Help me build a 2 way speaker

Options
2»

Comments

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited May 2017
    Options
    .... Vanilla derped. (double post removed)
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    Got anything smaller lol... My room is 10 x 14, if that. A 3 foot wide x 2 foot deep x 4 foot tall would take up darn near the entire room lol...

There is a cabinet for a 12" driver but still a large cabinet if going with the Jensen horn. Doc Hardy could tell you about the various folded horn options.

Look at it this way, you could be the only one on your block with speakers so big you are listening near field in any room.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2017
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    so -- here's a thought.
    Howzabout the venerable Eminence 12LTA twincone as a woofer?
    https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-12lta-12-full-range-pa-driver--290-409

DrH
    I think that would be an excellent choice

Dan you need to get those mini pass amps from Kerry ;)

Or a little integrated like Russman's 6watter

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Or a little integrated like Russman's 6watter

That was more my thought.... some sexy tubes perhaps...

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    so -- here's a thought.
    https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-12lta-12-full-range-pa-driver--290-409

Inexpensive, sensitive & decent sounding. These will have plenty of output up to 1500 Hz (or even higher) to cross over to the horn and driver of interest.
    There's a cabinet design PDF on the PE page above; it looks -- like a weird choice to me (quite small, so F3 is pretty high.

Years ago, during the 1990s fullrange driver craze, the late John Wyckoff built a pretty nice speaker kit (Hammer Dynamics Super 12) using the 12LTA augmented by a 'supertweeter' mounted (sort of) coaxially. The performance in a big vented box ('stuffed' with -- styrofoam peanuts!) was pretty darned good.

And that driver compared to the Eminence Definimax 4012HO? There is a cabinet thats like 2.5 cubic feet, which might be doable and its got a F3 of around 50...

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    so -- here's a thought.

Inexpensive, sensitive & decent sounding. These will have plenty of output up to 1500 Hz (or even higher) to cross over to the horn and driver of interest.
    There's a cabinet design PDF on the PE page above; it looks -- like a weird choice to me (quite small, so F3 is pretty high.

Years ago, during the 1990s fullrange driver craze, the late John Wyckoff built a pretty nice speaker kit (Hammer Dynamics Super 12) using the 12LTA augmented by a 'supertweeter' mounted (sort of) coaxially. The performance in a big vented box ('stuffed' with -- styrofoam peanuts!) was pretty darned good.

And that driver compared to the Eminence Definimax 4012HO? There is a cabinet thats like 2.5 cubic feet, which might be doable and its got a F3 of around 50...

The full range Eminence 12LTA twincone is capable up to 8000hz vs 2600Hz might be better use in a 2way design
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• EndersShadow
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

The full range Eminence 12LTA twincone is capable up to 8000khz vs 2600Khz, might be better use in a 2way design

Gotcha. The other reason for the other driver was the ability to dig as low in a smaller footprint. Double the price but the smaller footprint was a nicer option.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »

That one looks interesting, and I do like the price.....

Since you do a lot of music & DJ'ing using pro audio type drivers, what frequency do you think are MUST HAVES from Left/Right

For the past 15 years, I have used powered speakers with an electronic crossover and a powered sub. I haven't built any. My current rig has Electro Voice ZXA5 like this
    http://electrovoice.com/product.php?id=414 except mine has 60X60 for distance and to use in pairs or in my case X3 per side when I am doing outdoor gigs that need longer range and I use 4 http://electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2596

the Eminence Beta-12LTA that @mhardy6647 suggested might hit a little lower then the Seas H1794 I suggested at a lower cost. Although I don't know what one of the two would be more musical. The rest could be room dependent.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Options
    For a little bit more, https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-fullrange/seas-prestige-fa22rcz-h1597-08-8-fullrange/
    might work in a smaller enclosure, and dig a bit lower.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    What a fun project! "If it was me":
    I'd think about abandoning the dig super deep in that small of a room. (what is the height and true shape?)
    Look for a mid or woof with the fastest transient response possible.
    Not overlap the ranges as horns are honkers :D
    No L-Pads. (choose drivers and Xovers wisely)
    take my time...
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Lotta ways to skin this cat

• EndersShadow
    Options
    I'm in no rush here, I'm going to go slow and steady. This is a slow burn thread
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So I had Russ @lightman1 over yesterday to just hang out and listen to some tunes and we got to talking.....

I spent most of last night looking at drivers and starting to come up a bit empty on decent drivers that would dig into the 40's with high enough sensitivity and NOT need a coffin sized box...

I was either finding drivers that would dig deep enough but had low sensitivity (like the regular 8 ohm Tang Bang full range drivers), or ones with really high sensitivity but wouldn't go that deep.

As I'm not super good with WinISD modeling the ones I was looking at one by one just wasnt an option from a time or technical perspective....

My goal is still to keep the driver sensitivity as high as possible to allow for use with flea power amps, such as tubes, or Class A, but without having a box the size of a room.

The horn is 17" wide x 5.5" tall x 10.5" deep so at min I wanted to try and keep the box size barely wider than the horn's width, and also a bit deeper than the horn as well.

So in thinking of box size, I was hoping for a driver that would work in a box along the lines of 17-19 inches wide x 15-20 inches tall x 10 - 12 inches deep in a ported box....

Then this morning I remembered that DIYSoundGroup has a bunch of kit options and most of them use waveguides, but more importantly larger pro drivers in fairly small-ish boxes....

So I started looking and found this gem of a kit which uses a off the shelf Eminence Delta Pro-12A...

The info on this kit says "The Tempest is vented and provides bass extension to 40hz (-3db) with a little extra kick in the mid and upper bass range"... and the flatpack for this driver is sized at: 14.5" x 26" x 14.25" deep, 2 cu ft net when used with ports

Now I realize this kit and what I'm doing are not exactly the same, however I think with some modeling I can play with that driver and get it to work for my setup.....

If I tweak the box size a bit as long as I keep the internals close and port it right I should be ok....

Alternately there is a smaller version of this same kit that uses a the Eminence Delta-10A, so I may also play around with that driver. As configured that kit only hits 55hz and I'm guessing that it due to driver limitations, so the Delta Pro-12A may be the driver to pick.

I have no idea thought how I'm going to overcome the fact that both drivers will be 8 ohms, so I either have a 16 ohm load, which isnt ideal for any amp, or a 4 ohm load which may be a problem for a lot of amps. So any help here would be appreciated.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Dan's horny....

w3mnasr5ecck.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    if you were willing to give them the volume they need and went infinite baffle...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/bozak-speakers-2-x-12-woofers-4-tweeters-/182595741397?hash=item2a838de6d5:g:gMkAAOSw~y9ZKr9i

They are nice as they are designed 1st order and all you would need are
    8 or 16 ohm inductors. They are in theory all the same as Bozak b199's didn't
    change. They are fine w/ SS amps. You can dance to them.

I'd do this before spending $260.00 on Pro woofs.

or go the @mhardy6647 route and find some nice altecs as mentioned.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Dan I like the looks of that Tempest kit, it has a flat pack kit for the cabinet.

You might be able to use it, plus if you could cut a new Front Baffle for the kit so you could put the Horn on top would be cool!

Wish I hadn't seen it as it make me want to build it.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Wish I hadn't seen it as it make me want to build it.

The DIYSoundGroup stuff is awesome. I used their flatpack for my DIY sub and I know @Conradicles did the same. Both of us are super happy.

Ryan purchased a bunch of their Volt-6 kits for surrounds and ATMOS and I know a lot of folks that are huge fans of their larger kits like the Fusion 15 lol...

voltz wrote: »
    Dan I like the looks of that Tempest kit, it has a flat pack kit for the cabinet.

You might be able to use it, plus if you could cut a new Front Baffle for the kit so you could put the Horn on top would be cool!

I'm not thinking I can make that particular size work as its wider than I want if I laid it on its side, but I'm debating too....

In doing some quick fast dirty math, a box that is 20 wide x 13 deep x 20 tall and uses 3/4" wood has internal dimensions of 18.5 x 11.5 x 18.5. That equates to 2.2 cubic square feet. After subtracting the driver, ports and some small amount of bracing, that likely gets me RIGHT to 2.0 cubic square feet....

With the horn on top, that gives me a final dimension of 20 wide x 13 deep x 25.5 tall which is I think an acceptable size for what I need.

The Tempest box size, which likely needs tweaking since the waveguide and compression tweeter wont be there taking up internal space, is 14.5" wide x 26" tall x 13.5" deep, and I'd likely lay it on its side and try to tweak out some of that width so its closer to the dimensions of the horn sitting on top. But the flatpack is right around 2 cubic feet as well, probably a bit under once you subtract the port and driver from the enclosure....

I have this feeling I am going to end up with a almost 2 foot wide x 2 foot tall x 1.5 foot speaker size lol.....

The only thing I'm not sure of is if I need to have the ports fire front or back, or if I can have them fire out the side. If they have to fire out the front or back I'm going to end up with a speaker thats quite deep unless I do a 90 degree turn internally with the port which I think your supposed to avoid.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Sounds like your getting it worked out and it is turning into a super cool DIY project. Have fun with it B)

I did a backwards load horn speaker with a full range 6 1/2 driver that has front port without a crossover made it a lot easier.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Dan to correct your above post, I bought 6 of the Volt 8LXs for surrounds, 4 Volt 6LXs for Atmos, and 4 of the 4cf sealed flat packs for 4 of the 6 subs.

I have been chatting with Matt Grant (the designer) about what I would need to do to the crossovers to swap out the DNA-150 compression driver for Selenium D220ti CDs which are the step down from the Selenium CDs used in my JTRs.

As an aside, I still think you should send me those horns and let me do something magical with them. ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Dan to correct your above post, I bought 6 of the Volt 8LXs for surrounds, 4 Volt 6LXs for Atmos, and 4 of the 4cf sealed flat packs for 4 of the 6 subs.

I have been chatting with Matt Grant (the designer) about what I would need to do to the crossovers to swap out the DNA-150 compression driver for Selenium D220ti CDs which are the step down from the Selenium CDs used in my JTRs.

As an aside, I still think you should send me those horns and let me do something magical with them. ;)

I met Matt once, he's a nice guy for sure and knows his stuff.
    I've got plans for the horns its just a matter of cost of drivers and getting things on the road. I'm stuck between either the Dayton PA-360 or Eminence Delta Pro 12A. Delta's are 2x more than the Daytons. The Eminence like a smaller box and a F3 of 50, the Daytons like a slightly larger box and can do a F3 of 45. Then there is a sensitivity v max wattage trade off between the two...

I have debated asking for your help building the enclosure to house the woofer driver either initially, or the final product once I get things dialed in since I'm going to use an electronic crossover till I get everything dialed in...
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on