New AVR - WOW it's easy to setup now.

Options
My 10 year old Denon died. No HDMI output. Decided to get a new one.

One thing that pissed me off during the search is that you just can't get a cheap AVR if you need pre outs. You have to go high. Some brands you need to go VERY high.

Anyway, the purpose of his thread is just to comment how easy it is these days to setup an AVR. In my old Denon I literally feared the moment I had to change a source. You had to go through two years of training.....just to understand the remote.
The new one? Plug in a monitor, turn it on, and you have step by step on screen directions, You don't even need to turn it off for connections. Plug your front right speaker, plug your front left speaker........ plug your inputs....

Amazing how easy they have made it.

That is all.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
SOPA
Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited June 2017
    Options
    +1, the GUI and setup with my Denon 3312 is much more user-friendly than the 2106 it replaced. And you're right, it seems most AVRs costing less than $600 don't have preouts.
    In fact a lot of BB/Magnolia staff don't even know what preouts are... LOL

What did you end up with?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    And you're right, it seems most AVRs costing less than $600 don't have preouts.
    In fact a lot of BB/Magnolia staff don't even know what preouts are... LOL
    This is funny. I remember an installer friend scoffing at me when I tentatively mentioned that I thought I needed an amp for the RTi10s I had back when I was starting out in early 2014.

Of course, he's also the one who sold me an entry level Pioneer receiver - without preouts :) Never one for passing up bargains, even if he didn't need the thing, he'd been recommending RTi12s - to run with that 20lb. false 80wpc AVR. Luckily I missed that deal.

It's a real shame you have to step up to higher end AVRs just for preouts. This is probably what got me looking at separates in the first place.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Denon AVR-X3300W. Went down from 130 W to 105 W, but now I have my fronts with an external amp. No complaints on sound. Actually, for the first time I got a really good calibration, including LFE. Well done Audyssey.

I looked at Pioneer. Their $1K AVR does not have pre-outs :o

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman