Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 x 200 or Parasound 5250 v2 for HT

13»

Comments

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited June 2017
    Maybe you can write it all up in one of your "engineering reports" on Monday.

lol
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    BlueFox wrote: »
    LOL. Just as with politics, some people just make things up, and then try to pass it off as fact. Still awaiting the real world data to compare to the industry data. Then again, since the industry is in the real world, I'm not sure just what real world data actually is. :)

Bud,

I am offended that you do not take marketing brochures as law and present real world, factual benchmarks.

I think you are just jealous an AVR pumps out 1400 mega watts... more than your Pass Labs. Pioneer said so. Hahaha.

Wowza.

Cheers my friend.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Just as I thought. No data to support your opinion. That's fine, but doesn't help your credibility.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    Why don't you manufacture some for me?

Better yet... how 'bout you "engineer" some for me?

lol
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Fwiw my facts came from an old sunfire link. I had the choice of 17" model or 19" model. Not knowing i just went with 17". I do not think it would of made a difference in spec's. So the model was the old model with the joule window once again i do not not know if it is the same model the op was looking at. Regardless it's been sold and out if the running and the op has switched gears for now.....
    Jeesh

Off to fix my a stiff gin and tonic
  • BlueFox
    Why don't you manufacture some for me?

lol

That makes no sense. Typical though. Anyway, I have posted real data to support my point, so until something sane and relevant is posted I am moving on. There is music to listen to, along with beer to drink, tonight.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Can I have one!

I need one after being roughed up by this crowd!

Whew!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Can I have one!

Whew!!

h9fojm7hstbj.jpg
    Fix your own
  • Gatecrasher
    Man with that I sure would!
  • pitdogg2
    Best gin i ever had beat Tanqueray and Bombay by a large margin. I'll stoop once in a while and have a Tanqueray rangpur lime.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Specs aside, I just can't imagine the Pio would be as good as the Sunfire. That being said, the Pio I was using was NOT a top of the line, so...maybe.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Gin tastes like pine needles. Rather, what I think pine needles taste like anyway.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    edited June 2017

My apologies for contributing to that feeling. I wasn't trying to be a bad person, rather I was trying to be accurate. That is just my personality, and while it perfectly messes with my engineering job, it conflicts with people, which, obviously, results in a misunderstanding.

If someone were to offer me a choice between the Pioneer or the Sunfire then I would jump on the Pioneer. Not because the amp specs aren't better than the Sunfire, but because it is nearly equal in that area, and has beaucoup features.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    edited June 2017
    Protest:

Ken edited my post. I did not ask for that, nor was it necessary. Please remove my censored post.

For posterity.

9nd2oydvyoa9.png

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to be a bad person, rather I was trying to be accurate.

This should read:
    I wasn't trying to be annoying, rather I was trying to be accurate.

The original post was:
    I wasn't trying to be a <Richard>, rather I was trying to be accurate.

In what universe is "bad person" synonymous with <Richard>?

LOL

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    New Polk Rule: If you think someone is being a <Richard> just call them a "bad person." :D:D:p

You know, like someone is probably going to do to me regarding this post ;)
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    My favorite color is maroon
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited June 2017

Is your house filled with many leather bound books and smell of rich mahogany?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    Nightfall wrote: »

Is your house filled with many leather bound books and smell of rich mahogany?

Wrapped in the finest Corinthian leather...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    So where does damping factor fit in to all of this? How come the pioneer doesn't have that spec on their list?
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • pitdogg2
    I myself have never seen that spec given for a receiver. That being said I have heard HIGH dampening factor amps that sounded like crap to my ears and heard LOW dampening factor amps that did not. How well an amp controls the drivers is important but I believe there are other factors also in play as well.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Still debating a 5 channel amp for my HT setup. Anyone have experience with both a Parasound A51 and a Sunfire TGA 5400/7400/7401. I only need 5 channels but the 7 channel Sunfire amps are more commonly for sale. This would be used to drive 4 x LSIM 703s and a 706.

The Sunfire takes up less rack space and runs cooler but I wonder how they compare sonically.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I might ultimately upgrade my fronts to LSIM 705's so I definitely want plenty of power.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2017
    The Sunfire is more than up to the task. I have heard the amps in question in a side by side, and to me, it was very close, but the Sunfire had a bit more control to the bottom end, and is more flexible in how it can be used. The two channels not being used can be reassigned and used to bi-amp your mains.

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    The Sunfire is more than up to the task. I have heard the amps in question in a side by side, and to me, it was very close, but the Sunfire had a bit more control to the bottom end, and is more flexible in how it can be used. The two channels not being used can be reassigned and used to bi-amp your mains.

I think for size and heat the Sunfire is definitely the better choice for my application. Good to hear they sound good as well!
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I love my Sunfire. It was the only 5 channel amp being built at the time, that I could physically lift at 40lbs, no heat even when pushed hard, and gobs of power. Go for it!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz wrote: »
    I love my Sunfire. It was the only 5 channel amp being built at the time, that I could physically lift at 40lbs, no heat even when pushed hard, and gobs of power. Go for it!

Dang, that's one generous offer, Ms. Cfrizz ! Are you including IC's with this free giveaway ? I think that's only fair.
    I'm not sure what time I can get there, but if you leave a key under the doormat, I'll just let myself in.

Thanks ! :)

Sal Palooza