Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 x 200 or Parasound 5250 v2 for HT

sgmsmg
sgmsmg Posts: 542
Has anyone had any experience with one or both of these amps? I am considering retiring my Pioneer Elite SC-09TX that I have been using as an amp to drive my Polk LSim 703 x4 / 706c HT setup. Some options I was considering are the Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 x 200 or Parasound 5250 v2. Room is about 16' x20'. These would be used primarily for home theater/ casual listening.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
2 Channel
Pre:Bryston BP173
Amp:Bryston 14B3
Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
Display: Sony XBR85Z9G

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Either one is a good choice, flip a coin. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Personally, it would depend on the age of either.

If approximately the same age, the Sunfire.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    the 5/200 Sunfire does not sound very good to my ears. Parasound would be my choice, unless you get the Sunfire 7/400 or 5/400
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited June 2017
    I looked at both of them and didn't think either was any kind of upgrade over what you already have with the SC-09TX. I think you might be disappointed.

I have the same high-end AVR and am looking for something that will make a noticeable improvement.

Here are the advertised specs for each:

Parasound 5250 5-Channel Power Amplifier Specifications
    Specifications
    Rated max power: 250 watts x 5 (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz)
    Max THD: 0.025%
    Original Mfg. Suggested Retail Price: $2,500

Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 x 200
    Specifications
    Rated max power: 200 watts x 5 (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz)
    Max THD: 0.5%
    Original Mfg. Suggested Retail Price: $2,375

Pioneer Elite SC-09TX
    Specifications
    Rated max power: 140 watts x 10 (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz)
    Max THD: 0.05%

200 watts x 7 (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz)

(When Set to 5.1 Bi-Amp Mode): 280 watts x 5 (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz)

Original Mfg. Suggested Retail Price: $7,000

If I had to go with either of the two amplifiers I'd probably lean towards the Parasound but I don't see it as being any kind of major upgrade over what you already have now.

I'm looking for one with at least more power and similar specs, not one with less power and similar (or worse) specs.

I do realize that there is more to it than just advertised specs but they are a benchmark that can help point in the right direction.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    The 5250 v2 official specs seem quite conservative. I have one driving LSiM 707s and 703s and it sounds sweet indeed.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I think they are very similar. The tie-breaker for me would be:
    1) The Sunfire never so much as warm, whereas the Parasound can get pretty warm, especially if not well ventilated.
    2) The Sunfire's meters make it look cooler.

While your Pioneer is a beast, I can't imagine either of these amps not being an upgrade. How significant??? That's going to be a matter of opinion.

I'll say this, at one time I was running a very good Pioneer (sorry, don't remember the model number). I was really wanting to take my amp out of the system (I believe I had a NAD at the time). While the difference in sound wasn't what most people would probably call significant, it was enough that I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the amp. YMMV.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • sgmsmg
    edited June 2017
    Thanks to all that have responded. Lots of good information and your help is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately it looks like the Sunfire sold so that isn't an option.

I also just made another major purchase (Sony XBR75X940D) so the amp might have to wait. Couldn't pass up on the deal for the TV. Also had to get an Oppo205.

Overall I am content with the SC-09TX but it takes up a much larger amount of space so swapping to one of the other amps would give me a little more room. There is also still a small demand for the SC-09TX so I could potentially sell it after I replace it to get something out of it.

Like someone mentioned the Sunfire does not produce much heat so that was definitely appealing.

I will wait and see if I can get a deal on the Parasound but if not I will hold off until another deal comes around.

Thanks again to everyone. I really appreciate all the feedback.
    2 Channel
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI

Home Theater
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
  • sgmsmg
    edited June 2017
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nice TV! I've got the previous year's model and love it.

Thanks. I saw you had the 940C and another member on here has the 940D. It is a bit different from my plasma but so far I like it. The new Planet Earth 2 Series in 4K is pretty awesome. I am sure I need to do some tweaking and may eventually get it calibrated.
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • sgmsmg
    Yes, I had given up on getting one but stopped by a local chain here "Video Only" and they one that a customer ordered but then decided it was too big for their room. It was a case of right time right place.
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • Gatecrasher
    One amplifier I would check out is the Marantz PM-10.

Then you'd you'd probably actually be upgrading a bit sound-wise from the SC-09TX.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have the Sunfire TGA-5400. One point not mentioned here is that it will output 400w/CH on all 5 channels at 8 ohms, and 800W/CH on all 5 channels at 4 ohms. No receiver will come any where close to those specs. I assume the Sunfire amp you are looking at will do the same, at least the TGA-5200 will.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited June 2017
    Sunfire should be 225X5 @ 8 ohm and 450x5 @ 4ohm from my way back machine. Agree very few receivers can come remotely close.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Sunfire should be 225X5 @ 8 ohm and 450x5 @ 4ohm from my way back machine. Agree very few receivers can come remotely close.

The SC-09TX AVR has superior specs to the Sunfire in both power and THD.

That Marantz PM-10 is on another level though.

As expected, It also costs almost three times as much too.
  • pitdogg2
    edited June 2017
    Your right yours is bigger and the best

Notice i said very few..
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415

A dedicated amplifier will always be better than a receiver.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    Your right yours is bigger and the best

Notice i said very few..

I wasn't bragging. It's the model the OP of this thread has and was considering replacing with the Sunfire. IMO I don't think he would be upgrading by going to the Sunfire. Not that the Sunfire isn't a nice amplifier or anything. They are very-nice and built well too. They just aren't any better performance-wise to the high-end AVR the OP has.

If it's purely a size issue than maybe he might prefer the Sunfire.
  • pitdogg2
    Yes well aware i read your post and his. My comment was geared toward bluefox.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    cfrizz wrote: »

A dedicated amplifier will always be better than a receiver.

That's a fallacy. Generally-speaking that has been the case but not 100% true. A high-end AVR can have better specs than a lower-end amplifier. The SC-09TX outperforms a lot of less-expensive separates.
  • BlueFox

Not to get into an argument over specs, but as an engineer I deal in facts. If pitdogg's specs are correct then the Pioneer does not even come close to the Sunfire.

h6ibu22ldyze.png

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-09TX_OperatingInstructions0623.pdf#page155

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    BlueFox wrote: »

Not to get into an argument over specs, but as an engineer I deal in facts. If pitdogg's specs are correct then the Pioneer does not even come close to the Sunfire.

I didn't see pitdogg's specs but I posted them direct from each manufacturer.

Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 x 200
    Specifications
    Rated max power: 200 watts x 5 (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz)
    Max THD: 0.5%
    Original Mfg. Suggested Retail Price: $2,375

Pioneer Elite SC-09TX
    Specifications
    Rated max power: 200 watts x 7 (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz)
    Original Mfg. Suggested Retail Price: $7,000

BTW, I'm only trying to deal with facts too.

The SC-09TX puts out a total of 1400 watts in various configurations. In 10.2 mode it is 140 watts per channel and in 7.1 mode it is 200 watts per channel.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    Here's one that at least on paper looks like it would outperform the SC-09TX (and I bet it sounds great).

It's only two channel though

The Marantz PM-10

Specifications
    Rated max power: 200 watts x 2 (8 ohms, 20Hz–20kHz)
    Max THD: 0.005%
    Original Mfg. Suggested Retail Price: $7,999

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=ReferenceSeries&SubCatId=0&ProductId=PM10

Generally speaking, expect to spend more than $2,375 to find an amplifier with better specs than the SC-09TX. It didn't cost 7 grand for nothing. The Parasound is $2,500 and it has a better THD spec than both the Sunfire or the Pioneer so it looks like it might be pretty-good.

Before I got my SC-09TX I had a decent NAD amplifier and separates and the Pioneer blew them away so you can't really make the statement that "A dedicated amp will always be better than a receiver." There are exceptions to that rule.
  • sgmsmg
    This is all very good information. I missed the opportunity on the Sunfire so we will see if I snag the Parasound or not. If not I am content with the Pioneer it just takes up too much space that I could use to add other components. One day I would like to have a setup with all separates like DarqueKnight has.

Again I really appreciate all the info that has been contributed. Thanks!
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Said it once and will do so again. Take it from a guy that has owned Sunfire amps, the 200x5 is NOT that great of an amp. The Signature series 400x5 and the TGA 5400/7400 are night and day better. I would take one of these over the Parasound, but the Parasound all day long over the 200x5 Sunfire.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • sgmsmg
    Said it once and will do so again. Take it from a guy that has owned Sunfire amps, the 200x5 is NOT that great of an amp. The Signature series 400x5 and the TGA 5400/7400 are night and day better. I would take one of these over the Parasound, but the Parasound all day long over the 200x5 Sunfire.

Good to know. I will add the Signature series 400x5 and the TGA 5400/7400 to my list of potential canidates. Thanks!
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    B&K 200.5 is a good used amp known for being musical, smooth on top, and warm.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017

The specs on the Sunfire 200x5 aren't that impressive. I don't know what BlueFox was looking at when he made the statement that the Pioneer SC-09TX doesn't even come close to the Sunfire 200x5 because the SC-09TX has better specs.

The Parasound has a better THD spec than the SC-09TX though. Still it's not light years better. That Marantz has significantly better specs as I'm sure many other higher-end $ amps do.

Macintosh amps are very impressive if you can afford them.

• BlueFox
    edited June 2017

I don't know what BlueFox was looking at when he made the statement that the Pioneer SC-09TX doesn't even come close to the Sunfire 200x5 because the SC-09TX has better specs.

Can't you read? I used the Pioneer specs straight from the manual. The Sunfire will do 200, or 225 per pittdog, watts per channel at 8 ohms, and double into 4 ohms.

You listed a spec regarding the Pioneer with 5 channels, but provided no reference for that spec. So, at this point, your spec is a made up spec, at least until you provide a link to prove your spec. Even then, that only makes the Pioneer equal to the Sunfire. However, the Pioneer 4 ohm spec is only rated at 1 KHz, and that is only for 2 channels, not all 5 channels.

Once again, here's are the Pioneer specs. If there is something wrong you need to contact Pioneer, not me.

biw2uop8o5oa.jpeg

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Gatecrasher
    I really don't understand where you are coming from on this?

The specs you are showing clearly show that the Pioneer SC-09TX has better specs than the Sunfire 200x5.

How can you make the statement:

"Not to get into an argument over specs, but as an engineer I deal in facts. If pitdogg's specs are correct then the Pioneer does not even come close to the Sunfire."

The Pioneer is more powerful and has far lower THD spec.

The Pioneer has 1400 watts. That's 200 watts per channel in 7.1 mode.

Look at the THD. The Sunfire is 0.5% and the Pioneer is a lot better at 0.05%.

I'm trying to be objective in this discussion even though I own a SC-09TX AVR too. I'm looking for some additional amplification down the road but want something that is really going to be an upgrade and will be worth the significant investment.

That's the only reason I even chimed in on this discussion. It's something I've been considering too like the OP, but for different reasons. I don't have an issue with the large size and weight of the SC-09TX.
  • BlueFox
    LOL. As I said, I am not going to argue over amp specs. If you do not understand electronics I can't help that.

Three 20 amp circuits.