SDA Polyswitches Are Nasty

12346»

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Fire Marshall Bill
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    K_M wrote: »
    Sorry, 2 wrong assumptions.

The assumptions were reasonable since low powered, over driven amplification is the most common cause of clipping and since you didn't explain that you were moving a loose power amp connection around while the amp was on.

In either case, the cause of the clip was a transient energy spike.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,833
    It's been so long I don't even think about a poly switch these days, and forget how good it is to rid yourself of them, whether you call it a mod or taking out the trash, they are nasty!!!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

The assumptions were reasonable since low powered, over driven amplification is the most common cause of clipping and since you didn't explain that you were moving a loose power amp connection around while the amp was on.

Assumptions can be reasonable, but often wrong.
    Thanks for clarifying.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053

Thanks for clarifying.

My assumption came from the comments and your general thoughts about the robustness of your receivers in the "Polk Signature Series Official Discussion". I guess you should have done a better job of giving enough information so people didn't have to extrapolate based on your most recent posts.

More background info always helps to avoid miscommunication.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    heiney9 wrote: »

Thanks for clarifying.

My assumption came from the comments and your general thoughts about the robustness of your receivers in the "Polk Signature Series Official Discussion". I guess you should have done a better job of giving enough information so people didn't have to extrapolate based on your most recent posts.

More background info always helps to avoid miscommunication.

H9

I did mention we were only "Trying" it (Avr) and compared to our power amps and stuff though. Not a big deal....thanks!