In wall speakers or wall mount RTi speakers?

trj
trj Posts: 320
Hi everyone. It has been sometime since I posted in the forums. Now, I have a question regarding the wall mount or in wall speakers.
We are building a house(exciting but expensive) and I am getting builder to put prewires for 7.1 in our living room. The room layout is pretty bad for speaker placement. 19.5 feet high ceiling living room, open to kitchen(9 ft high) and breakfast area(9 ft high) and open loft above on side. Still in planning phase, so I have plenty of time to decide on what speakers to get.
There are 9 foot windows on one wall, fireplace with 9 foot niches on either side of the fireplaceon one wall, and no walls on any other sides. So any speaker prewires will be at least at 9 foot high. There is absolutely no place to put the TV except above the fireplace. The center speaker has to go above the TV, unless I want to strain my neck even more by keeping the center below the TV and raising it even more. Hence, getting 7 speaker wiring run at 9 foot high around the room, just above the windows and niches.

I already have RTi8s, CSi5, RTi4s and FXiA3s currently running in my apartment. I plan to move the whole set to the basement when I finish it (in about 3 years time) so who knows.

I would like to know what are your thoughts?
1. Go with in walls speakers all around. Say, something like RC85i, RC60i or Mica M-8S.
2. Mount RTi4, FXiA4s and CSi5 for LCR and side surrounds and get in walls like RC85i for rear surrounds.

For option 1, what would be other alternatives to the given list. I dont want to spend a lot because I am going to build a dedicated theater in the basement later. This would be just a regular entertainment area. I cant stand the sound from just TV or sound bars.
For option 2, I am leaning towards RC85i because they are supposed to match with RTis.

I have not listened to any of above in walls personally, but I read favorable reviews on RC85i and Mica M-8S, both with pivoting tweeters. The money I will be spending on buying mounts for my current speakers can be used for buying in walls if they will deliver what RTi setup does.

I know the acoustics are going to be horrible but I dont have any other place in the house to have a decent sounding system, at least till I finish the basement. This would be our primary TV, movie watching area. I would repurpose the RTi8s for stereo purpose in the office.
Wife doesnt want the speakers on the floors, else I would have just used RTi8's for the front pair. I dont know if wall mounting the RTi4s, FXiA4s and CSi5 is going to fly with the wife but for now, she is ok with it.
The center speaker is going to end up above the TV, so having a tweeter that can be directed is important.
Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300

Comments

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Well, here's what my original wall mount installation looked like.

I had a home theater contractor install in wall wiring for a 'clean' look.

RTi4s for fronts, CSi3 center, and RTi4s for surrounds.

Not the best pictures, but you can use these for the WAF. ;)
    http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/home-theater-2.JPG
    http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/hometheater/RTI4-Omni-mount-2.JPG

I went wall mounts as I figured I may be upgrading down the road. In-walls kinda make that harder.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • trj
    Erik, I have seen those pictures while searching for the ways to mount these speakers. That is kind of how I want to mount my current speakers. I am thinking of this shelf like mount for CSi5 and possibly wedge it to face down wards.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00155PSXS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

And for RTi4s (and possibly RTi6 if I buy them instead of in walls)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9O8SI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1YX7EB80E4EIU

I guess I am confused on the performance of in wall speakers. I have never heard polk RC85is or Mica M-8S to compare against bookshelf speakers or towers like RTi Series. I have heard a couple of builder grade in walls and I didnt like their sound at all. I dont know what speakers they used. May be they didnt even run the room calibration software. Polk RC85i came into picture because, the description says its timber matched to RTi series. And Micas were just recommended on the same page in amazon. For HT and back ground music, RTi series is more than capable. If RC85is can deliver 80% of what RTi bookshelves do, I would lean towards getting in-walls.
    Being a noob in in-wall speakers, any other in walls that you guys recommend instead of mounting the RTis? I will be re-purposing the RTis later in the basement, so not really concerned about wasting them.
    I guess I am trying to find in walls that are comparable to RTis so WAF is maintained and I dont loose much in SQ.

Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I hear ya on the WAF....my concern would be the height of everything involved and the size of the room. To me anyway, if you have built in shelving on both sides of the fireplace, possible to slide a bookie on those shelves that port out the front and not the rear. The sig series S35 center is pretty low profile too and I wouldn't see an issue with it blending.

