Modern Washer/Dryers

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    We went with a Samsung top loader to avoid the funky mold problems of front loaders.

In exchange I got a washer that can literally explode.... Its one of the recal ones...

That said, we like it a lot, I just wish it was either a bit shorter, or my wife was a bit taller.

She got mad when I suggested at the store she double check she could actually unload it...... then we got it and lo and behold.... she cant.....

Next time around we will go with something with less whistles but it will still be a top loader for sure.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    One thing to watch out for with newer washing machines is their greater tendency to cause water hammering in some plumbing systems. The valves open and close faster in some machines than others, especially front loaders. That can be resolved with inexpensive hammer arrestor devices. A top loader just lets water pour into the tub until it's filled without multiple rapid opening and closing valves during a wash cycle.

Front loaders use less water than top loaders, tend to be gentler on clothes because there is no agitator, and spin out more water. They are more efficient. That's why front loaders are used in Europe, where utilities are very expensive, and it would be very rare to find a top loading washing machine there. I think those same design benefits of high speed and efficiency make them less reliable. They also have to be cleaned regularly or stinking mold builds up in the door seals.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Is it just me, or is there a correlation between reliability and when all these appliances started with their "energy efficient" B.S. ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    tonyb wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is there a correlation between reliability and when all these appliances started with their "energy efficient" B.S. ?

if it don't work it is very "energy" efficient :p
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

HA....NOT so efficient on the old wallet though. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Willow wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Our 20 yr. old Maytag dryer finally died about a year ago. I bought a Samsung to replace it. It's not nearly the dryer the Maytag was. Lots of settings but it doesn't dry as well as the Maytag if you put more than half a load in it.

Only thing I like better, is the wrinkle release, or whatever they call it, where it will keep tumbling the clothes for an hour or so after they are dry.

The possible reason your washer is not getting enough water out during spin cycles. That's what we were told many years ago. We had whirlpool duet at our old house worked well. New house we have Samsung, the clothes come out almost dry from the washer.

It's certainly possible, our washer is a 15 yr. old Sears, but even the instruction manual suggests that you only load the dryer halfway. I didn't see that before I bought it, of course.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2017
    I have a Maytag Epic washer, dryer (frontloader) that are 11 years old, no issues whatsoever. Whirlpool purchased Maytag and made them their premium line. Not sure about now but this set was made in Germany, and seems to be of good quality.

My burka comes out clean and wrinkle free.

I concur on the Speed Queen. If I were younger I would set my sites on this as my next purchase. I don't need anything that I know will outlive me by years and years....lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited June 2017
    We went with a Samsung top loader to avoid the funky mold problems of front loaders.

The new ones don't seem to have that problem. It's kind of stereotype of the past I think with front loaders. When I buy a new washer it will be a front loader because they clean a little better than top loaders.

The Speed Queen front loader looks very nice. I'm going to go check them out this weekend.

AFNE9BSP113TW01_Gallery2.jpg
    Post edited by Gatecrasher on
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Ask a ton of questions and let us know what they have to say compared to the quality parts in their top loaders
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Emlyn
    The new ones don't seem to have that problem. It's kind of stereotype of the past I think with front loaders. When I buy a new washer it will be a front loader because they clean a little better than top loaders.

What's really funny to me is I grew up with front load washing machines in Europe. They've used smallish versions of them there for decades without the problems the huge American models have. A washing machine was an expensive piece of engineering there. Lousy parts quality and build seem to me to be the main problems now. They are designed to break, which is why the Speed Queen models seem to be popular again.

One of the reasons front load machines were originally designed to spin more water out is because people where front load machines are used tended not to use heated clothes dryers because electricity was expensive and air drying is free. I remember we also had a very high speed spin dryer to get even more water out of clothes during the winter, but they would still be hung up to dry outside. A lot of people in those parts of the world use heated clothes dryers now though.

• Gatecrasher
    There's a laundromat a few blocks away that I go to sometimes that has all Speed Queen washers and dryers in it. They are nice. I took one of my car covers there a couple weeks ago to wash in one of the larger washers they have.

I bought one of these for my home last year. A professional model. I always wanted one. I got it from a laundry supply company.

100E58-2.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    any front loader should be left open after the laundry is done. This in itself will negate any mold or odor problems. Users tend to keep them shut up and the moisture has no where to go. Top loaders do not seal like front loader so this problem is mostly nonexistent with them. Just keep the door open for a few hours after the laundry until the drum can dry out.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    I regret not investing in the failed transmission of a 22 year old Maytag washer. The new stuff isn't built for longevity.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    edited June 2017
    I hear you. My wife had a Whirlpool and a Maytag (don't remember which was which) several years before we got married. We used them for the next 20 years. They finally wore out and I replaced them with a Maytag washer and dryer. The washer lasted 2 or 3 years. I replaced it with a GE. It lasted one year and the parts would have been more than I paid for the washer. Thus the Speed Queen.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    The wife settled on a Kenmore top load washer. Nothing but trouble. It was noisy and would walk across the concrete floor until the water lines stopped it. They put rubber feet on it. They replaced the control board. They blamed the wife for loading it wrong. Finally after 6 months it grenaded itself.

We finally got a higher level tech. He said the factory failed to tighten the nut that held the mechanics all together. He replaced everything under the agitator, over a thousand dollars in parts. It worked fine after that.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited June 2017
    I decided to stop by the Speed Queen dealer that's a few miles from my house over lunch. As with any buying decision there are pros and cons of each option. The first unit he showed me was the Speed Queen and he spoke highly of them. Here was the salesman's take on the options.

Speed Queen Pros
    - Best Quality Parts
    - Longest warranty
    - Longest expected life: 25 years

Speed Queen Cons
    - Most expensive that I looked at (but not by much)
    - Smallest capacity that I looked at (3.4 or 3.5 CUFT)

Samsung Top Loader Pros
    - Cheapest that I looked at
    - Top swinging door has some benefits as it relates to the position in the room it is going
    - Highest Capacity
    - No mold concerns with door

Samsung Top Loader Cons
    - Cleaning quality not as good as front loader or Speed Queen with agitator
    - Expected life: 8-10 years

Samsung Front Loader Pros
    - Most energy and water efficient
    - Most options for wash cycles (not sure how big of a factor this is)
    - Highest quality clean (according to the sales rep)
    - High capacity (compared to Speed Queen)

Samsung Front Loader Cons
    - Costly repairs if needed
    - Almost as much $ as Speed Queen
    - Special handling required to ensure no mold develops inside drum (not a big deal, just need to keep the door open when not in use)

The sales rep really didn't try to push in favor of one model over the other. He said the service techs all own Speed Queens and the sales reps all own front loaders with bells and whistles. If the Speed Queen had a higher capacity then I think it would be the clear cut favorite. It still might be the favorite, but I do like the idea of the larger capacity front loaders. Next step is to get my wife in there and hit a couple more stores.

• Emlyn
    The capacity is a difficult sell and a limiter on the Speed Queens. I looked recently because the front loader Maytag Neptune the previous owners of my house left isn't all that good. A somewhat expensive LG top loader will do 5.2 or 5.7 cubic foot loads. And those are very well reviewed and get rebated often.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127

HA....NOT so efficient on the old wallet though. ;)

Not necessarily energy efficiency but digital controls and operations. They are susceptible to surges and power issues. best to have your whole house protected including appliances.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    any front loader should be left open after the laundry is done. This in itself will negate any mold or odor problems. Users tend to keep them shut up and the moisture has no where to go. Top loaders do not seal like front loader so this problem is mostly nonexistent with them. Just keep the door open for a few hours after the laundry until the drum can dry out.

Most newer front loaders have a drain and a 2 stage front door closure to eliminate the mold issue. top loaders will get moldy too if you close the lid while damp.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Speed Queen here also, only had it about 5-6 years, but it is worth it.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    Most newer front loaders have a drain and a 2 stage front door closure to eliminate the mold issue. top loaders will get moldy too if you close the lid while damp.

Yeah I was reading on the Speed Queen website that their front loaders have a drain system that helps prevent any mold issues. For what it's worth, there's a video on YouTube though where a top-loader Speed Queen has a mold issue.

It's pretty-much a non-issue for me. I've had front loaders in the past and never had a mold issue. I never had one with a top loader either. At least none that I noticed.

I do think that the front loaders are easier on clothes and clean better though, and they use less water. Those are all positives for me.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I justdrop mine off at the cleaners. It's like magic. I leave them there and in a few hours...Viola!....smellin good and freshly wrapped.
    The clerk behind the counter looked like she had a bad day when I picked them up, though.
    Appearance of being dragged through 40 miles of Hades.....loss of muscle control tics....muttering something about "...Biggest skidmarks ever...couldn't breathe......burns my skin" I think she may have been in or witnessed a dreadful car accident before my return to the store.
    I also noticed two of the washing machines had been blocked off with caution tape and two men in Tyvek suits looked to be repairing or at least diagnosing the alleged problem. Very professional techs with some sort of monitoring diagnostic machinery at hand.
    As I was observing the techs taking a sample of the breakdown culprit from the machinery, the clerk startled me by yelling "Swampa$$" while pointing at me..... Aha! The poor lass suffers from Tourettes. Tragic!
    I gathered myself and my freshly laundered threads. Bade the clearly rattled clerk and the very dilligent repairmen good day and went about my other tasks.
    Also somewhat alarming was the CDC and HazMat vans pulling into the parking lot as I was heading out.
    Making a mental note not to eat or drink at the biker bar/pizzaria next door to the wonderful dry cleaners. Seems they have a sanitary issue.....gross.
  • Mikey081057
    My Grandfathers name was Russell and so is my borther....

:smiley: We used to sing a song as kids that goes like this:

OOOOOOHHH The dirty dirty drawers that Russell wore

I've never seen such dirty drawers before

he hung them on the line and the sun refused to shine...

Ohhhhh the dirty dirty drawers that Russell wore.....

2nd verse...

OOOOOOHHH The dirty dirty drawers that Russell wore

I've never seen such dirty drawers before

He threw them in the cellar and the rats began to bellar

Oh the dirty dirty drawers that Russell Wore :D:D:D

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Hot dog! Derailed another one!

I still got it. B)
  • pitdogg2
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hot dog! Derailed another one!

I still got it. B)

There is not an antibiotic strong enough to fix it either.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Did someone mention HOTDOG

pj88yufd98ac.gif
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    adb3da wrote: »
    I decided to stop by the Speed Queen dealer that's a few miles from my house over lunch. As with any buying decision there are pros and cons of each option. The first unit he showed me was the Speed Queen and he spoke highly of them. Here was the salesman's take on the options.

Speed Queen Pros
    - Best Quality Parts
    - Longest warranty
    - Longest expected life: 25 years

Speed Queen Cons
    - Most expensive that I looked at (but not by much)
    - Smallest capacity that I looked at (3.4 or 3.5 CUFT)

Samsung Top Loader Pros
    - Cheapest that I looked at
    - Top swinging door has some benefits as it relates to the position in the room it is going
    - Highest Capacity
    - No mold concerns with door

Samsung Top Loader Cons
    - Cleaning quality not as good as front loader or Speed Queen with agitator

Samsung Front Loader Pros
    - Most energy and water efficient
    - Most options for wash cycles (not sure how big of a factor this is)
    - Highest quality clean (according to the sales rep)
    - High capacity (compared to Speed Queen)

Samsung Front Loader Cons
    - Costly repairs if needed
    - Almost as much $ as Speed Queen
    - Special handling required to ensure no mold develops inside drum (not a big deal, just need to keep the door open when not in use)

The sales rep really didn't try to push in favor of one model over the other. He said the service techs all own Speed Queens and the sales reps all own front loaders with bells and whistles. If the Speed Queen had a higher capacity then I think it would be the clear cut favorite. It still might be the favorite, but I do like the idea of the larger capacity front loaders. Next step is to get my wife in there and hit a couple more stores.

