Neew RD0198-1 tweeters direct from Polk-no markings or identifiers on tweeter ro box-how to verify?

Hello, I just ordered two RD0198-1 tweeters direct from Polk on Monday, they arrived Friday 6-16-2017.

How do I identify the Tweeters? There are absolutely no model markings on the tweeters, or the boxes that they were shipped in.
Thanks!

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    edited June 2017
    The 198's have one skinny blade and one wide blade..

The 194's have the same size blade on both ends.
    Post edited by Toolfan66 on
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    This^^^^^^
    And the + plus is marked in red
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • BuddTX
    BuddTX Posts: 11
    Thank you David and ToolFan66!

One of those posts were broken on my order, so I need to get a replacement from Polk.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited June 2017
    They don't really need a label or markings because it's self explanatory when you go to connect the terminals. The RD0194 needs the red mark because the terminals are the same size.

I want to add that the packaging for the tweeters is first class. I've ordered 20 some and never had an issue. Therefore, I'd have to say your broken terminal tab is a fluke.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I don't about the 198s but when I got my 194s there was no red dot as in yester years and I was told they are inscribed in that connector brown paper w/ the rivit holes in them. True they were stamped there but you needed an electron microscope to see them.This happens to be a #6502 w/ no red dot and you probably can't make out because of the flash the + sign on the leftb1gklegzf7py.jpg
    7z0kqsxejhv9.jpg
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • F1nut
    Why is there a piece of the gasket material missing from your driver?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    edited June 2017
    You can always do the TP/AAA test.
    2fwv6q7byhbq.jpg
    It works like a Charm-in.
  • ZVH
    ZVH Posts: 4
    I just replaced a pair of 198's, the smaller terminal is positive on mine. One tweeter had red paint on the small terminal, the other did not. Odd. Tissue test confirmed, thank you @kevinko
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    They only go on one way so on the RD-0198 it is very hard to foul up and hook them up out of phase. The RD-0194 is a different story.
  • Gary2913
    Gary2913 Posts: 8
    Hello everyone, Polk has a really nice forum here...

I purchased 2 RD0198-1's directly from Polk recently to replace the 30 year old (OMG) SL2500's in my Polk Monitor 10 Series 2 speakers purchased back in 1992, not able to afford the 10B's I had desired almost a decade before that. 3 years ago, I finally had enough with the sound and decided to redo the crossovers, which ended up being a very favorable endeavor at the time in 2019.. When I started having more time to critically listen to stereo the last few years, and having experienced other loudspeaker systems, I started to realize that the highs were more harsh than they should have been, and that the response over frequency did not seem so balanced. It was then that I started to realize that maybe it was time to replace the SL2500's, the thought being driven home by a plethora of data I analyzed stemming from "the tale of 5 tweeters" threads. The distortion data was the clincher. I must say that I didn't expect such a transformation of the sound quality. It's like I just bought a fantastic new set of speakers for about the cost of a couple dozen gallons of gasoline! Mathew Polk and his team were truly the masters of passive radiator design. My only regret is that I didn't do the upgrades sooner!!

I'm left wondering how the new XT70's would 'stack' up against the M10s2 in their updated condition (no pun intended lol). My guess is that I made the right choice, but the XT70's may be very competitive for all I know. Two 8" PR's instead of one 10" and I'm thinking some more internal air volume in the cabinet. They seem light in weight though.
  • F1nut
    What's an XT70?

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    F1nut wrote: »
    What's an XT70?

Polks Newest version of the Monitor 70's

https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/product/floor-standing-towers/monitor-xt70

jnfrl60olild.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    Well...looky at that wave guide.

President of Club Polk

• Gary2913
    F1nut .. ?Joking or.. Are you thinking these newer tweeters may allow better coupling of the tweeter diaphragm to the surrounding air to reduce the impact of baffle edge diffraction, potentially enhancing dispersion in the upper registers and optimally mitigating distortion ? (Just curious)

Waveguide structures seem to be trendy these days in the kHz region.

Love the political correctness definition, btw. :-).
  • F1nut
    Just commenting.

I like the sound characteristics of modified vintage Polk speakers. No idea about the sound of the XT70's.

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    Gary2913 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, Polk has a really nice forum here...

I purchased 2 RD0198-1's directly from Polk recently to replace the 30 year old (OMG) SL2500's in my Polk Monitor 10 Series 2 speakers purchased back in 1992, not able to afford the 10B's I had desired almost a decade before that. 3 years ago, I finally had enough with the sound and decided to redo the crossovers, which ended up being a very favorable endeavor at the time in 2019.. When I started having more time to critically listen to stereo the last few years, and having experienced other loudspeaker systems, I started to realize that the highs were more harsh than they should have been, and that the response over frequency did not seem so balanced. It was then that I started to realize that maybe it was time to replace the SL2500's, the thought being driven home by a plethora of data I analyzed stemming from "the tale of 5 tweeters" threads. The distortion data was the clincher. I must say that I didn't expect such a transformation of the sound quality. It's like I just bought a fantastic new set of speakers for about the cost of a couple dozen gallons of gasoline! Mathew Polk and his team were truly the masters of passive radiator design. My only regret is that I didn't do the upgrades sooner!!

I'm left wondering how the new XT70's would 'stack' up against the M10s2 in their updated condition (no pun intended lol). My guess is that I made the right choice, but the XT70's may be very competitive for all I know. Two 8" PR's instead of one 10" and I'm thinking some more internal air volume in the cabinet. They seem light in weight though.

If I had to guess without having heard them, I'd say probably better in the imaging department and maybe lower coloration but the bass digs much deeper on your M10s2. They say "Total Frequency Response" 35Hz - 40,000 Hz. Total has historically meant -9dB for Polks.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gary2913
    I'm sure it would be an interesting experience for me to A/B them, but I'm equally certain that I would most likely end up preferring what I have after a more or less exhaustive investigation, especially if low end response is compromised in comparison. Having been a bass player, I'm not a fan of a poorly defined or weak low end response. Now if we could only go back and fix the mixes of so many recordings, we'd have that much more enjoyable music, haha. The new XT70 was more of a curiosity thing with me, and I do on occasion enjoy hearing the audio opinions and technical facts that others take the time to share, so I occasionally like to return the favor. Cheers!