Wear earplugs to rock concerts at age ___ ?

Derf
Derf Posts: 229
Last night my daughter and I saw Paramore in concert in Dublin, Ireland, and we will go to another show in London in a few days. My hearing is just now starting to come back, almost 24 hours later. I decided I'm going to wear earplugs for the London show. My 53 year old ears can't handle what they used to, and I want to continue to enjoy MY music for many years to come. Daughter is 14, she was able to hear fine almost immediately afterward. Those of you that still go to rock concerts--do you wear earplugs? Or something else?
Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
Speakers: Usher MD2
Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
DAC: North Star Design Supremo
Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit

Comments

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited June 2017
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I can't remember whether I wore earplugs at the last three shows I saw. Never mind the hearing - I guess that's making a statement of another sort.

I think I would get some of those gross, creepy looking fleshy colored ones to have with me to wear just in case. Anytime I'm in a venue with concrete floors and a lot of reflective surfaces, I'll carry a wad of tp with me just in case. For my ears.
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2017
    I never use protection of any kind. I am using it all up before my number gets punched.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Derf
    I never use protection of any kind.
    Three days later . . . go see the doctor.

• factorz
    factorz Posts: 353
    All the time and for me it really didn't take anything away. Plus no ringing the next day!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    I never used to but now every one. May take them out for a few songs but I'd like to hear as ling as i can the best i can. One of these days that ringing will not go away.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    I get my hearing tested once a year at work. I never had any problem until a few years ago I started to get some higher frequency loss so I became more conscious of protecting my hearing.

Things that really take a toll on hearing are:
    • Working in loud areas with no hearing protection
    • Listening to loud music for long periods of time
    • Shooting guns without hearing protection

I don't go to as many concerts as I used to but I have never worn hearing protection at any of them. I never really had much problem afterwards (at least none I could notice).

I am occasionally exposed to loud noise at work and always wear ear plugs. It's mandatory anyway (and for good reason).

Last but not least, I always wear hearing protection while shooting. I have paid for it dearly the few times I haven't.

Once you lose it, it's gone forever so protect it as much as possible.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Nope, there have been times I wish I had though.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Start using them now. I started wearing hearing protection 30 years ago when I started working on offshore oil platforms. I'm now 60 years old and still have very good hearing.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Get musicians ear plugs, they're way better than stuffing your ears with a material that only blocks.

Like this, there's more though do some research.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019M576XW/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1497676829&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=musician+earplugs&dpPl=1&dpID=51ztL6Xe-WL&ref=plSrch
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Best earplugs I've ever had: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/er20.html

Yes, I've been wearing them to concerts for years. Don't like the constant eeeee noise I get without them.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • msg
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Get musicians ear plugs, they're way better than stuffing your ears with a material that only blocks.
    How long do these take to break-in before they sound their best?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    msg wrote: »
    How long do these take to break-in before they sound their best?

Five Diana Krall concerts or one Cannibal Corpse concert. >:)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Yes, wear them. I have been diagnosed with Tinnitus - constant ringing. I have some hearing loss.

The ringing started after I attended a John Forgerty concert. My seats were close to the stage and the big speakers.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • msg
    Dag man,im sorry to hear that. That is terribly unfortunate.

I had a boss once who went shooting with his SILs, and didn't wear hearing protection. Ended up with permanent damage that even hearing aids only partially helped.

Also have a friend who suffered complete deafness in one ear after a travel illness. He lives in Austin, and was big into music, but his hearing loss was so upsetting, understandably, that it put him off listening altogether. I think he slowly got back into it a bit, but obviously, it's not the same.

I know this question is about earplugs for concerts, but I expand hearing protection to other areas too. I wear earplugs when mowing the lawn or riding a motorcycle, and muffs when running power tools or shopvac indoors for extended periods. When I was a kid, I used to wear Walkman headphones when cutting the grass, but that was probably worse because I was nearly maxing out the volume to make it listenable.

Always eye protection and dust mask where warranted.

After suffering a few minimal injuries along these lines, I set these rules for myself. Still catch myself sometimes saying, "I'll just do this real quick and it'll be okay." but then I stop myself and get the protection stuff on.
    I disabled signatures.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    halo wrote: »
    Best earplugs I've ever had: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/er20.html

Yes, I've been wearing them to concerts for years. Don't like the constant eeeee noise I get without them.

