Might be a longshot, but looking for a mid-range USB DAC

Hey gang,
Been looking for a few weeks and haven't had any luck scoring a USB DAC to use in my 2-ch system. I'm making some changes and need one to replace the aging Laptop/PCMCIA soundcard setup that I've been using for a few years.

Looking for something $150-$300. Must have asynchronous USB, prefer it it can accept 24/192 over usb, but might consider something that only does 24/96. DSD would be a bonus, but its not a must have. Also, something with balanced out would be nice, but not absolutely needed. Looking for something with a good reputation. Schiit Bifrost, M1DAC, IRDAC, RDAC, or even one of the Chinese upstarts.

Let me know what you have.
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I use an SMSL M8 in my work headphone rig. They've recently upgraded the DAC chip & USB receiver so the M8A is the latest model. Massdrop frequently has them for $180 ish. Meets all your criteria except for having balanced outs. I've been very pleased with mine.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Cambridge Audio DACMagic (not plus or 100), might be in that range... forget if its Async or not and bitrate, but its got balanced out.

One of the newer models like the Plus might do all that, but it would be hard to find under 300 bones I would think....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Cambridge Audio DACMagic (not plus or 100), might be in that range... forget if its Async or not and bitrate, but its got balanced out.

One of the newer models like the Plus might do all that, but it would be hard to find under 300 bones I would think....

Original Dacmagic is not Async. Its USB is terrible and the price for it is closer to $100 in most cases these days. Partsconnexion actually had the Dacmagic Plus refurbished for $250 in May. I missed it by a few days.
  • billbillw
    The Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 is on sale at Amazon for $199.99 and the Cambridge - DACMagic Plus for $349.85 - both have choice of black or silver.

Those are pretty much standard pricing on those...Not interested in paying full price for anything.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Its an auction so who knows how high it will get but has a day left and sitting at $250 for a DACMagic Plus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cambridge-Audio-Dacmagic-Plus-/252990870627?hash=item3ae76e5463:g:xXoAAOSwPK1ZQLpA
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • billbillw
    OK. Thanks guys. I'm throughly watching eBay, a-gon, headfi ,etc. Was really checking here to see if anyone had something they were thinking to sell.
  • billbillw
    Schiit Audio (internet direct plus sells some stuff at Amazon) has 3 under $250 DACs in their MODI 2 line. Their Modi Multibit sells for $249.

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

giel25m2xuzr.png

There are a truck load of reviews of the Multibit at the AudioKarma forum. This DAC has USB, Coax, and Optical inputs:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/schiit-modi-multibit.726353/

Thanks, but well aware of the entire Schiit lineup. Guys, I'm looking for someone here selling a used DAC.
  • billbillw
    edited June 2017
    I ended up grabbing a Teac 301 for $222 with 1 yr warranty (factory refurbished). Hard to beat that deal. I've read lots of good reviews at headfi. Yes, I realize it is DSD capable...
    Post edited by billbillw on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    billbillw wrote: »
    I ended up grabbing a Teac 301 for $222 with 1 yr warranty (factory refurbished). Hard to beat that deal. I've read lots of good reviews at headfi. Yes, I realize it is DSD capable...

Congrats man, I think you may dig it. The Teac dacs sound musical and a tad on the warmer side of neutral to my ears anyway. Let us know your thoughts once you have a few songs under your belt with it. :)

LOL....A few songs....I'm not pushy for reviews am I.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • billbillw
    Yeah, I've read it's pretty neutral which is what I want. My integrated has a bit of tube warmth to it. Some at headfi claim it punches with the DACs in the $6-800 price range.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Wait a sec, Bill, let me get this right - are you looking for someone here selling a used DAC, or for all of us to just throw out names of our favorites?
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    msg wrote: »
    Wait a sec, Bill, let me get this right - are you looking for someone here selling a used DAC, or for all of us to just throw out names of our favorites?

Not really looking for anything now that I've purchased something.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Dehr. Extra traffic I missed earlier.
    Cool. I was curious about those TEAC units, too.
    I disabled signatures.
  • billbillw
    I'll continue my" Making a Change" thread with impressions, setup, etc once I get the Teac and setup everything.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177769/making-a-change#latest