Hopefully it's not a wood burning fireplace, having a TV over a wood burner is asking for problems. Been there done that.

If your stuck with your original idea and placement, I'd suggest getting the best, biggest Polk in walls you can afford. That room will bleed a lot of sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    BTW, do you plan on setting floor space aside for a subwoofer ? If not, even more a reason to go biggest in-walls you can afford.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2017
    I installed Polk in-walls/ceiling when I finished an owner completion lighted lower level. Our lower level is like 4 feet below ground level and has windows. The better the speakers you use that you can budget for, the more enjoyment you get out of the system. You are not buying a handsome cabinet so all the money is for the speaker/xover.

I have two LCi265's (like LSi9's) for right and left (highly recommended), an LC65i for center and two LC60i in ceiling for surrounds. The wife loved the fact no speakers to move or knock over while cleaning. No speaker wires on the floor. They perform very well, but the drawback is you can't move them to change your setup. A few years back I bought an external LCi Center speaker (two woofers one tweeter). Much better than the LC65i center IMO. However they do make an LCi C in wall center now.

While not absolutely necessary per Polk, if you have bare walls you can use 2x4's to build the proper size enclosed space in wall for the speakers, and use MDF for the ceiling speaker enclosures between the joists. Polk actually makes or made an in wall enclosure for my LCi265's, unsure if they still do. It was pricey IIRC. IIRC they still make in wall sub enclosures, though the subs are not large.

I have an SVS PB12-NSD sub in the corner. I used in wall rated speaker wire and in wall coax for the sub. A large wall plate with speaker connectors was used for connecting to amp. A wall plate has coax connector for sub.

Ask your builder to install these enclosures. If they won't or want to charge a high price, ask if you can install the enclosures. Some builders do not allow buyers to do anything. You will need exact dimensions of where your enclosures are located once you install the speakers. I also took pictures of all open walls before insulation went in and walls were covered so I know where water pipes, HVAC, plumbing and electrical wires are located in entire house/garage. HVAC includes cold air returns. Some communities building codes do not allow any wiring in cold air returns, for instance. Even plenum rated wire.

My builder let me do anything low voltage, so I installed a central vacuum and whole house music system. The whole house music system also doubles as the door bell. Volume control in every room speaker, so you can shut them down. There are high voltage central vacs that have 120v for the rug beater attachment. We are all hardwood/tile due to allergies so i just needed low voltage to turn the vacuum motor mounted in basement on. We love the central vac, just plug the hose in wall and carry the various attachments around in a caddy.

I also ran phone, cat 5 and video cable to three walls in every room. I installed a media box in basement. (Back when I built the place in '99, wireless sucked). I was also able to insulate the inside walls myself as that was extra cost for them to do it.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • trj
    @tonyb Yes, I do agree that room is going to suck for acoustics, but have to do with what I have. s35 looks interesting, but I am going to have them run wire above the TV, the wire will be hidden behind the TV, but still some portion of it will be visible above the TV. WAF may not score good points there. Same goes for the speakers on the shelf inside the niche proposition as well. Plus, I will have to buy the whole S series. I am kind of OCD, I will definitely be bothered with S35 paired with RTis. :)
    Too early in the process, hence trying to guage what my options will be. I can definitely use my RTis till I decide.
    And yes, I am having them pull a sub woofer line to the far corner of the room. That way I have flexibility of running dual subs with one sub near the receiver.

@SCompRacer LCis are in the picture, but a little too expensive to splurge right about now with buying this house.
    Unfortunately, my builders will not allow me to do anything by myself or third party contractor till the day I close. Even if I give them the materials, they wont install it. So, I am basically designing everything on paper and they install it with their materials. I have verified with them about the wires they are going to run and they all are from reputed companies. Hopefully everything they are saying they will install is what they will install.
    I do plan on taking pictures/video of everything while the walls are open. Infact, the builder will ask us to come and see if everything is upto spec/want to change anything before closing the walls. So, I do have option to change any wiring (high/low voltage) while the walls are open.
    I am running two cat6 and one rg6 to every room, once cat6 in the garage, porch and patio each, and dual rg6 and dual cat6 to master and living room and a conduit from attic to basement along with 7.1 in wall wiring in the living room. This should keep me future proofed for a while, I hope. I wanted to run empty conduit from every room to the basement and do the wiring my self, but the price was just too much ($500 per room), hence decided to just run cat6. No whole house vacuum though, I never liked it, not does the wife. I used to work in IT hardware installs, so low voltage install is not really a problem. Its the builder that is not going to let me install anything. I certainly plan on making sure the wiring is upto the mark.

I appreciate all the feedbacks. Keep them coming. It will help me decide on what speakers I should be looking at. Doesnt have to be polks but this is the first place I turn to for audio advice, so I am partial to the brand.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited June 2017
    Maybe take this in phases?

If you can't mod the walls for inwalls until after you close, and you already have speakers, just wall mount them in the best spots you can since you said your wife is ok with that for now.

That will buy you time til you move the system downstairs to further investigate inwalls to see if they will meet your needs/expectations.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Polk In-Walls. RTi Vanishing Series. I had an RTi setup that was floor standers and bookshelves and such while I was waiting for time to put this in. This setup way out performs that individual speaker setup.

fgd9k6k8coob.jpg
    rfp5buah3h8tsy.jpg

They were a piece of cake to install. Just cut a hole using the template, run your wire and the cleats hold it in place quite well.

I have one exposed on the rear so I'll get you a picture of that so you can see what the deal is.

If I end up moving, these are coming with me. I'll just patch the walls.

For HT, I'd do in-walls again in a heartbeat. You actually have much more flexibility in placement for not only lateral positioning but vertical positioning as well. You can also get your dialog source (the center channel) right next to your screen which helps dramatically with the viewing experience.

My basement is a literal movie theater and with the bass response from the in-walls utilizing the hollow wall enclosures (in the basement, no need to insulate masonry walls), the sub is set low. Crossover is like 70 Hz and all it does is kick your butt. The dynamics and imaging are as good as any movie theater I've been in but when used for music, they sound amazing as well.

Like SCompRacer said, the in-walls can provide you with very nice speakers for a deal. They are a bit more of a pain to install but Polk has made it very simple to do anymore.

As you can see as well, with the grilles on, they pass a WAF test with flying colors. My gf thinks they look cool with the grilles off too.

Also, one good point, the tweeters on the in-walls, at least the Vanishing Series, can be swiveled to point at the listening position so they can be placed higher than standalone speakers can. The point of HT is to be an immersive experience with the sound and vision aspects blending and complimenting each other. So you want your drivers on as close to the same plane as each other as you can get and it should be close to the same plane as your visual experience as well. Then it is less likely that the sound will draw you attention away from the screen or vice versa. It makes for an engaging, immersive experience.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • trj
    @Erik Tracy Yes, I think that would be an approach to take. Upgrade the speakers in phases. If only I could listen to different in wall speakers and compare them in a similar floor plan that would have been so easy. No dealer has such setup for demo.

@Jstas I thought the RT/RTi vanishing series were not in production anymore. And when you say its better than the floor standing RTi Series for HT, thats even better. Thank you for the recommendation. I will keep it in my list for sure.

This being a new house, I know I will get permission from wife to cut the walls only once. So, want to get it right. :)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Sorry, meant RT series. Force of habit with the RTi.

But they are still available it seems: https://www.polkaudio.com/home-audio-speakers/in-wall-in-ceiling-speakers

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_12600/In-wall-Speakers.html#&nvpair=FFBrand|Polk Audio
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • trj
    @jstats Thanks for recommendation. Definitely going to check them out.

@tonyb Forgot to answer in my earlier post. Its not a wood burning fireplace.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    trj wrote: »

This being a new house, I know I will get permission from wife to cut the walls only once. So, want to get it right. :)

When it's time, rent, beg or borrow a Rotozip (or other brand) drywall cutter. They have attachments to cut circles. They also offer a vacuum attachment for the tool to suck up dust as you cut. Use a shop vac though, drywall dust can kill a vacuum cleaners motor bearings. Very fine and abrasive.

For rectangular cuts you can attach straight strips of wood to cutout portion for perfect straight edges. Or take a walk on the wild side, go freehand.... :o

You can just use a drywall knife too.

https://youtu.be/Fmicz_HpbPg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • trj
    Great suggestions on the tools you guys. I certainly have no skills with drywall so any help I can get with getting the cuts right is good. Got a final appointment with the design center this week and then I sign the papers. Cant wait for the house build to get started.
  • trj
    edited June 2017
    Finally signed off on the low voltage/electrical and design options for the house. What an ordeal it is. Its exciting at the same time very stressful. Who knew there were a million and half tile choices, and thousand shades of gray paint. We enjoyed the process and we are glad that the house will be exactly how we want it to be. Although my bank account is going to cry for another 30 years. Now that part is over, its just wait and watch. They have started pouring the foundation. The completion date is late march of 2018 so, plenty of time.

I am attaching the floor plan of the first floor with the low voltage wiring. Thats the best I could come up with given the layout. The upper hall area (between kitchen and laundry in the second floor) is just a bridge between bedrooms and is also open to the front foyer. You guys are welcome to comment, I can still change the wiring locations as the framing hasnt gone up yet. But I dont see any other way to achieve a 5.1/7.1 layout in this room.
    Here are the details:
    First and foremost, this area will be our regular TV viewing/movie watching/entertaining area. So, it will be used a lot as a general purpose media room rather than purpose built home theater. More serious home theater is going to be in the basement in about 3 years down the road. So, trying to balance acceptable sound without breaking the bank and keeping WAF in mind.

1. The yellow speaker looking symbol is are the prewires for the speakers and subwoofer.
    2. There is no other place for the TV but above the fireplace.
    3. All the prewires will be at 9'6". The two niches are 9' tall and so are the windows. So, yah the speakers are going to sit pretty high.
    4. Had to wire for center speaker at 9'6" as well because I dont want it directly on top of mantle (whether in wall or otherwise). That also leaves me an option for a bigger TV for later upgrades, without raising the TV even higher. Dont want the TV to go higher than it already will be.
    5. I am aware of that its not the best acoustic, but I will try and make best of the layout. There are windows on top of the windows in the great room and with the room open to every possible area of the house (except for the bedrooms and garage). So, I will be using my trusty old adcom to power at least the 3 LCR speakers.
    6. AV headend is in the niche that is towards the rear of the house. I have a couple of cat6+RG6 coming from basement in that niche for NAS/internet/security camera. Trying to find a good looking media stand to put the receiver, amp and other components that goes with our contemporary design idea. I have a 2" conduit running from that niche to above the fireplace for HDMI cables and separate cat6 + cable terminated above the fireplace from the basement.

llt1ppn6c5uw.png

Now that I have all the wiring out of the way. While waiting, I am planning on the speakers. Thanks to the above comments, I am inclined heavily towards the polk vanishing series. I even bought a pair of rc65i for the rear surrounds. :smile:

My first plan is to use my current setup and incrementally change the speakers to vanishing series(Polk Audio 255C-RT, Pair of Polk Audio 265-RT, pair of Polk Audio 65RT). That would make the least dent in my budget.

RTi4s as front left and right mounted on these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X9O8SI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1YX7EB80E4EIU

CSi5 mounted on this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00155PSXS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Wall mount FXiA4s as side surrounts.

In wall mount RC65i for rear surrounds.

Use my current subwoofer.

Use RTi8s as a two channel in office or store them.

The problem with this plan is, it will be unsightly. The mounts for FCR will give me some flexibility in pointing the speakers to the MLP.

Second plan
    Use RTi4s as Front left and Right and purchase Polk Audio 255C-RT as an inwall center. And proceed with others as my first plan.

The problem with this plan is, I dont know how the studs will be placed above the fireplace and if I will even have space for Polk Audio 255C-RT to center it above the TV.

Third plan
    Get 5 more RC65i and just have same speakers all around and put the RTi setup somewhere else/sell/store/ keep it for basement theater. This is the cheapest route, but not sure if I will be satisfied with the sound.

