Fiji Vacation

tratliff
tratliff Posts: 1,651
edited June 2017 in The Clubhouse
In a thread the other day I mentioned I was spending the week in Fiji and TonyB asked for pictures.

Well I'm on my last day and it will be mostly spent with return travel.

The week has been great. This place is a real paradise.

We stayed at the Marriott Momi Bay resort in an over the water bungalow. The accommodations are first class. We visited the island that the Tom Hanks movie cast away was filmed and also an island where Survior is currently being filmed. We visited the town Nadi for a day of sight seeing and to get lunch at a authentic restaurant.

The time difference is very difficult to get use to. It is 7:45 am Sunday as I write this. We have found that we go to sleep early and wake as the sun comes up. The travel distance was much more than we are used to. We normally travel to Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean. We had to take a flight from DFW to LAX and then from LAX to Fiji. The flight from LAX to Fiji was over 11 hours crossing the international date line.

I have many pictures but they are on different devices currently. Once I get home and get them organized I will post more. But here are a couple that I have on the iPad of the resort.

l3ogg45sfso4.jpg

mu2dbpeuvuqc.jpg
2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Looks beautiful there, Todd. Sounds like you guys thoroughly enjoyed yourselves. As a vacation should be. If you have a hard time getting back in gear for work, then you know it was really a good one. Or you're just lazy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    I'm sure the pics. don't due the place justice! Went to Exuma, Bahamas in March and was totally astounded by the crystal clear water. Going back next year and rent a boat for 3 days and explore the islands on our own verses going on an excursion.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Give me the Emoji for ENVY!!!

Looks absolutely beautiful, and I hope you have had and are having a great time!

Are you going home from Fiji, or are you going on to New Zealand?

I've been encouraged by friends in NZ to take that trip as a way to visit to great places and to break up the flights.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Awesome pics Todd. Always wanted to go to Fiji and stay in an over-water bungalow.
    charley95 wrote: »
    I'm sure the pics. don't due the place justice! Went to Exuma, Bahamas in March and was totally astounded by the crystal clear water. Going back next year and rent a boat for 3 days and explore the islands on our own verses going on an excursion.

If you rent a boat in the Bahamas... buy the insurance... don't ask me how I know. :p

Daughter number 2 and I are going to the Bahamas next week while wife and daughter number 1 go on a Girl Scout trip. Sooooo looking forward to a week snorkeling with Kara in the Caribbean! Your pics, Todd, were perfect timing to fuel our excitement! Thanks for sharing.
  • charley95
    You staying @ Sandals?
  • scubalab
    charley95 wrote: »
    You staying @ Sandals?

With my daughter? :o

Actually, my family has a house on Grand Bahama on a canal a stones throw from the beach (close to the old Xanadu resort) and about a 10 minute drive to Port Lucaya. Very cool little vacation home. We can't complain about the price either... ;)

We had a bad experience renting a boat on Abaco about 15 years ago. We opted for the cheaper insurance (that had a $1500 deductible). Funny how they found $2000 in damages that we were sure we didn't cause. At worst, we may have worn the prop (did hit sand at low speed, but they claimed there was shaft & engine damage too. Charged $1500 in damages (the entire deductible) to our credit card 2 weeks after we left. Our lawyer said we'd spend more trying to fight it since it was international. Live and learn. We had a similar damage to a boat in Ocean City, MD (my brother hit sand at low tide at a little higher speed). Damage was $150 for a new prop... props must be really, really expensive in Abaco!
  • charley95
    I was just curious if you stayed at a resort. We did Sandals in march in Nassau. Had some issues there so, we got 3 days out of them to come back. Took a boat excursion to Exuma and fell in love with the place but the excursion limits what you can do. I thought I'd rent a little boat from Winns in Exuma and go explore. Any chance I could bend your ear sometime about getting some tips on what to do down there? All I wanna do is putz around the cays down there and hit the little bar on the water called Chat & Chill that's only accessible by boat and gorge on Conch salad. All I know about Winn's boat rental in Exuma is what Trip advisor reviews say. $150 a day to rent a little puddle jumper which sounds cheap to me.
  • scubalab
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I think we found Evil Kenevil of the water variety. :D

It was amazing the lack of training/preparation/advice they gave us in the Bahamas when we rented that whaler for the week. And we're by no means 'experienced' boaters!! Heck, we've rented little ski boats and pontoons in PA state parks and had to go through about an hour of safety training, and operating instruction.

Charley - feel free to PM me and we can chat.

I just realized that I TOTALLY hijacked the thread here - Terribly sorry Todd... :(

So, in order to get it back on track, we want to hear more about FIJI!! So, Todd, when you get home and recover from the jetlag, let's see some more pics from the South Pacific!!! Anxiously awaiting!
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    It's an amazing part of the world. Fiji is on my bucket list, but I did get to spend 4 days in Boracay (Philippine resort island) in 2012, and it was the most incredible beach I've ever seen. Baby powder white sand, beautiful clear water and cheap! I think I spent about $90 a night for a beachside hotel (with a pool side view.)

But agreed on the travel. Thankfully I was going for work so they covered travel, hotels, etc. Either way, it was a 15 hour flight from DC to Korea, a 4 hour layover there, and then another 4 or so hours from Korea to Manila. Took me an entire day of travel to get there, and I honestly didn't get completely used to the jet lag/time change the entire 2+ weeks.

Please do share more pics when you can!!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • charley95
    scubalab wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I think we found Evil Kenevil of the water variety. :D

It was amazing the lack of training/preparation/advice they gave us in the Bahamas when we rented that whaler for the week. And we're by no means 'experienced' boaters!! Heck, we've rented little ski boats and pontoons in PA state parks and had to go through about an hour of safety training, and operating instruction.

Charley - feel free to PM me and we can chat.

I just realized that I TOTALLY hijacked the thread here - Terribly sorry Todd... :(

So, in order to get it back on track, we want to hear more about FIJI!! So, Todd, when you get home and recover from the jetlag, let's see some more pics from the South Pacific!!! Anxiously awaiting!

Thanks! I'll give ya a shout out when the time comes.