Do I hear laughter?

Coming across the river from NJ.

It must be Sal, now that the Garden State raised the state sales tax on gasoline yesterday.
At least they still pump it for you... :o
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• does anybody remember laughter?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    does anybody remember laughter?

heh, beat me to it.

I am surprised (and sorry) to see NJ gas prices skyrocket. We always stopped at "The Vince" on the parkway on our way to and from New England from MD for cheap gas and a bio-break. No more, I guess.

When we lived in Northern California (1989-91) gas there was cheap (and even cheaper in Southern CA). Hard to believe/imagine when one looks at gas prices there today.

Gas in NH ain't (generally) terribly pricey -- I guess that's why the industry keeps arrangin' little "accidents" to the pipelines to make sure the prices go up.

:(

I was thinkin' about addin' some sails to the RAV4. We coud put a hinge on the mast for low bridges, sort of like the boats on the Nile.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    What's the damage on a gallon of gas in the jersey state? Here in Southeast Michigan, best price I can find $1.94 / gal
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637
    GlennDog wrote: »
    What's the damage on a gallon of gas in the jersey state? Here in Southeast Michigan, best price I can find $1.94 / gal

Man I wish. We're pushing $2.70 here in WA.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2016
    Well, how else do you make up for short falls caused the big tax breaks given to the elite? Why you make the middle class take up the slack.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2016
    $2.11 for low octane in Colorado. $15 fills my car from near empty.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Just remember...you can't spell manslaughter without the laughter.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2016
    Sorry to hear that. Those prices were super cheap when I went down to Jstas's in mid-September, darn cheap! But real estate taxes in the garden state are something else, rates that would attract our N.H. retirees, and most of our Floridians, no! lol
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,699
    It's not because of big tax breaks for the elite, it's because our corrupt Democrat dominated legislature couldn't manage money to save their lives. And don't try and argue with me. I've lived here all my life, I am WAY better versed on NJ politics and what goes on here than the vast majority of you.

Gas up the street from me went from $1.89 to $2.16 a gallon overnight. That's about 4 cents over the tax rate increase of 23 cents.

The regular stuff doesn't seem that high. The 93 octane I need for my truck was 2.48 a gallon on the cash price. Now, it's 2.93 a gallon.

It's going up everywhere again because of that pipe explosion in Alabama, though.

And mhardy, if you were filling up an interstate rest stop then you were not getting a huge break on gas prices. NJ still levied it's taxes per gallon but the are a number of other costs from the fed level in regards to interstate rest stop gas prices.

Also, Sal can laugh all he wants but there is a proposal to levy a usage tax on all electric vehicles via the yearly registration so they can get road use revenue from those folks too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    Jstas wrote: »
    Also, Sal can laugh all he wants but there is a proposal to levy a usage tax on all electric vehicles via the yearly registration so they can get road use revenue from those folks too.

Of course they will. After giving all those tax breaks and incentives to buy one they ARE going to get that money back and then some. They still use the same roads so they should pay the same as all the gas cars.

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I give up. I'm going to use my Bicycle from now on. They ain't figured out a way to tax that... yet lol....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited November 2016
    Illinois has a crap-ton of taxes added to gasoline. I think were are 2nd only to Cali, but NJ might give us a run for the 2nd place spot.

Our roads and infrastructure are still s-h-I-t and that's where that money is supposed to go. They wanted to increase it even more, but it didn't pass.

I filled up with premium from BP for $2.59 but they are always the cheapest. Most get $2.89 for premium here in Rockford.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    GlennDog wrote: »

I shoulda been more specific, that was for regular.
    When I have to gas up my Harley with premium, it's a buck more
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited November 2016
    Regular in the vicinity of Manchester ("ManchVegas") NH is about $2.11 (and 9/10ths) per gallon. At least, that's what it was last night when I filled up :)

For whatever reason, gas in the Manchester/Concord vicinity is about the cheapest in the state. It runs about a nickle more out here in the sticks (and it fluctuates quite a bit).

The prices at stations along the freeway(s) tend to bounce up on weekends to soak the southern New Englanders, New Yawkahs, and Connecticuttians who come up, summer and winter, to see what the earth can look like when it hasn't been leveled, paved, and concreted :)

I reckon the prices'll be up 25 to 40 cents due to the pipeline mishap soon, though.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    So ... I dunno .... drive around the block for 5.6 miles per day, year round, to get better tax/mile results ?
    I guess I don't see what the problem is.
    Maybe a tax subsidy would help ?
    Sal Palooza
  • pitdogg2
    Still using fossil fuel to make that electricity.....just saying
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Just so you are aware. If you register your EV in NJ under a business like I have then starting in Jan 2014 you have to pay Road tax. $147 a year. Comes out to paying an equivalent of 15,000 miles of road tax. The unfortunate part is that I only drive 13K a year. So i actually pay more Road tax than a Gas Car that drives 13K miles a year.
    Jstas wrote: »

How about non business owners, do they still pay the road tax upfront ? How about the added costs to electricity. Ever look at your home electric bill and see all those added charges. Why are those not added to charging stations ? Or is it ? I don't know, just askin'. Maybe it's price is all inclusive ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Agreed...and where are all the spent batteries going to end up?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    kharp1 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Agreed...and where are all the spent batteries going to end up?

