Concert of a Lifetime

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
I might be taking a road trip with a friend next month to California to see Tool, Melvins, Primus, Clutch, and Fantomas. All at the same show. Front row too, seats 3 and 4. Son of a submariner, what a lineup! This will be two very expensive seats so once I find out for sure I'm probably going to put my tube preamp up for sale to help fund this. I don't want to but this one is not worth missing.

9sRnUWr.jpg
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    :o:o
    Catching Clutch and Primus on their southeastern leg in June. Just saw Clutch last week. The first show after four months off. Nothing but Pure Rock Fury......
  • Nightfall
    lightman1 wrote: »
    :o:o
    Catching Clutch and Primus on their southeastern leg in June. Just saw Clutch last week. The first show after four months off. Nothing but Pure Rock Fury......

Clutch is so good. I still can't believe this lineup, the only thing on it that isn't grade A music is the DJ set by Crystal Method. Seems like such a weird thing to throw in with a bunch of rock/prog rock bands.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
  • Nightfall
    edited May 2017
    Thieves.

• Nightfall
    dromunds wrote: »
    In the pit?

Yep, pit. Second row, first row sold between checking and buying. Can't believe I'm going to see my favorite band live up close.

• Nightfall
    The first few areas next to the stage have seats then the GA lawn behind them.

1200px-San_Manuel_Amphitheater.jpg

• dromunds
    Ha I doubt there'll be any open spaces on the grass or anywhere for that show, unlike for whoever was playing when the photo above was taken. Great score!
  • Nightfall
    Ha I doubt there'll be any open spaces on the grass or anywhere for that show, unlike for whoever was playing when the photo above was taken. Great score!

Everything but the GA lawn is sold out already.

• dromunds
    And that lawn won't take long either with that lineup!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Prob John Tesh or Yanni.

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Sorry, meant John Tesh AND Yanni.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I saw TOOL on June 8th at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL.

That was one heckofa show! The lights shows and backdrops were superb.

The music was great with a few unexpected tracks thrown in. Overall, the show seemed short in comparison their shows I've seen in the past but it was still excellent.

Primus did not open for them so I ended up skipping the opening band altogether.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited June 2017
    You know that show was not even advertised down here on any radio stations.(central Illinois) First time I'm even hearing about it. Man i would of went I've been wanting to see tool for some time now.
  • Nightfall
    edited June 2017
    Sitting in the parking lot right now.

@afterburnt is correct, I'd never live in California. Traffic is beyond ridiculous and like I told Ron, Denver has bad PARTS of town but California has ENTIRE bad towns. I slept in a hotel in San Bernardino last night and I've never felt so unsafe, the entire city is a slum with very little police presence.

Anyway, I'm going to go wait at the gate. Holy sheet is it hot in CA :D

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Behave and besafe....have fun
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dromunds
    They're having a heat wave. Have fun. We expect lengthy review.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited June 2017
    https://youtu.be/lXBbttFIVEY

Wow San Berdino hope you didn't get slobbering drunk at the Palamino, or bumped heads with Bobby as he has a head like a potato.

Enjoy your show sounds like a good time.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • dromunds
    We are still waiting for that detailed review. >:)
  • msg
    You're not dehydrated, are you Josh?
    Didn't get squeezed to a pulp tossed around like a rag doll in the pits?
    Not in lockup?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Should we start a GoFundMe to get Josh his equipment back? Or can Tony just send a couple of his guys over the the buyers' homes to ask for it back?
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    Alright Dbag :p

Calling you out, we want a review, some pics...something MF
    ze3qd4h0w01p.jpg
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Nightfall
    Staff there was crazy about not taking pictures or video during Tool. They'd shine their flashlights on you so that the staff walking around the crowd could spot you. I didn't want to take the chance of getting kicked out just for some pictures but I got some during the other bands when they didn't care.

Fantômas - Buzzo from Melvins, Mike Patton from Faith No More

aM4W7Sk.jpg

Clutch

ZRdlIMv.jpg

Melvins

C8NlH6Y.jpg

Crowd - Thousands of people

nM02an2.jpg

https://youtu.be/AwbPooQGZdE

Tool Poster - Numbered out of 750

5wy85xF.jpg

Hotel Honda Civic - Sleeping in car waiting for hotel check in

e9cOWBz.jpg

Hotel Slum - Don't sleep in San Bernardino

Hair on the sheets
    dacwrGD.jpg

Okay... I'll take off the sheets and sleep on the mattress protector
    0tqdXHp.jpg

Okay... I'll take off everything
    wXmcjMW.jpg

Okay... I'll flip the mattress over (thank God it had literally never been flipped and was like brand new on the other side)
    Gs6sodT.jpg

• Nightfall
    Some people that were more sly and not standing right in front of security got video of Tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRx0zOcKiPI&t

• txcoastal1
    So moral to the story
    Did you have a great time? :)

• Nightfall
    Probably the best concert I'll see before I die. The only thing missing was my best friend being with but unfortunately a family member passed away so she couldn't make it.

It's freaking Tool.

• dromunds
    Gawd you were close. Well done
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I want that poster in a very bad way!!

Glad you had a great time!! My favorite band, glad I can at least say I have seen them three times...
  • Nightfall
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I want that poster in a very bad way!!

Glad you had a great time!! My favorite band, glad I can at least say I have seen them three times...

I really wish I would have thought of you now, I should have grabbed one for you. Considering they're now selling on eBay for $200+ especially, I would have assumed you'd have been willing to pay the $45 for one. Sorry Larry!

• txcoastal1
    edited June 2017
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Some people that were more sly and not standing right in front of security got video of Tool.

That video isn't bad. As for pics and video's I'm surprised they actually didn't have the restricted lighting that only works with lens filtering. A lot of entertainers use it now days.

Phones and regular cams won't work and images come out a big blur of usually yellow.

Discovered this several tears ago at the Houston Rodeo concert. My kids were trying to take pics but they were "bright lighted out"

Being an integrated security guy, I took my sunglasses out, and used it as a filter (I do night focusing in my job), shot pics through my sunglasses and it cleaned up the pics.

• msg
    Interesting, Ron.
    Why don't bands want you taking photos?
    I disabled signatures.