Gearing up to buy my first home

At 26 I am starting the motion of buying my first home, ETA May 2018.

Have a couple credit cards to pay down but with my and my wife's (soon to be) income we should have no problem paying them down, saving 6k+ and get a loan soon. Pretty exiting time for us as we will get my daughter 50/50, child support will go away so that adds almost a grand to my income a month and we won't have to deal with neighbors right above or to the left of us!

All audio purchases are on hold for the foreseeable future but for a good end result. Can't wait to be able to set the SDAs and crank them in celebration!
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Congrats man, seems like you have your head on straight. Good luck with the process.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Congrats on the plan and expected result. Hoping all things come together for you.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Congrats man, seems like you have your head on straight. Good luck with the process.
    Legender wrote: »
    Congrats on the plan and expected result. Hoping all things come together for you.

Thanks! Plan is pretty straight forward, it also helps my mother in law processes mortgage loans so she ran my credit and came up with a plan. Should easily be able to get a loan for $250,000 or so which is a good amount for the area I want to reside in. Buy this house and spend 5-10 years here then move back to the east side of metro Phoenix (where I live now). I'm gonna miss being able to just leave to the river 15 minutes away but it will be worth it to have my kid more.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    You can purchase a nice place in Phoenix for 250 grand? WTF am I doing in this cold a$$ place during the winter.

Btw congrats.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You can purchase a nice place in Phoenix for 250 grand? WTF am I doing in this cold a$$ place during the winter.

Btw congrats.

Why do you think people like MDpicker ran south

You can get 3000sq ft for 250k here
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorhead43026
    edited July 2017
    Wow, that is 1200 more square feet than I have here for 30,000.00 more.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• codycatalist

Btw congrats.

In a good neighborhood I can probably get a 3-4 bedroom 2-3 bath house around 1800-2000 sq ft for 200K-250K roughly. As in most markets depends on the area but where I will be moving to will be a more expensive suburb of metro Phoenix. Where I live currently (East side of Metro Phoenix) is it much cheaper and an overall better area but alas I cannot live 35 miles from the little one anymore.

• motorhead43026
    edited July 2017
    ^^That is comparable to where I live now. I will probably head Southwest (TX) when I relocate. I have a sister in Austin, sorry I did not buy a house there 8-10 years ago.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Congrats Cody ;)

^^That is comparable to where I live now. I will probably head Southwest (TX) when I relocate. I have a sister in Austin, sorry I did not buy a house there 8-10 years ago.

Austin is about 50k more than the houston, san antonio area

There are out lying towns around Austin that I personally would rather live, b/c Austin is the worst traffic in TX
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorhead43026
    Ahead of me, I was 32 before we bought our first house a 1960's brick ranch. It was a whole $45,000.00. Still struggled to scrape up the 3,000.00 down payment FHA loan.

• motorhead43026
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Congrats Cody ;)

There are out lying towns around Austin that I personally would rather live, b/c Austin is the worst traffic in TX
    Congrats Cody ;)

Yeah, she recently built a house in Georgetown on the Cimarron Golf course. I still refer to it as Austin in error.

• codycatalist
    Georgetown is nice, same with Round Rock. I have family in Jarrell which is a nice place too but a pretty small town...windy as all get out too.

• motorhead43026
    That is where she lived before Georgetown, Round Rock. Round Rock doughnuts, best on the planet.

• codycatalist
    That is where she lived before Georgetown, Round Rock. Round Rock doughnuts, best on the planet.

They are mighty fine donuts o:)

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Good for you Cody! We have Shipley Do Nuts down here around Houston, I think they have a few other locations. They are awesome.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Be glad you're not buyin' in New England... we run a bit pricier up here.
    Good luck; hope your quest goes smoothly!

• codycatalist
    Thanks all! I am just excited to have the room for more gear...don't tell the wife.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

Btw congrats.

Wow... 3000sq ft house is about 400k-450k here.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited July 2017
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Btw congrats.

To the OP First off congrats on the home purchase.

3000sq ft here is 600k + here. Glad we are not in Vancouver or Toronto.
  • codycatalist
    Willow wrote: »

Btw congrats.

Are we talking fully loaded house? You can get upwards to the 600-700k for that size in Arizona but we are talking waterfall pool granite counter tops etc.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Congrats on the house plan... keep working on it.

San Diego is insane for housing cost. I keep telling my wife we need to sell and move. Sell this place and pay cash with what we will pull out of it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    That is awesome! My dsughter is also 26 and she just heard her offer was accepted on her first home. Only 64k tho...lol45nylo1kgaj2.jpg
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Congratulations. I didn't buy my first house until I was 40. Even then it was tight.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

Btw congrats.

Are we talking fully loaded house? You can get upwards to the 600-700k for that size in Arizona but we are talking waterfall pool granite counter tops etc.

First off, congratulations! 450 would be double car garage, fully loaded. Turn key, and usually a developed basement. The housing market is crazy up here, and they make it practically impossible for new home owners to buy a house up here.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862

Btw congrats.

In my neighbourhood, it's not fully loaded, turn key, yes but no pool or fountains and not necessarily a finished basement. Ours for example is 2300 sq ft and recently valued at 520000. We have a premium lot and only some upgrades. No granite yet.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Be glad you're not buyin' in New England... we run a bit pricier up here.
    Good luck; hope your quest goes smoothly!

Ain't that the truth! I've been looking at land for the past year to potentially build. For 1 acre, $110k-125k is ridiculous. After its cleared and utilities stubbed in, I'm already close to $200k. THEN comes the house. Yuck!

I bought my first house at 26. We looked at 52 houses before we bought. Our realtor hated us. We also made the mistake of not budgeting for normal house items once we moved in. Had to have my parents buy us an early xmas present because we didn't have enough for a lawnmower.

Have fun!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • codycatalist
    deronb1 wrote: »
    That is awesome! My dsughter is also 26 and she just heard her offer was accepted on her first home. Only 64k tho...lol45nylo1kgaj2.jpg

That's a nice looking home though, 64,000 would be a deal for me haha! Congrats to her!

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Congrats, Cody!
  • codycatalist
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Congrats, Cody!

Thanks Russ!

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Thanks Cody, and didnt mean to hijack your thread. Its was an older couple who took great care of and put a lot of love into it. So many in that price range we looked at were neglected crap shacks. Told her to offer list and ask for some help at closing.