Like an ostrich, they bury their head in the sand and pretend reality isn't about to eat them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    Well, that settles it for me...because a CEO said it I'll believe it. It has to be true!
  • tonyb
    I believe the batteries recycling to be valid. So are mufflers and gas tanks, you see anyone hauling those down to the local recycling center ?

Part of the reason used values on these things are so low, is because the batteries are expensive to replace. A 7 year old chevy economy car, electric, is worth probably less than the cost of the batteries. Junk yards may recycle the batteries though, along with the rest of the car.

A typical economy car from Honda or Toyota can last 20 years or more if taken proper care of. Keeps the cars out of the junk yard.

Battery technology is getting better though. I'm sure Sal will attest to that. Though if I'm finding myself having to sit in traffic for 3-6 hours a day, I might re-access where I live rather than the car I drive.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    For the record most every battery made is made from 80-90% recycled matter. One of the reasons vehicle batteries do not last as well as they did 30yrs ago when they were 50% recycled matter.

Sal's batteries are a whole different story. Electric vehicle's come and go have for 40 yrs.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    That's why I wished the "charge" stations that changed the entire battery had caught on. No need to worry about bad batteries since you get a different battery pack at the charging station. A robot swaps the entire pack and stores fresh charged battery packs. If a battery pack is "bad" it simply puts that aside to be discarded. The cost of replacing batteries could be amortized on the price of the battery change.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    When that CEO takes a company that everyone said will fail but now 8 years later is worth more than GM and BMW and very close to beating Honda then you better listen when he says something.
    Well, that settles it for me...because a CEO said it I'll believe it. It has to be true!

You mean Ford. Honda still has a considerably higher net worth than Any of the American manufacturers.

But the problem is, Tesla Motors' net worth is being fudged quite liberally. Because Elon's accounting team is rolling his personal net worth into that number as well. It is still impressive but not as impressive as it is being made out to be.

As a related side note, the batteries may be recyclable but the initial construction of those batteries requires as much, if not more rapi ng of mother Earth than fossil fuels.
    All you need to do is look at graphite mines, lithium salt mines, manganese mines (the cathode in the battery of your Leaf), cobalt mines (can you say more child labor by percent than China as a whole?)...heck, the nickel and aluminum mines used in the other various cathode constructions is monumentally clean by comparison.

EVs are the future...I won't deny it. But let's stop trying to pretend that it is the "cleaner" option, shall we?

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    When that CEO takes a company that everyone said will fail but now 8 years later is worth more than GM and BMW and very close to beating Honda then you better listen when he says something.

Elon said himself his company is highly over valued and he can't figure out what the market is doing valuing it so highly. On tech like this I'm in the wait and see camp.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't our government offer a little bit of financial assistance to Tesla Motors ? Besides subsidies to buy their cars, I mean.
    Sal Palooza
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2017
    ^^in 2014 63 billion dollars worth of sudsidies were given out to fortune 500 companies alone. So don't pick on just Tesla. Now it is 2017 so due the math. This info provided by Forbes.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• motorhead43026
    Oh, and these subsidies we're mostly in the form of tax breaks.

• tonyb
    ^^in 2014 63 billion dollars worth of sudsidies were given out to fortune 500 companies alone. So don't pick on just Tesla. Now it is 2017 so due the math. This info provided by Forbes.

Good point Motor, we may be on the same page about subsidies. One also has to ask how much of those gets put back into the coffers of politicians in the way of donations. Basically stealing public funds for their own use. We used to call that "laundering" money, an illegal activity, but because guys in suits do it today it's acceptable.

Musk didn't need subsidies, like giving public funds to Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.

IMHO, if your going to subsidize anything with public funds, do it to help the common folks , you know, the general public. Elderly, handicapped, vets,....job training. People wouldn't mind so much if they knew public funds were going to actually help people, not individuals already loaded with coin....who make products for the well to do on top of it.

Subsidize the small farmer, since everyone is crying about the quality of food, or lack there of and it's availability to city folks. Not the giants like Monsanto.

Common sense stuff to me, not so common once the public funds hit Washington.

Capitalism, is not intended to create jobs, that's just the side benefit. Capitalism by design is meant to create wealth. The more people who partake in it's process, the less poor you have, the less welfare you have, the more money you have to spend, not borrow to spend.

Guys like Musk have already reaped the benefits of Capitalism, using public funds to enhance that further is simply insane to me. I'm not just picking on Musk either, Oil companies, G.E., the list is endless. We give them public funds and what do we get in return ? Reduced benefits, kicked out in favor of cheaper foreign workers ? Sound like a fair trade ?

I'm not a fan of subsidies, if you can't tell yet. Not a fan of using them to socially engineer society. Just my perspective....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    I dunno. There's nothing like a nice exhaust rumble. I don't think I'll ever move to electric.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman