a system's reproductive efforts.

Here is the question;

What is your own personal description of "musicality" when describing what you want in a system? In other words, what is "musical" to you?

Please accept my apologies in advance Mods. I know full well that this is a controversial subject and that folks may end up being banned over this topic. (Hint, hint, Russ...hehe)

With that said, it is a topic worthy of discussion because everybody has a different take on what is musical to them.

On your mark, get set.....GO!

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Sweet Jesus, Tom... a three hour debate on resistors and you now bring it public?
  • lightman1
    Options
    Music.. Why do we love it?
    Or.... fvckin A! This sounds great!
  • treitz3
    Options
    You did not answer the question.

Shut up Russ.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    Options
    Musicality of what?
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • lightman1
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

That's when I punch Tom across the jaw.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Oh dear.....we haven't even STARTED discussing the topic and LM1 is threatening me with a breeze in the wind.

Shut up Russ.

Tom
  • vmaxer
    Options
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • treitz3
    Options
    Hehe...preach it brother!!!

LOL

Tom
  • vmaxer
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hehe...preach it brother!!!

LOL

Tom

Longer version, just for you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8QxIIz1yEsA
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    The new Ken will see this tomorrow and not know what to do...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,427
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Smooth, tight, clear, detailed without being harsh or fatiguing, controlled, articulate, draws me into the music. Provides for listening sessions that are great for just lounging around in, and also engaging for more 'active' listening sessions, involving myself, paying closer attention to the music. Sometimes the experience is such that it's so good it seems like I can't get enough.

Weird. That's just like the kinds of women I like, too.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    IMHO, a musical system should bring all elements of a recording to life in the same manner as the recording was made. It should do so in a way that gives life to each voice or instrument without adding or subtracting anything from the performance while accurately portraying each element as it was presented during the recording session.

Further, the equipment itself can impart no coloration or signature of its own, and therein lies the problem with audio playback. I chose to pair my Tube amps with Pass Labs because my amps tend to be on the warm side of things, and the Pass seems to counter the warmth enough to compensate. This is where that elusive thing called synergy comes in, and everything from the gear, to room treatments and cables come into play. Personal preferences also plays a major role here, and why there are so many pathways to personal nirvana...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lightman1
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Smooth, tight, clear, detailed without being harsh or fatiguing, controlled, articulate, draws me into the music. Provides for listening sessions that are great for just lounging around in, and also engaging for more 'active' listening sessions, involving myself, paying closer attention to the music. Sometimes the experience is such that it's so good it seems like I can't get enough.

Weird. That's just like the kinds of women I like, too.

You just described the non-consequential equipment factor of the presentation, Scott.
    Or..the artist who loves music. Cables have a bearing. AVRs are justifiable. I've spent $14k on a pre. It didn't make a song sound better.
    I've heard music that makes $100 speakers sound weak....or bring it to life......
    I've heard music that has no life..or what you call "musicality".
    Love ya, Tom...but sometimes you have to stop and listen.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Well hell @nooshinjohn .... what makes your system so much better? This alledged musicalty of your gear?
    Do you sit down after a days work in front of your gear with an expectation of sound from the TT or just pressing play to hear the artist?
    The music above musicality. No shizzzzx.. gear has an effect.....but it has an effect upon the music. The music affects the gear.

Do Y'all hear music or do Y'all hear sound?

• lightman1
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Honestly, there isn't a way to actually describe a musical system in the words I have in my bain. That said however if I can sit there and just enjoy what I'm hearing, it's right. If it sounds bad then it isn't musical to my ears. It just has to sound...right to YOUR ears...know what I mean?

Agree with most of that, Ken. Tom has a notion that if it doesn't have perfect frequency at any level, it's not worthy of his rig.....
    We have debated this for over 10 years. I have mixed down mono music that comes from Robert Johnsons heart....'Soul!'.... But all he could hear was the "lack of life in the mids and the highs degraded".......
    Shut up, Tom.....fork cables, fook a hand built pre from Tibetan Monks. Play the music AT a quality sound signature.... but don't be a terd about it.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Pretty simple: when it sounds like actual flesh and blood people singing and or playing actual musical instruments -- it is good hifi.
  • lightman1
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Pretty simple: when it sounds like actual flesh and blood people singing and or playing actual musical instruments -- it is good hifi.

Bullseye, Mark......
  • treitz3
    Options
    Perfect response and frequency is overrated.

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If it don't have an equalizer and a pair Cerwin Vega' s and Monster cable all around it will never be musical.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,386
    Options
    Played THIS a few hours ago at FULL VOLUME (the Connons fireing) (see sig) had 2 neighbors come to the door very concerned that we had a FIREWORKS accident in the house and wanted to see if we were allright! LMAO.mnfltb9qwniz.jpg
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Obviously you had speakers "TOED" in
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    LOL
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    They actually didn't believe that it was my stereo! So I repeated the cannon section at close to max volume and one guy almost sewed his beer all over my living room and the other one just shook his head and didn't say a word.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    when blood shoots from my eyes, that's musical!
  • msg
    Options
    I'm noticing it's not uncommon for feet to be in a lot of hifi gear photos I see. Someone's gonna do a hifi audio calendar or coffee table photo book someday - HiFi and Feet. It's gonna have bare feet, socked feet, dirty socks, holey socks, and at least one sack getting blown back.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Agreed
    Should have seen me trying to take pictures of the Dyn's for the for sale ad

I was in my underwear had to put on a Tuxedo
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• msg
    Options
    Underwear and cumberbunds sell speakers. It's a fact.
    I disabled signatures.
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Oh thanks txcostal1, that's a picture I won't get out of my head for years, you in a tux! Never mind underware! I may need therapy.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • txcoastal1
    edited July 2017
    Options
    cumberbunds???? I'm not in that part of TX

And I don't look like a victoria secrets model....Now I could sell bacon and brownies