hooking two speaker wires into on plug..

Options
2»

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Signal bi-wire is decent wire for the money. Two from power source to four into the 703s. I am having great sound from it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Deron,
    Do you know what wire signal uses?

It's Canare on the signal ultra. They use two runs of 4s6
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Deron,
    Do you know what wire signal uses?

It's Canare on the signal ultra. They use two runs of 4s6

I thought it was all Canare. Different gauge, shielding and terminations.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    I have some Signal Ultra that uses two runs of 4S8. Not bi-wire, just standard banana/spade.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I have some Signal Ultra that uses two runs of 4S8. Not bi-wire, just standard banana/spade.

I think you're right 4s8 either way i noticed it was Carnare when i reterminated my ultras. I have given some thought to doing a dual run of 4s11 for kicks :p
  • msg
    Options
    I kinda like that CrimpTubes®™ idea.
    I wonder how strain-resistant they are?
    Do they bend/break easily under the weight of cables? Seems like they'd be best used with 45° connectors where appropriate? With my bookshelf speakers I try to bind the cable to a stand leg for strain relief if possible.

I wouldn't like my DIY cables to start showing skin here. I probably go overkill with the heatshrink in the wire insertion/connector area with layered, overlapping heatshrink.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    They are supported by the banana or spade. In reality they are not much different than say a banana bfa type. Personally i wouldn't used them by themselves i would put them in a banana or spade
  • msg
    Options
    I understand. I mean, are they still prone to breaking at that point where they exit a connector? Seems like that'd be a weak point with heavy cables, does that make sense?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Never happened to me. I used them with Audioquest mammoth cables. Those are like heavy garden hoses and an 8gauge cable. Still had multiple gauge wires and the tubes kept the smaller gauge wires tight. Without the crimp tubes i found the smaller gauge wires would work loose if you put too tight of twist on them (sm gauge wire) they would break.
    The weakest link in the audioquest speaker cable is the tiny gauge wire they use with the larger gauge wire. IME they are the first to break.
  • dannylightning
    Options
    thanks everyone., i think ill look into that power conditioning a bit more, my regular surge protector probably docent clean up the sound much. lol

as far as the regular stuff goes i guess my speaker wire is my weakest link and i want to see if a set of nicer speaker cable can do anything for me. i have always bought budget speaker wire in the past.

if i get that AQ wire now i know the proper way to set it up. thanks everyone
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options

dannylightning,
    I have a set of the AQ Slate bi-wire cables that pitdogg2 referenced. They are good cables and nice looking with their larger diameter coverings. Mine came with Paradigm speakers that I purchased several years ago. I certainly paid more than that price. I have used them bi-wired on the Paradigms and as a single signal (spade and banana) to each binding post on my SDA 2B's.

The cables can always be shortened if too long with your new knowledge.

On a more serious topic, are you related to lightman1?
    xe18dky289np.jpg

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • dannylightning
    Options

dannylightning,
    I have a set of the AQ Slate bi-wire cables that pitdogg2 referenced. They are good cables and nice looking with their larger diameter coverings. Mine came with Paradigm speakers that I purchased several years ago. I certainly paid more than that price. I have used them bi-wired on the Paradigms and as a single signal (spade and banana) to each binding post on my SDA 2B's.

xe18dky289np.jpg

thanks for the info... i do not know lightman1.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Danny - That is a great deal on BlueBirdMusic's AQ Slate cables!

If for some reason they don't work for what you're looking to do, I have some AudioQuest Type 8 cables (8' length) that are terminated with BFA nanners on the amp end and bi-wired with spades on the speaker end. I just picked them up, but unfortunately they don't work for my setup. I just listed them in the Flea Market.

I actually think BBM's cables would work better since if I'm reading this thread right, you do NOT want bi-wire terminations, correct?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options

dannylightning,

xe18dky289np.jpg

Well you should....I'm frikken awesome!
  • dannylightning
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Danny - That is a great deal on BlueBirdMusic's AQ Slate cables!

If for some reason they don't work for what you're looking to do, I have some AudioQuest Type 8 cables (8' length) that are terminated with BFA nanners on the amp end and bi-wired with spades on the speaker end. I just picked them up, but unfortunately they don't work for my setup. I just listed them in the Flea Market.

I actually think BBM's cables would work better since if I'm reading this thread right, you do NOT want bi-wire terminations, correct?

thanks. i really wanted to try that type 4 after reading so much about it so i decided to go ahead order some some type 4 off of a spool

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Great catch on the humor lightman1!!

I knew you would respond.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

dannylightning,

xe18dky289np.jpg

Well you should....I'm frikken awesome!

Rolls eye's :*
  • msg
    Options
    Shut up Tom.
    (Russ says it's important to throw those out here and there)
    I disabled signatures.