Doing two loads of clothes instead of one on occasion is worth 3 times the reliability but I'm big on putting reliability at the top of the list for any purchase. Unexpected and sometimes expensive repairs are not worth doing an extra load of laundry, having a fridge that orders food by itself, or having a "cool" car.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    I purchased an LG washer and dryer combo recently and have been very pleased. Quiet, large capacity, and quicker than my old machines. The washer is a top loader and can accommodate my goalie chest protector or pants (which is lovely.)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    @adb3da I was in the same boat as you a month ago and the fact you have 3 kids may sway your decision. We have 2 kids so I can imagine what another would do to our laundry chores.

Brief history, we went from a top loader to a LG front loader 10 years ago, was nice having a front load washer next to the matching dryer....no bending down into a drum to fish out the clothes, also uses less water and since we're on a well that influenced our decision to go with the front loader.

During the course of ownership of the front loader, we fell victim to the funky odor of the unit. LG had many complaints about this, I'm sure other manufacturers did also, but one thing we noticed that during the tub clean cycle, it didn't really get the water level high enough to be effective, despite all the thrashing and splashing around.

The plus is, the front loader is very effective at getting clothes clean and is pretty much the undisputed champ...you have to take this into consideration.

Now our LG finally bit the bullet and the main bearing went bad, it would start knocking around with anymore than a handful of clothes in. The wifey said no more to the front loaders and had her mind set on the top loader.

What we have found is while the new top loaders are pretty good, the non-agitator versions just don't perform to most peoples standards. I'm not the expert in this department but from what I have researched if you want the machine to be effective, it's hard to get away from the agitator.

So with a lot of research, the consensus came down to the Speed Queen. My local dealer has just about everything, SQ, Maytag commercial, Whirlpool, GE, Electrolux, you name it as far as washers go, I've known him for about 12 years and he is very honest.

I had my sights set on the Speed Queen, the wifey wanted a good top loader, and he said if we want a top load washer then the Speed Queen is the only one to get. He said they are built with all the best drivetrain components and is designed to go 25 years. The Speed Queen design uses a geared agitator drive and will rotate the agitator 210 degrees if I'm not mistaken, this is a huge advantage over the regular agitator washers.

I was literally ready to tell him to ring it up but the trusted look on her face told otherwise. Not that it's not worthy of it's pricetag, but for the $$, it's capacity was just average or below average.....about 3.3 cu.ft., our LG was about 3.8 and was pushing the limit with 2 kids.

It's not that hard to run another wash cycle, but losing the capacity seemed like a big step backwards.

Also the spin speed of the SQ was about 700 RPM give or take, nothing to sneeze at but the front loaders will kill it.

So we were sitting there, I wanted the SQ, but she just had that gut feeling that this wasn't the one for the job. So I asked him about the front loaders again, and he said if you want to go back to the front loader, then without question, the 617 series Electrolux is the one, he said he has one and it's a phenomenal washer.

Sorry to get long-winded, but we ended up going with the Electrolux. He said try to limit or just not use fabric softener, that will be a major contributor to the funk and gunk in the front loaders, also using powdered soap is recommended.

The Electolux boasts a 4.4 cu.ft drum, and has a 15 min quick wash which is very effective. So far we have had this for about a month and we love it. The machine will thoroughly mix the soap with the water before introducing to the clothes, this is not a gimmick.

Spin speed is 1300 RPM and the clothes are just slightly damp when done, cuts drying time down tremendously.

You just cant beat the front loader design for cleaning clothes...I would highly recommend looking into this model.

With this unit, we only use 1- 1 1/2 tablespoons of powder, 2 tablespoons on a very full and dirty load.

Have to shove off to work, I'll try to answer more later.

But check out the 617 series Electrolux before you make your decision.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2017
    "What we have found is while the new top loaders are pretty good, the non-agitator versions just don't perform to most peoples standards. I'm not the expert in this department but from what I have researched if you want the machine to be effective, it's hard to get away from the agitator."

I went LG top loader with no agitator and have been extremely pleased with the quality of cleaning provided. I normally just wash clothes and sheets, but have been able to squeeze some of my larger hockey gear into this top loader and finally get the funk out.

Then again, I normally only run about 1-2 loads a week, so YMMV if you've got a family of 6 or whatever.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"