could you explain the diference between these 2

Options
Right now I have 2 pre/amplifiers and do switch them out . Now this SONY A-E2000ESD is not a pre amp per se`.It is an overly complicated surround processor that has pre outs which I use to plug into my Adcom. When doing so all my inputs works as they should but to get any volume at all I have to turn the volume knob or let the motorized thing do it's job. There is no comparison between the Sony and the NAD 1020a which I like but because I'm getting lazy I like the remote capable Sony but not it's performance. The Nad when approaching 8/9 o'clock on the volume dial the wall start to shake. Cnn any of you explain this. As w/ most all pre amps speakers do not attach to either of them.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Line voltage is different between the 2, which means one is better at driving your amp to full power than the other. Which means one gets louder and more dynamic sooner on the volume dial. Which means one is better at lower volume listening than the other. Next question .... :):)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Yup, I believe Tony is correct. Most home theater stuff operates on lower output voltages so they might not be outputting enough voltage to make your amp reach its full power.

For example, Emotiva's stuff which is geared toward HT requires less voltage from lets say a home theater receiver to reach full power than an audiophile geared 2ch amp. This may have changed over the years, but I recall it not requiring not much voltage at all to reach spec'd power.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,195
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Another thing to consider is older preamps were originally designed for playback of Tape and Phono (vinyl) sources predominately. Due to variability in the source recording volume, they were given a greater range of gain. Playing an old softly recorded tape, you might crank it past to noon to get decent volume, but when you send a hot (by comparison) 2V RMS output from a CD or DVD player, it is super loud at 9pm like you said. Some of those old NAD had a two stage volume control. You could click a switch to lower the gain, thus gaining better fine control. I remember one of my NAD Integrate Amps had this feature and I used it most of the time.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    The only thing that I noticed and made the mistake on pushing in the loudness button on the NAD which I thought it would boost the volume and boy did it ever. I thought I toasted mt 2Bs and then once lowered w/ button off all was well. I did get a real good hand slapping from Jesse for using it at the wrong time or passage of music. Also the Sony once cranked to ok volumes it does tend to get hot even w/ a vented top and the NAD stays frosty cold w/ no vents at all. Thanks for the explanation. ...Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc