Damn it........... Cables matter!!

124»

Comments

• crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    That's what I thought for a long time. Then i tried it for myself. I'm not here to impose my thoughts on anyone. I just say try it for yourself.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    crashb4 wrote: »
    That's what I thought for a long time. Then i tried it for myself. I'm not here to impose my thoughts on anyone. I just say try it for yourself.

He seems to have hearing issues.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Cables... what are they????
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Well done @crashb4 .
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • I see MIT in someone future.
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    MIT T2 in place from pre to amp. Already started. Shhhhh. Don't tell mother.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • F1nut wrote: »

He seems to have hearing issues.

I know I have hearing issues and even through the tinnitus I heard a big difference between the Signal Cables and the S3's you had suggested. Thank you for all your help.

As an added bonus the wife heard the difference and loves the new cables. It might be time to search out a few interconnects. B)

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    crashb4 wrote: »

We say, and have always said "try it for yourself" also. With audio being such a subjective thing, you have to approach it with an open mind. You can read the pro's and con's all day on the internet, but until you try things for yourself you'll never move forward.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited February 2017
    Yup
    I've used cables on my ushers and they sound great

Hooked them up to Skips ushers and they were dull vs the ones he had

Synergy baby....synergy
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Michael8it
    Michael8it Posts: 192
    For what it's worth... I have more experience in Pro Audio than I do with home HiFi. I have used cheap cables that would allow hum, radio interference, and all kinds of other unwanted noise. I was at wits end trying to get this noise out of our sound system. I switch the cheap cables for a pair of Mogami cables at 3 to 4 times the price of the cheap ones... and all the noise was gone. As a Navy Electronics Technician, I thought I understood the basic principles of electricity, and I never bought into the high end cable idea, until this.

When AT&T was developing our phone system in the 1940's, they found that they needed to wind the wires at a specific rate to keep the signal quality up. If they did not wind the wires at a specific rate, the signal quality would degrade significantly. The same principle is true with CAT5 and CAT6 in the digital realm. The real difference between the two is the rate at which the cable is wound and where they are placed in the pack of wires. CAT6 can run at a higher speed (think frequency) than CAT5.

Each wire also has an inductive field around it. If you have ever seen an electrician testing for the presence of electricity with a wand, or lit up a florescent bulb simply by holding it close to a power source, you have seen this in action. The fields from each wire are constantly intersecting each other. This is why the winding of the wire is important. If you wind the wire at the proper rate, you can support a certain band of frequencies. They actually complement each other. If you wind it at the wrong rate, the fields interfere and can even attenuate each other. This is why the winding was so important to AT&T, and CAT5 and CAT6 cable.

If you translate this concept to analog audio, the rate at which the cable is wound, combined with the thickness of the individual strands impacts how frequencies travel through the wire. They can complement or compete with each other. Obviously (or perhaps not so obviously) there is an art to knowing how to make them for the best possible audio quality. Mogami understands this in the Pro Audio market. Sounds like some folks have figured this out for HiFi as well.
    Carver C-1, M-500 MKII, Yamaha HTR-5835, Polk RTA 12BM's (M-for mod'd).
  • F1nut
    Give that man a cookie. B)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    LOL...good observation Michael, and those reasons are just the tip of the iceberg. More goes into a cable than just wire than many think.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    F1nut wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The only silver cable I have experience with is the Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable. This replaced the stock Pass cable between the preamp and its power supply, and this cable resulted in a virtual upgrade to a new preamp far beyond the stock XP-20.

The Revelation Audio silver umbilical cords are beyond amazing.

I just took delivery of the Revelation Audio Labs CryoSilver Reference umbilical power cord that goes between my Cary SLP-98 pre amp and its power supply.

Out of the gate, 1st red book cd The Very Best of Talk Talk ... no critical listening, yet ... all I can say is Nice work, man!
    I'm hearing shinola I haven't head before
    Thanks RAL!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    Personally, I think someone would have to be deaf not to hear the improvements from using RAL cables. I certainly wasn't expecting the improvements I got. My only complaint is that I didn't get them sooner.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes, the RAL is certainly worth the money, at least when used as an umbilical for power supplies. How in the world that can affect the sound I have no idea, but it sure as Hades does.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Personally, I think someone would have to be deaf not to hear the improvements from using RAL cables. I certainly wasn't expecting the improvements I got. My only complaint is that I didn't get them sooner.

Are you using their power cords? Where are you using them?

• F1nut
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

No, I'm using their power supply umbilical cords, which replaced the seemingly adequate stock versions. Although I've already upgraded all my power cords with PS Audio I wouldn't mind trying the RAL versions.

I'm with Bud, I didn't think the umbilical cords mattered much. Boy, was I wrong.

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

No, I'm using their power supply umbilical cords, which replaced the seemingly adequate stock versions. Although I've already upgraded all my power cords with PS Audio I wouldn't mind trying the RAL versions.

I'm with Bud, I didn't think the umbilical cords mattered much. Boy, was I wrong.

Ditto!
    I've got AC12's powering up my Rogue M-180 monos
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Yes, the RAL is certainly worth the money, at least when used as an umbilical for power supplies. How in the world that can affect the sound I have no idea, but it sure as Hades does.

H - E double hockey sticks .... I'm offended!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Just for the record, I gotta say ...

I'm totally offended by that 60s bikini behind the flattering Burka

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I never in a million years would have EVER thought that F1 would be talking about the benefits of silver.

*drops to floor*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Cables matter, always have, always will.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Cables matter big time, and there are plenty of good ones. Just be careful to not join the “cable of the week” club.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • tonyb
    stones89 wrote: »
    Cables matter big time, and there are plenty of good ones. Just be careful to not join the “cable of the week” club.

Is that kinda like sausage of the month clubs ? Because I've had some really good ones...and some t u r ds. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    :D A m e n to that!
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited June 2017
    tonyb wrote: »
    stones89 wrote: »

Is that kinda like sausage of the month clubs ? :)

walk away, waaalk away leave it alone leeeave it alone......
    shaking head and walking away o:)

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Golly Gee Wiz & Jumpin Jehosaphat when ya all gonna learn all you need for good cables is a couple thousand straitened out old rusty paper clips, acid core solder to solder'em end to end and a boat load of duck tape for insulation. Heck if ya gots enough paper clips and tape over you could even do a litz type cable.

Yes I'ma wear'n my "Leave it to Beaver" tee shirt and have run this post through my "Daniel Boone" P.C. & Censor filter before post'n.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain