new system - vocals a bit subdued............. (ideas)

Hi, I was referred to this forum as a great place for learning / information. I just purchased a great system used. It is a Plinius Integrated, PrimaLuna tube CD player and a pair of Paradigm Signature S4 speakers. This equipment replaced an all Rega system.

There is a lot more information on my new system, and it sounds great..... but it seems like the vocals are a bit flat, or subdued...... I have good cables, etc., so just curious if there is something I should try to switch up. Any ideas?

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Do vocals sound subdued with just the CDP or through all inputs?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• jolson72
    jolson72 Posts: 46
    Mikeyb128, just tried a Diana Krall CD on two CD players: Primaluna tubed and a rega Planet.... The vocals just seem a little bit flat... Not quite as high and crisp as they should be.... Try different speaker cables?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Did you always have the Paradigms or did you have Rega speakers before?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jolson72
    Nightfall: Just got the Paradigm speakers. The new system has a lot more information... But the high vocals just seem a little flat...... And I was using an old beat up pair of KEF speakers, as they sounded better than the Rega speakers I had.
  • Nightfall
    edited June 2017
    Do you still have the any of the other speakers to compare? It might just be that you don't like the Paradigm sound would be my guess. Cables will make a difference, but not large enough to go from recessed midrange to forward midrange IMO more for final tweaking.

• jolson72
    Nightfall: will do a test in a bit. What is a good CD / artist to test vocals with?
  • Nightfall
    I'd imagine Diana Krall is already a good choice.

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    what are your cables? what are the tubes in the cd player?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • jolson72
    Marva1: CD player is a Primaluna Prologue 8 with the stock tubes. The Rega Planet I have sounds similar. Cables are Siltech SQ-110 Mk 2 interconnects and Siltech
    LS-88 speaker cables that came with the system.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,785
    edited June 2017
    What brand/type are the stock tubes?

The Rega CDP has a very laid back top end.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Steve Hoffman on tube rolling in a PrimeLuna preamp
    Lee, believe it or not, I went this route with my Primaluna preamp. I mucked around for weeks with NOS tubes.

Guess what? It sounded the best with the stock tubes that came with it. I asked Kevin Deal about that. He said (what I always say) that they voice the gear with the same tubes that they sell it with so it should sound the best that way...

Whether or not the same applies to their CD players I don't know.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Overall it just strange to me. Couple pairs of Paradigms I've heard, I would have never thought of them as laid back. I like the Rega CDP, and the Plinius. Just wondering if it's the synergy as a whole. Do you have any local friends with another integrated, or a system you can take your speakers to, to get another opinion.

https://www.paradigm.com/downloads/UAV_S4_C3_Servo_Review.pdf

The only significant aberration in these
    measurements is the relatively high tweeter
    output from both speakers. The curves
    suggest that they may sound forward in
    the upper registers. FM did note this in
    his listening tests. The relatively smooth HF
    response (apart from the overall elevated
    level) suggests that it might be corrected by
    simply padding down the tweeter by 2-3 dB,
    or using a judicious hand on a treble control,
    without obscuring the impressive sound that
    Fred reports.
    – Thomas J. Norton
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jolson72
    txcoastal1 : I will try that tomorrow. I have a Rega Mira integrated. I'll hook it up to the Paradigms and see if the sound quality, or highs, is that different.....

Also, from the review you posted: It seems that most people use the S4 speakers in a home theater environment. The speakers are every bit as good for use in a 2 channel setup, correct?
  • txcoastal1
    I'd rather use them in 2chnl than HT...IMHO

...don't be discouraged, sometimes no matter how good a speaker is, it may not be your cup-o-tea
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• jolson72
    TX, thanks for the response, again. It was a huge jump going from a Rega Mira, Rega Planet and Rega speakers to the Plinius, Primaluna and Paradigm speakers. It might take me a bit of time to get used to the difference. This is the first time I have had such an expensive, revealing system. So, I might just be hearing a lot more.....

Also, what are your thoughts on power cables? When I bought my system, it came with a quite expensive Siltech Ruby Hill powercord.... Seems like I should sell it, and put the money to use somewhere else.... There are a few Audioquest powercables I got as well, which I'll probably stick with. Fun to listen and try to figure it out, however.
  • txcoastal1
    I am a cable proponent, but I do not make recommendations unless you have the same gear as I. I have a tub of cables from different manufactures, some expensive some not so much. Have had to many surprises, and use the cables for final tweaks.

Been hanging with to many people playing with cables and found cables work in mine but not yours and vice-versa.

At this point I don't think cables are your issue. I think change is...but it sounds like you still have your original gear so swapping around is kinda the fun part till you get the system dialed in. Sounds like a good time if you are just hanging out for 4th of July weekend :)

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,654
    Sometimes such a dramatic change is difficult to get use to.

I would give it some quality time and then make a decision on whats next.

Makes me wonder if its just the complete change in house sound and what your previous system was capable of.

Listen to some music that you know well. Don't compare it to the old system but listen for what the new system brings. You may find that the laid back or flat vocals are more to your liking once it settles in.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Seems to me....the S4's and that brand are not laid back in the top end. I would suspect since he bought them used maybe something got damaged in transit. Maybe they've been worked on before and the previous owner changed some values in the crossover to tame them down to his liking.

I might take a look see at the crossovers and see if they are stock, been worked on, or if anything looks burnt up, out of whack. Put your ear to the tweeters at low volume and make sure they are working, they may not even be the originals.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jolson72
    Interesting.......... I guess I figured an expensive tube C.D. player would vastly sound better than my Rega Planet C.D. player. Did a sound test today. Same amp, same cables, same speakers..... The Rega C.D. player has more top end, and more information than the PrimaLuna C.D. player. My wife agreed that the Rega player sounds better. I guess in my system, the player that is 1/3 the price works better. Surprising. Next will be trying a Kimber PBJ, Rega Couple and Siltech SQ-110 interconnect comparison to see which I prefer there.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    jolson72 wrote: »
    Interesting.......... I guess I figured an expensive tube C.D. player would vastly sound better than my Rega Planet C.D. player. Did a sound test today. Same amp, same cables, same speakers..... The Rega C.D. player has more top end, and more information than the PrimaLuna C.D. player. My wife agreed that the Rega player sounds better. I guess in my system, the player that is 1/3 the price works better. Surprising. Next will be trying a Kimber PBJ, Rega Couple and Siltech SQ-110 interconnect comparison to see which I prefer there.

Although I have no experience with the PrimaLuna, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion so quickly. Some tube rolling could benefit that CD player, it could have tired tubes, or some cheapie Chinese or Russian tubes. I would experiment with tube rolling, be careful though, it's addicting and fun.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    Rega has been building quality CDP's much longer than Prima Luna has even existed.

There might be a higher signal output voltage than the PL also.

• jolson72
    Ugh. Don't know that I have any interest in tube rolling, etc. I just want to turn it on and enjoy it. And honestly, I like the top loading / non mechanical nature of the Rega better than a tray. Maybe I'll upgrade the Planet to a Jupiter and be happy? Also, it's amazing how close the Rega Mira sounds to the Plinius 9200. Says a lot about the quality of Rega equipment, I guess.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I've owned several pair of Paradigm speakers over the years (still have 2 pair I use outdoors) and a laid back mid to high end is not remotely how I would describe them. I might would roll a set up tubes (not sure what the Primaluna uses) that are geared more for pronounced uppers an see what that does for you.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I agree, try some different tubes and see what you like. We all would like plug n play but switching out your tube is as simple as pulling out and putting a new one in. I have had some tubes that seem completely veiled and others bright and detailed in the highs.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    We all would like plug n play

:D

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    jolson72 wrote: »
    Ugh. Don't know that I have any interest in tube rolling,

That's a shame, then I'd suggest not owning any tubed gear as rolling comes with the territory. The whole purpose of rolling tubes is to find the sound you like and synergy with your system. Sell it and stick with Solid State gear.

Since you like Rega, move up their ladder. Though I don't know why in todays age anyone would want to drop big bucks on a cdp. I might be more inclined to go digital, have all your music at your fingertips, and be able to stream it all over the house for the same price as one higher end cdp.

If a cdp floats your boat though, buy used and save some coin.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    tratliff wrote: »
    Sometimes such a dramatic change is difficult to get use to.

I would give it some quality time and then make a decision on whats next.

Makes me wonder if its just the complete change in house sound and what your previous system was capable of.

Listen to some music that you know well. Don't compare it to the old system but listen for what the new system brings. You may find that the laid back or flat vocals are more to your liking once it settles in.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Lots of variables, including gear, cables and other factors. Better gear reveals flaws in recordings that you may not have heard before. I noticed a bit more mid-range to familiar recordings when I upgraded to a Plinius integrated (9100). If this holds true for your model, you may sense a bit less high end "sparkle" because the balance between mid and high that you are accustomed to has changed. I'd give it some time then decide, as noted previously. I'm at the point where I almost can't listen to anything unless it's ruler flat, in contrast to 30+ years of listening to gear in what my sound engineer buddies call the EQ "smile".
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    I'd take the advice above from Tony and really check the speakers out for proper function. All the Paradigm I've heard are not laid back. Could be bad tweeter, bad xover. I really don't think cable swaps will get you where you want with this system.

Although...looking at this review and frequency response, maybe they are a bit laid back through the upper midrange...
    https://www.paradigm.com/downloads/UAV_S4_C3_Servo_Review.pdf
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...