These are the ones I use as well. Been wearing hearing protection to concerts since my early 30s. Almost 46 now and think my hearing is pretty good.
  • Derf
    Get musicians ear plugs . . .
    halo wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, gents. I had no idea these were even available. I'll get a set and put them to use.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Msg, I never thought about wearing them when cutting grass and using other power equipment. I always wear a mask and eye protection. I'll start this week.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I DJ and run karaoke shows. Years ago I went to an audiologist and had a custom set of molded earplugs made. They have a filter and that filter can be changed. -5,10,15,20 db so I can hear everything everyone else hears but 15 db less. I do bring them to louder concerts.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    What did those set you back Brian
  • msg
    edited June 2017
    BBM - I just use the tapered 3M ones from Home Depot or those yellow ones from EAR available on Amazon. I like the tapered ones best, and I find there's a trick for insertion. You might have best results with some version of this:
    1. Roll the foamie good and thin
    2. Reach over your head with opposite hand and pull your outer ear sort of up/out slightly. The idea here is to straighten the path to the ear canal.
    3. Insert earplug
    4. Release ear
    5. Hold earplug in place until it expands.
    6. You can adjust the depth for comfort and desired level of noise reduction
    Some people wet them, but I think that removes whatever it is that keeps them grippy and slow to expand.

Foamies obviously aren't going to offer as refined an experience as some of the technology referenced here, but for general hearing protection, better than nothing. If I were a regular concert goer or musician, I'd definitely look into something like that, just like a piece of gear, really.

(*Edited for my phone thinking it's smarter than I)
    I disabled signatures.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    I guarantee I lost some hearing at the Tool concert. For protection, I'll be digging out my Surefire earplugs as they have the ability to let more/less sound through in that filter plug.

I'll be taking plugs with me to all shows going forward, as the few days immediately after Tool were downright unpleasant. I think usage depends on seating and where the speakers are.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • msg
    I first saw this as "digging out my Splitfire Spark Plugs"
    I thought, hmmt, unconventional, but inventive...
    jflail2 wrote: »
    I guarantee I lost some hearing at the Tool concert. For protection, I'll be digging out my Surefire earplugs as they have the ability to let more/less sound through in that filter plug.
    I disabled signatures.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    What did those set you back Brian
    They were $180 like 10 years ago.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2017
    I did suffer temporary hearing loss at an outside concert were Nugent was in the lineup. We were just several feet from the stage and the bass was so loud you could feel it vibrate every fiber of your being. It felt hot as if your molecules were rubbing together causing friction. Not to mention the fact I was paling around with Mr. Natural that day, else I would have never been that close. Ted was definitely in the late seventies bad for your ears.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    edited June 2017
    I did suffer temporary hearing loss at an outside concert were Nugent was in the lineup. We were just several feet from the stage and the bass was so loud you could feel it vibrate every fiber of your being. It felt hot as if your molecules were rubbing together causing friction. Not to mention the fact I was paling around with Mr. Natural that day, else I would have never been that close. Ted was definitely in the late seventies bad for your ears.

Ted definitly puts one some of the loudest shows. Saw him several times but the loudest was at the Paramount Theater in Seattle. I was close enough to catch a drumstick. Ears rang for days.
    Post edited by ken brydson on
  • Derf
    Ted was definitely in the late seventies bad for your ears.
    Nugent was the first concert I ever attended, in Charlotte back in 1980. Good times.

I used the squishy foam earplugs at last night's concert, and my hearing was perfect immediately afterward. I ordered some of the musician plugs to use at concerts coming up the next few months, as the foam plugs do block higher range detail.
  • msg
    Mr. Natural Light?
    Not to mention the fact I was paling around with Mr. Natural that day, else I would have never been that close. Ted was definitely in the late seventies bad for your ears.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    msg wrote: »
    Mr. Natural Light?
    Not to mention the fact I was paling around with Mr. Natural that day, else I would have never been that close. Ted was definitely in the late seventies bad for your ears.

ummm NO not even close.