To be honest, I am not even sure how good/bad it is going to sound with the speakers at 9 feet plus whether it is in wall or the wall mounted RTi. Speakers, lightning, low voltage equiptments and window treatments are something I want to complete as soon as we close and before we move in. So, trying to plan ahead.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    dude,

Do yourself a favor. find out when they will be doing the wire. Go and check that they are not putting junk in. They might tell you they are using good wire but then you go install the speakers and find CCA speaker wire in your walls. Then it's too late.

Also show up when the drywall is being put up in the room. Let one of the guys know you are going to be putting in speakers. If they guy seems cool ask for his number for putting in the speakers. Some of these guys will do it for a few bucks on a weekend. My in-laws took this advice and all their inceiling speakers are nice and even. They just now wish they would have checked the wire, it's all CCA junk.

I would go with the RTi4, bookies are better than most inwall/ceiling speakers
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • trj
    @mrloren
    Yes, they do have a pre drywall inspection day for us to go and check the locations of the drops and outlets. I have confirmed with the low voltage company, they are doing full copper wire(I have it in writing), though only 16ga, hence looking at the speakers which are efficient. They wont install higher gauge wire even if I pay for it or I bring my own wire. Weird, I know but then I dont own the house till I close on it. So, technically its not my property yet. Nevertheless, I am going to check everything. I am visiting the site regularly and I hope I catch the guy who does the low voltage wiring, give him the wire I have (12ga Belden copper) and hope he installs it.

For now, RTi4, FXiA4s and CSi5 is the plan but they will all be temporary. I know because once wife starts decorating, those black spots on the wall are not going to float her boat. I have full freedom in garage, basement and other rooms but living room, kitchen and master bath, she has the authority. :smile: I guess I am trying to find in walls that are efficient, sound detailed and even bright like RTis (I like them for movies). It is a two story room which is open to every possible corner with hardwood floors throughout the first floor and the hall in the second floor. So, wherever the sound from these speakers travel, its going to be hardwood floors(except staircase which is carpet). It will be an echo chamber for sure so, I am planning on getting different rugs and getting wall cloth wall arts to absorb the sound waves. If I know my wife, most probably there will be a wall art over the in wall speakers as well. So, its going to be acoustically transparent wall art. Who knows where I will find something like that. :smile:

I know I will not get the full sound as I get in my apartment(much smaller) with RTi8s at 9 feet doing front left and right duty. I will be happy with an acceptable sound but I dont want something that will sound like ****.
  • mrloren
    I hear you on all of that.

We had our house pre-wired for in-ceiling speakers. I had TC80i as my front mains for a few years with a CS30 center speaker. Was not bad on movies but music was not that great. I then started my journey up the chain to where I am now.

As for the RTi4's in the big room. I manage a 10,000sgf warehouse. I have a pair of RTi4's about 15' up the wall and they actually sound pretty decent. The cube farm doesn't complain till I get my old Sont 2100ES up to about -20db.

So when the guy doing the wire is there bring a case of decent beer with you. They will most likely be a sub contractor so he is charging the builder anyway if he uses your cable or not. He will most likely use your cable. He will get paid the same and bank the $100 he spent on the cable he was going to install.

Cheers

Loren
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • trj
    @mrloren
    Thanks for your encouragement. If I recall correctly, you built the media rack in your picture, didnt you?
    I might have to build something like that for the niches to house the electronics.
  • trj
    Oh, I went to see a house that is being to the same design. Attaching the picture of the living room for reference.
    k1kbpl4optxr.jpg
  • mrloren
    trj wrote: »
    @mrloren
    Thanks for your encouragement. If I recall correctly, you built the media rack in your picture, didnt you?
    I might have to build something like that for the niches to house the electronics.

Nice room, You're right about it being hard for a decent HT setup.

Yes I did build my TV stand. Not hard just takes time. Those niches look like a nice challenge to build. Draw it up and add space for wire.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Looks like they will be doing this for HT

fgf2qr9aihz9.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    We have a room like that as well and opted to put our HT upstairs instead. The high ceilings and open areas with large flat walls generate a lot of echoes. It also makes it hard to do anything else downstairs because the sound takes over the entire first floor. Instead, we're making a large, 10-12 seat dining room table to put in that room. It seems more fitting as it will be nice to dine by the fireplace and is close to the kitchen so running plates is easy to do.
  • trj
    @mrloren
    Thats not our house, but its being built with the same floor plan. It is going to look the same but with different wall color and fireplace stone. I am planning on building some low height open front cabinets for both niches. The AV headend is going to be in the niche thats closer to the window. The cabinet on the other side, may be for some media. I cant stand unsymmetrical (OCD) so I will have to build exact same cabinet in both niches :smile:

@txcoastal1
    I thought the same too but after looking closely in person(couldn't get framed in the panorama picture), their speaker wiring plan seemed very weird. The plate on the left wall you marked, is actually a center speaker. They have put 3 speakers on that left wall and two on the wall with fireplace for most probably rear speakers and the side speakers above windows which are very close to the front speakers (if they are indeed front speakers on the left wall). They even pulled all the speaker wires to the basement mechanical room. No idea why. Most probably they will have a TV straight opposite to fireplace or projector screen on that wall and run it all from the mechanical room in the basement. Well, at least I got an idea of what not to do from their layout.
    My setup is reverse of that, front 3 on fireplace wall, sides above window, rears on that left wall as in the picture.

@Airplay355
    Cant do upstairs at all. Upstairs, I have 3 bedrooms and no extra space. The living room is open all they way to the roof and foyer is the same. Living room is not exactly the home theater, its just a place to lounge, entertain. The actual home theater will be in the basement (but its a couple of years down the line).
  • mrloren
    Not hard to build a cabinet, just takes time and the right tools. I would do a beta cabinet first out of cheap wood to make sure everything fits how you want it. You could always reuse the beta in the garage.
  • trj
    mrloren wrote: »
    Not hard to build a cabinet, just takes time and the right tools. I would do a beta cabinet first out of cheap wood to make sure everything fits how you want it. You could always reuse the beta in the garage.

Yup, will give it a try. No experience in carpentry so, it will be a new experience for sure. :smile: Thanks for the encouragement
  • trj
    edited November 2017
    Just an update. House build is coming along great. We are almost at the stage where I posted the picture above (of someone else's house being built on the same design).
    All the wiring for 7.1 is run, Dyrwall is up (they covered up left side channel wiring above the windows, not a big deal).

I purchased a pair of in wall RC65i for the rear channels. These are inner walls of the house and do not have any insulation. That wall is our master bedroom wall on the second floor.

Cant do the RC65i or in walls on the side channels because one speaker wire (right side channel) had to come out of a support beam. The left side channel wall has insulation being the exterior wall and I cant really make a hole in the beam to put the speakers. So this one has to be a surface mount/wall mount. So, for now, I am thinking OWM5s for more discrete look. Thoughts?

For the front left and right channels, the soffit above the niche has just enough clearance to fit the rc65i standing up or may not even fit with the twist lock things. Also the soffits are full of insulation, plus I have a pre-wire for a light about 6 inches behind the speaker wire in the niche. I was thinking to get a couple of rc65i's or even rc85i's and install them side ways because of space constraints. Thoughts?

For center, I am thinking 255c-RT as I have enough width between the studs to mount it centered. I had to fight with the builder to get me enough space. They conveniently wanted to leave a studs in the middle above the fireplace. Went to project manager and said, if I am buying a 7.1 pre wiring from you, I want the center speaker to be in the center not a stud, else you can remove the ultra expensive 7.1 pre-wire from my list. For some reason, I am not able to upload the picture. I have an exact picture I mocked up as speaker size and sent to him to make them move the stud.

The above are my in wall/on wall choices. Still debating on mounting the RTi4s and CSi5 on wall for front 3 and FXiA4's on the sides. I am concerned about CSi5 being really out of place above the TV and protruding about a feet from the wall right in the center of the two story wall. Haha.

I dont want to be spending too much in this room on speakers because in 2 years, I will start a theater build in the basement, dont know if I will reuse the RTis I have but they are definitely the candidates. Also need to keep wife happy because I spent a lot in network and electrical pre wires :smile: I promised her I wont question her design choices if she doesnt question my wiring choices. So, keeping the speakers work with her design choices takes the highest priority. Dont know if she will be thrilled with the huge CSi5 above the TV.

I am open to any other brand suggestion as well. But want to keep the price point in check.