Need help

Willow
Willow Posts: 10,862
Been listening to records and when I turn it up I get reverberation kind of like driving with only one rear window open. Nasty! What can I do?

Thanks guys. I'm assuming I have to isolate the tt

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    As described, sounds like acoustic feedback.

You can try this -- with the platter stopped, lower the stylus onto a record on the tt at zero or low volume. Slowly turn the volume up and see if it starts to "rumble' (so to speak). If so, that's definitely acoustic feedback. If not -- it still might well be.

Problem could be "just" isolation, but it may well be exacerbated by arm mass/cartridge compliance mismatch.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Good isolation platform/feet can help with that also.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Willow
    I'll have to look into it. Thanks guys. I'll look into some feet to start.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    My TT did that when I had it my Bell'O A/V rack with other components.

Once I used a dedicated stand it went away.

Also, what you're hearing could also be from the lid (if you have one) if it's closed while listening, or even open..most are removable.
  • Willow
    gmcman wrote: »
    My TT did that when I had it my Bell'O A/V rack with other components.

Once I used a dedicated stand it went away.

Also, what you're hearing could also be from the lid (if you have one) if it's closed while listening, or even open..most are removable.

Thanks I'll also try the lid
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2017
    The lid (dustcover) is a good suggestion -- they can do (much) more harm than good. This might well be why many, many of the better turntables don't include one, and don't even have provision for one. EDIT There's even a cottage industry of aftermarket dust covers for tts that don't offer them and don't lend themselves easily to a 1970s style dust cover!

Want to keep dust off your tt when it isn't in use? Throw a lightweight but tight-weave piece of cloth over it. Or fabricate (or buy) a nice one made of acrylic or polycarbonate. Or even use a cardboard box :)

https://youtu.be/Hsls5ZPCUnE

http://coloradoplastics.com/polycarbonate-lexan-vs-acrylic-lucite/
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    lightweight being the operative descriptor here.
    I broadcast a painters canvas once - once - and snapped the tonearm.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Want to keep dust off your tt when it isn't in use? Throw a lightweight but tight-weave piece of cloth over it. Or fabricate (or buy) a nice one made of acrylic or polycarbonate. Or even use a cardboard box :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Willow
    msg wrote: »
    lightweight being the operative descriptor here.
    I broadcast a painters canvas once - once - and snapped the tonearm.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Ouch!