Elac Adante AS-61 Stand mount speakers

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,704
edited June 2017 in Speakers
Another innovative design by Andrew Jones. The woofer is internally mounted with ports that help feed a passive radiator. There is a floor stander as well.

xx3qn0oms2tj.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Speaking of Neat. A very similar design by Neat acoustics.

http://neatacoustics.com/momentum-sx3i/

q4du5nydzbs6.png
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That's actually very interesting, thanks for sharing. Why use ports though?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Tuning/control?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    The Neat speaker is interesting too. I note they are using Mundorf caps and doped paper drivers, which as I've often stated, are still considered by many as the best. Polk really knew what they were doing using them in their SDA and Monitor speakers back in the '70's/80's/early 90's.

The one thing I prefer with the Elac is the lack of an external port making them easier to place close to a rear wall or corner. I could not find the frequency specs for the Neat. Do you know what they are Mike?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Jesse, neat. But there will be that guy on Amazon complaining the woofer has no magnet or wires going to it. :smiley:

No doubt!

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Neat speaker is interesting too. I note they are using Mundorf caps and doped paper drivers, which as I've often stated, are still considered by many as the best. Polk really knew what they were doing using them in their SDA and Monitor speakers back in the '70's/80's/early 90's.

The one thing I prefer with the Elac is the lack of an external port making them easier to place close to a rear wall or corner. I could not find the frequency specs for the Neat. Do you know what they are Mike?

Haven't been able to find them either. Their sx7i really has my attention. In fact I will be listening to a pair this weekend. I will ask my dealer the specs, it's weird they don't publish them.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    I eagerly await your impressions.

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Interesting indeed.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Haven't been able to find them either. Their sx7i really has my attention. In fact I will be listening to a pair this weekend. I will ask my dealer the specs, it's weird they don't publish them.

Looking forward to some impressions as well.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    I (still) don't think one can beat paper (doped or au naturel) for realistic reproduction of sound :)

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Didn't JVC do something like this with their portables in thr late 80's ? They loaded a small woofer in a base tube and a paasive on thr bottom of the boombox.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • F1nut
    I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised. You wait long enough and what once was is again.

President of Club Polk

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Linn famously introduced their Isobarik designs back in the 70's.More recently Totem did it with their excellent sounding Mani 2. Isobaric loading in a 2 way can potentially introduce strong colourations in the midrange. The Totem's seemed free of such issues.
  • mikeyb128
    Hopefully going to make it down to the shop Saturday for a listen. Will leave my impressions here. The owner was at my place Wednesday helping me with my new table. He said they have oodles of bass, and that the bookies are quite impressive.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @aboroth00 had a sub that worked similar with 4 active drivers behind 4 passives.

Looked cool but shipping would be a pain so I didn't even consider it when he was selling it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    @aboroth00 had a sub that worked similar with 4 active drivers behind 4 passives.

Looked cool but shipping would be a pain so I didn't even consider it when he was selling it.

Yup and I still have the thing. Ended up keeping it because it's a darn good sub and just couldn't let it go for less. Still sounds pretty darn awesome.

James loudspeaker seemed to do it a lot, limits output but the EMB1000 got pretty good reviews when it was still available.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert