Audiosource amps

cletusmcgee
cletusmcgee Posts: 25
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I'm looking for an inexpensive amp to drive my RT55's. It seems that everyone at audioreview.com is gushing over the audiosource amp two. at $250 street it seems good price wise- but at that level caveat emptor comes to mind. has anyone here used any audiosource products or heard any professional reviews of them? thanx.
Post edited by cletusmcgee on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited April 2002
    the only audiosource product i have ever used was a eq.

scott:cool:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    They aren't bad, but you can do better. I've been eyeing and Audiosource amp 1 at a local pawn shop for $60....

If you can spend $250, and want new...check out the AMC 2100 (you can search in yahoo shopping for pics and prices...) Imo, better build, better quality.

$250 can buy alot used, in the way of some Rotels, Carvers, and Nad to name a few.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    there are a number of used audio websites out there as well as ebay that have good deals on used gear......250 will buy some good used gear if you look around.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cletusmcgee
    edited April 2002
    ok, then. do any of you know of any amps in this price range with an auto turn on/off feature? none of the adcoms have this feature, and it's very important to me. thanks
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2002
    this is not an endorsement. i know nothing about the quality of the product. fyi, Onkyo makes a 2-ch amp, the M282 (?) w/auto on-off, rated at 100 X 2 at 8 ohms & 125 (?) X 2 at 6 ohms. integra, the "upscale" onkyo line, offers their own version, perhaps the same thing w/a different label. i think the onkyo costs about 300 new.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited April 2002
    Don't let the Audiosource name fool you. They make good amps for the money. I have owned the Amp 3 and 2 Amp1's. The amp3 is definitley a nice amp. Currently, I have an amp3 for my center, Adcom 555's for my sides and rears and 2 Carver TFM15's for the fronts. I think the Audiosource has a better low and and crisper highs than the Adcom and is very similar to the Carver's. IMHO all the lower end amps will sound about the same. They will all sound better than most receiver amps. The amp1 or amp2 is not quite on the same level as tha amp3, but it can be bridged to 200 watts. Do not be afraid to buy the Audiosource, it will serve you well.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    I heard a pair of AudioSource amps (model forgotten) with a pair of Bohlender Graebener DIYs (ribbon high/mid with Dayton subs) in the Parts Express room. No complaints at all, but I haven't heard the B.G.s on anything else to compare. But if they're going to showcase a $1200 or so speaker with them, it says something.

Personally, I like AudioSource. I consider them to be a big-time "sleeper" in the audio world. You might be able to get better new for more money, of better used for the same (risky), but when it comes down to it, I like your choice.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • cletusmcgee
    edited April 2002
    thanks guys, looking on ebay it's pretty hard to find audiosource amps used, so it seems that people like to hang on to them. I'm currently using a new harman kardon reciever to power them, but I hope that the audiosource will be a step up instead of staying the same (my HK reciever sounds damn fine as it is). hopefully I can play with the cabling and tame those damn tri-lam tweeters though-those things go off like car alarms at 8khz!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    I can go back by that pawn shop, and see if that amp one is still there for $60 or so....just let me know. Troy is coming in next weekend, and we will be making the rounds.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cletusmcgee
    edited April 2002
    thanks but no thanks, the amp one duzzn't have the auto turn on which is crucial to me, and I've heard the ones have somewhat spotty reliability depending on their generation. thanks anyway
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    its a great sleeper amp , I had the #1 and 2 for my mains ( ran a sub) .
    they never failed , got many bids and a good price much later .
    I wish I had it to do a a/b test with my current amps