First World Problems, or "Now, where did I put that 5V4GA?

So after changing the cathode bypass caps (temporarily using cheapo "cannon fodder electrolytics in case there are other issues!) on my poor Angela/JE Labs simple 2A3 amp variant, I wanted to smoke test the result. I felt like it might not be the best idea to use the rather nice 5V4G HV rectifier that I've been using in the amp given its metastable condition. So, somewhere, I've got a 5V4GA that I used to use in it.

The key word there is somewhere.

I musta spent two hours yesterday, in multiple sessions, looking for the danged thing. I get sort of obsessive about such matters. Now, you'd have thought I'd have put it somewhere obvious or at least logical, right? Well -- whatever logic or obviousness I applied at the time (probably a year ago, give or take) sure ain't obvious now.

So I gritted my teeth and used the 5V4G -- and a Variac and a Kill-a-Watt (to monitor power draw), and the amp fired up fine. I haven't - yet - had the chutzpah to run it for more than about 10 minutes at a time, but right now it looks like (?) the blown bypass cap was (as they say in the medical profession) idiopathic.

... and I still don't know where that danged 5V4GA is.

I think I am gonna get one or two spares :neutral: Just seems prudent. They're not even terribly expensive. I kinda like the shape of the GA, it's this weird kinda squat, chubby bottle. I think I identify with the GA -- it was probably always the last rectifier picked for the team, you know? ;)

15775285592_828de568a5_b.jpgDSC_0586 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The 5V4G has an ST-shaped envelope.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Buy 1
    Murphy's law the other will pop up shortly after you receive the new one ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Buy 1
    Murphy's law the other will pop up shortly after you receive the new one ;)

Buy one ??

Now that's funny, Doc and Brock are penny pinchers. Sounds like a candy bar, Doc and Brock.....or a whiskey label. lol

The 5v4ga will show up Doc...when your looking for something else. Always happens that way.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I still have 1 or 2 in my stash. Early RCA or Sylvania. Don't have anything that currently uses them.............but if you need one I'd let it go cheap.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Thanks for the offer -- I don't need one... but I may PM you nonetheless!

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    15775285592_828de568a5_b.jpg

Mark, it looks like you could use some right angle RCA adapters.

I have some extras I could send your way. @SCompRacer clued me in to them and I use them with my Bottlehead Reduction + Induction:

35393891656_d0fb340663_b.jpg

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I've got different cables on there now :) That photo dates back a-ways; I got a fair amount of peer pressure here to de-monsterize ;) Those cables were, of course, dump finds!

Thanks for the mention/offer, though!