HDMI issue? Opinions?

Options
So I have a Denon 3312ci, about 4 years old. Yesterday, there was no video output to my TV. I tried every source I have hooked up to it (5), and same thing each time - I get audio through the 5.1 channels, but the TV screen says no video source.
The odd thing is about 3 days ago my daughter was playing PS4 and she told me there was no sound out of the left and center channel, and sure enough, both were silent. It seems the
spade lugs of the speaker wire were loose, so I tightened up the binding posts and everything was fine. Until yesterday.

So I figured maybe the HDMI cable from the Denon to the Samsung was either loose, bad, or both. I tried connecting to a different input on the TV, nothing. So I replaced the cable with an AQ Forest 6', still no video. But before I threw the thing out the window, I noticed there are 2 HDMI outputs, so I moved the cable over and it seems to work fine now.

My question - is this likely going to happen to the other input soon? Do they usually fail like this, and is it worth trying to get it fixed? I got a great deal on this since it was open box, but it still cost over $400 and I'd hate to have to repair or replace it so soon.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    They do fail like that it may happen quickly to the one you're using now just no way to tell for sure. The biggest problem with most are HDMI issues. I never understood why if the are so heat intolerant why do the put them on top where all the heat rises to. Why not on the side or on the bottom. I'm sure that have their reasons.

ride it out until it fails not much else you can do.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately, there's no predicting these things, but like pitdogg suggested, the other might not be far behind... or it could outlast everything else in your system. Let's hope it's the latter.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Hi polrbehr and good morning to you. If it's only 1 HDMI connection, I question why it would take $400.00 to get it fixed. I take it that this would include shipping and insurance both ways to the Denon repair shop, along with the repair. Here's my question?

Is there a local electronic repair shop that can handle this small repair at a significantly less cost? $400.00 seems like highway robbery for what seems to be from what you are describing as a simple connection issue.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I think he meant the AVR cost him over $400.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Worst case scenario, if that output fails also, you can run your HDMI directly to the TV and then output from there to the receiver.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited June 2017
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I think he meant the AVR cost him over $400.
    Yes, I bought it for $439 IIRC, original MSRP was $1099.

I have not even bothered trying to get this fixed since the other HDMI output seems to be working, I guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. And just last week I was singing the virtues of AQ Cinnamon HDMI, I have to stop doing that... but I doubt that cable was the culprit, since it now resides in the other output and is working fine.
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Worst case scenario, if that output fails also, you can run your HDMI directly to the TV and then output from there to the receiver.

That would work until I got it repaired (or replaced since they seem to be throwaway items like everything else these days), but since the Samsung is something of a dinosaur, it's only got 3 HDMI inputs and I have more devices than that. I guess I can always go back to component video :o
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    HDMI fails after it sees more then 5 volts. HDMI boards are crap in most cases and fail so easily. I would get your Denon repaired as they rest of the HDMI in's and outs will fail. I have seen it 100 times or more.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.