It Looks Like This Year Will Be a Bumper Crop

I fired-up the grill tonight and threw a couple extra-thick NY Strips on. Needless to say, they were awesome but the thing that has me the most surprised this year is how good the corn has been.

We can usually get some half-decent sweet corn on the cob this early but this year it has been exceptional for the past three weeks now! It's like the stuff we usually get around August.

I don't think I've ever had it this good, this early in the year. The price fluctuates some though. One day it will be 6 ears for $2.49 and the next day it will be 10 ears for $2.00 but it has all been unbelievably good.

I have no idea where the corn is coming from though. Is everyone else experiencing the same thing?

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Yep! I've got no idea where it's coming from to us here, but I've noticed it's unusually good for not being in season locally yet.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited June 2017
    Yeah it's weird because in the past we have gotten some really nice-looking corn this early but once it comes time to eat it there would usually be a bit of a letdown. This is living in various parts of the country too.

Not this year. The corn not only looks superb, the taste is unbelievable. I usually only have one ear but with this stuff I always have two.

It started about three weeks ago. I was shocked at how good it was the first time I got it this year and figured it was a fluke but it has been awesome ever since.

I'm going to go buy some more tomorrow for the weekend.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2017
    Everything is early this year. Heck we had June bugs in April. Lighting bugs are already appearing. I am sure we will have early corn here as well. I live in Ohio and corn is one thing we have a lot of....lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Gatecrasher
    I think there's been about a perfect level of precipitation this year for agriculture. Even California got a lot more rain than they were supposed to so I wouldn't be surprised if everything is above average this year.

Can't wait to start getting those Jersey tomatoes!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited June 2017
    Everything is early this year. Heck we had June bugs in April. Lighting bugs are already appearing. I am sure we will have early corn here as well. I live in Ohio and corn is one thing we have a lot of....lol.

Agree on them there bugs but our corn here in Illinois is not worth a crap yet can't believe the brown dead Shiite they're trying to pass off as corn
  • Gatecrasher
    Wow that's surprising because Illinois usually has some of the best corn in the country. I think the best sweet corn I ever had came from Illinois but it isn't harvest time there yet. The "Illini Sweet" is a famous hybrid created at the University of Illinois. The stuff is like candy.

What part of IL are you in?

I just talked to my parents the other day who live across the river from St. Louis and my Mother said they are starting to get some pretty-good stuff there.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Central Illinois
    Best i ever planted was called candy corn. It is several weeks out on the farm. We have been real dry so for.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I fired-up the grill tonight and threw a couple extra-thick NY Strips on. Needless to say, they were awesome but the thing that has me the most surprised this year is how good the corn has been.

We can usually get some half-decent sweet corn on the cob this early but this year it has been exceptional for the past three weeks now! It's like the stuff we usually get around August.

I don't think I've ever had it this good, this early in the year. The price fluctuates some though. One day it will be 6 ears for $2.49 and the next day it will be 10 ears for $2.00 but it has all been unbelievably good.

I have no idea where the corn is coming from though. Is everyone else experiencing the same thing?

We usually have some pretty good corn grown around here, but I haven't seen anything local yet. Good, bad, or indifferent. Strange.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Gatecrasher
    I don't think the corn we are getting here is local. It's gotta be coming from the south somewhere.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    I had the sweetest ear I've had in a long time just this week. Funny you should notice the same thing. Not sure about origin either, but picked it up at Walmart.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098

Yea..and we have a bumper crop of something else too...water moccasins!...O yea..the corn is excellent too...noticed that also!...LOL!..
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    OOh love corn on the cob!
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Must be that Jimmie Crack Corn I've heard of in song. But, hey, I don't care. ;)
  • Gatecrasher
    Just bought a dozen ears for the weekend.

Check this stuff out. The best I have ever had this early in the year!

2ywtn9e.jpg
  • polrbehr
    Three words.
    G M O ;)

What I find ironic is that this year we weren't able to get Temple oranges here,
    I sense a conspiracy somewhere...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• Gatecrasher
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Three words.
    G M O ;)

What I find ironic is that this year we weren't able to get Temple oranges here,
    I sense a conspiracy somewhere...

The stand where I get this specifically states that the corn is not "GMO".

I read last year that less than 2% of the sweet corn sold in America was GMO. But you know what? If this stuff was GMO I'd still buy it because it is some of the tastiest sweet corn I have ever had. ;)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Reported! This thread offends me because I don't have my three lower incisor teeth! I can't eat corn on the cob so I feel that none of you should as well!!! :'(
  • Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    That wouldn't stop me. It's good when cut off the cob with a knife too!

This stuff is fresh and sweet!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Still reported out of exclusion from the full frontal set faction here.
    That wouldn't stop me. It's good when cut off the cob with a knife too!

This stuff is fresh and sweet!

• Gatecrasher
    Get some of those new bolt-on implants. You know, the kind they drill and tap into your jaw.

With a set of those bad boys you could probably do this:
    wtrj7eb6a7f1.jpg
  • polrbehr
    The stand where I get this specifically states that the corn is not "GMO".

I read last year that less than 2% of the sweet corn sold in America was GMO. But you know what? If this stuff was GMO I'd still buy it because it is some of the tastiest sweet corn I have ever had. ;)
    I am sure it's fine, I'm just PO'd that there isn't any to be had around here yet.
    We do have our strawberry festival this weekend, so I got that goin' for me.

• Gatecrasher
    edited June 2017
    Oh man, don't get me drooling over strawberries! When we were kids my Mom had a big strawberry patch in the backyard and we would have them all year round. She would freeze what we couldn't eat fresh.

There also was a big farm down the road where us kids could work in the summer picking strawberries. They paid by the quart. I spent a lot of backbreaking hours picking them.

But man I could sure go for some piled on Mom's homemade shortcake and some whipped cream on top right about now.

The fruits and veggies are some of the best things about summer.
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Life is good....
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Someone mention corn?2c6ba5ck2oig.jpg
    6r36qjievc7s.jpg
  • polrbehr
    http://mattituckstrawberryfestival.org/
    The fairgrounds are even named Strawberry Fields.

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    I thought I had posted this earlier, but for those growing their own corn and looking for a bumper crop, be sure to use a lot of fordilizer.

That never grows old B)
    Sal Palooza
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I got 3 words for you: Iowa Sweet Corn

We aren't called the "Corn State" for nothing (And even though the state of Illinois produces more seed/feed corn than Iowa).

Specifically any of the Peaches and Cream varieties of sweet corn. Grimes (a small town NW of Des Moines) produces some of the best in the state because of their proximity to Beaver Creek which regularly floods each spring and "freshens" the soil in the flood plain with nutrients.

Another great thing about Iowa sweet corn is that if you pay more than $2 a dozen, you're getting the shaft.

I've tried sweet corn from nearly every state and even though I am biased by my home state, you just can't find a sweeter more tender and juicy sweet corn variety than you can here.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    No doubt about it that Iowa Sweet corn is delicious, the best there is.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Late in the summer Olathe corn shows up around here..have no idea the origin of it,but it is very good..look for it every season..
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Olathe is a city in Kansas southwest of the metro Kansas City area.