any Slowdive fans here?

msg
msg Posts: 9,308
I've been hitting soma.fm for music a lot, lately. Was typically just listening to their Groove Salad station for the downtempo electronic chillout stuff, but hopped on and had another look at their station lineup and was checking out the Indie Pop Rocks channel. Coming in from some yardwork I hear this really sweet piece and pull up Orange Squeeze controller on my phone - it was Slowdive. some album cover and track I didn't recognize. So I pull up Spotify real quick - they have a new flippin' album that came out this year! I knew they were on tour again, but thought it was another leg of the original material. Haven't heard the whole album yet, but will check it out in a bit.

soma is one of the best resources for new music that I've found. channel support for a bunch of different genres. Pandora was getting stupid stale for me. I swear they must have me a in a 50 song loop and try to cheat me by suggesting tracks from my other stations. I say, nope Pandora, try harder you lazy #$%&*. I don't give a care, I'll use up all my skips on your azz 'til you play something good. Think I'm canceling that subscription momentarily, in fact.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4nSWX5A4xVomzrOEGDKLQ6
https://tidal.com/album/72486104
oyol2pdyhhhz.png
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I'll check it out when I get home from work!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • msg
    Cool!

Finally getting around to give it a little listen while working on some stuff.
    Definitely sounds like Slowdive, but some vocals still echo Mojave 3/Neil Halstead in some tracks.

In classic Slowdive fashion, the guitar work is beautiful, floaty and ethereal.
    Gonna take a few listens to get a proper feel for it.

The presence of Rachel Goswell's voice, of course, is a requirement/giveaway for the Slowdive sound.
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    did you add it to my playlist for spotify? ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    No, but I will! :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • I found these guys a few months back and instantly went out and bought Souvlaki, then later Pygmalion. I listened to this album around the same time and I thought that it was just ok.
    But then again I was listening to it at work so it wasnt the ideal environment. Lol
  • msg
    edited July 2017
    Ah, nice, man! Yeah, Souvlaki was the first album of theirs I bought, back in 93/94, I think? and is probably my favorite. I just remember listening to it driving down to Wilmington, NC to go surfing at Crystal Pier back in the old Air Force days. Good times... that's a special one for me, those summers, and a good late night chill album. Picked it up on vinyl last year, a reissue, but I think one or two of the tracks are shaved from it. Most of the other stuff I enjoy from them are a few tracks off of different albums and EPs. Slowdive and Catch The Breeze, for example.

Mojave 3 was the evolution of Slowdive - completely different sound, still good in a different way, but here they are now, back again as Slowdive, with this new album, and on tour. They put on a spacey, lushy show.

But yeah, probably not the best for work unless you take a second job sleep testing mattresses.
    I disabled signatures.
  • AngerB
    AngerB Posts: 23
    present ! something frequently played by daren revel on 93.6 FM in detroit in the late 90's early 2000's