BRING @F1nut's OLD AVATAR BACK!!!

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    @tonyb to answer a few of your statements.
    1. You don't get to decide what is offensive to someone else, that's not how it works. Just because the collective thinks an image or phrase isn't offensive does it make it so, I don't agree with that.
    2. It's only Ken and I here moderating the Forum. Vanilla is not involved in day to day operations, even in the slightest. Ken and I decide what is offensive and what should be taken down or changed. Disrespectful language towards another forum member, vulgar language, avatars or pictures that are not appropriate. It may seem snow-flakey or wishy-washy to you but I have not waivered or shown favorites to any members since I started moderating the Forum. Is that fair to say? I think I've stuck to a hard line.
    3. The picture you posted is a professional gymnast that we used at CES to promote the UltraFit headphones. She and the other gentlemen were jumping and flipping on the trampoline in the background. Who am I to tell a professional athlete how to do their job or what to wear to do their job.

To be fair here Ken, I never said "I" or the collective gets to decide what's tasteful or not. I simply questioned why for such a long period of time it was deemed ok, then a brick fell on someones head and it wasn't. Not like none of the moderators didn't know his avatar before, right ? Which tells me someone complained.

Nobody is asking for favors, just consistency.

Regarding the use of professional athletes, and the way they dress to do their job, cannot the same be said for actresses and models ? Especially those promoting audio gear ? Lost count of the speaker makers who use beautiful women in advertising with their speakers/gear. Obviously it has to be tasteful, but still. Pick up a trade magazine anywhere, anyone can see.

All in all, not a big deal, and we all certainly respect Polks right to set the standard for Avatars or whatever else pertains to their property. Like I said, consistency is key.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • When I say "I" that isn't directed to you Tony, that is a collective I. Wasn't calling you out for that.

It changed when I showed up essentially. When there was complaints about the Forum being a place where members were afraid to post, that's when it changed. I was not on the Forum before that point.

I did have people complain and I did state that. I am trying to be as transparent as I can be because I believe discussion solves problems more than just banning someone without explanation.

I'm being as consistent as I can be, everyone gets a fair shake.

I'm not arguing that point, companies since the beginning of time have used women to help sell product that is a fact. But the use of half naked women in Forum avatars is my point. We currently use both men and women on our website to advertise, mainly Bluetooth speakers and headphones. It does have to be tasteful, no mid-drifts or bikinis.

I agree Tony, I will be consistent here on the Forum for everyone. And yes, we do have the right to dictate the rules. It's everyone else's choice to follow those said rules.

I like working on you with stuff and I look forward to our continued work.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Let me see if I understand this. The photo with the half naked gymnast is ok because Polk used her at CES even though she has on less clothing than the one in Ron's avatar that you found offensive and made him remove?

Then we have this one.....wxuzmq37p5vb.jpg

So, because she isn't showing her tummy she is ok!?! Never mind the fact she defiled her body with those horrible tattoos, a reflection of low self-esteem. Meanwhile, women who are natural beauties without tattoos, wearing clothing that 99% of the public would not object to are somehow bad. Is that really the message Polk wants send to those impressionable customers?

You want to keep customers, fix the products page. In fact, scratch the current one and start again. Even more importantly, make products that are not plagued with problems because that issue is the major reason any business loses customers.

The priorities here are completely out of line.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Raquel had to put on a burka. Although she is still wearing her 60's era bikini underneath.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    Raquel had to put on a burka. Although she is still wearing her 60's era bikini underneath.

A perfect example of a natural beauty with class and integrity. Someone young girls could look up to and men respected.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Fair points Jesse.

1. A gymnast who is doing her job is OK. I believe that was pulled from a Youtube video in 2012 published by Newegg.com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRc9-Ci9Ao

2. This picture you shared here, is one I actually have not seen before. We have used her in other Polk Stock photos before. She is covered up, no mid-drift, no cleavage.

3. The tattoo comment is way out of line.

4. We are fixing product pages and we do make products that last a long time. Do some products fail? Absolutely. Every product in the history of man that any company has made has failed.

5. My priorities are to keep customers, help customers and inform customers. If by changing a few avatars it will keep more customers then that is what I'm going to do.

I'm not going to back down because a few people want to be bullies. That is what I'm trying to stop. I am the voice for those people.

@Rick88, I would appreciate it if you did not bring others into this discussion.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2017
    FWIW, I agree with f1nut's comments re: tattoos. I realize that they are fashionable (as were, at one time, leisure suits and platform shoes), but I find the idea of such deliberate body mutilation both unattractive and unfortunate. The aforementioned clothing and shoes are easy, safe, and inexpensive to get rid of when one outgrows one's infatuation with them -- tattoos are rather more of a challenge, risk, and expense to deal with when fashions change.

I think that Pete Townshend understood tattoos well even very (very) early in his career.

https://youtu.be/rI0cfzAF4as

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042

Actually, I have problems seeing including issues with retinopathy. So, his Avatar content was not obvious to me. When I read some of the comments, it made me curious. So I put the picture up in my photo program and then increased its size large enough to read it.

It is Polk's Forum and they have the right to set standards of decorum and proper behavior.

You sure went through a lot of work to find out you were offended.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    "Hate-avatars" will not be tolerated, mister. It's egg shells around here anymore, unless of course you do what you're told. Be careful about mysterious "interpretation" too...not sure how that works, but then nobody is.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited June 2017
    Nightfall wrote: »

Actually, I have problems seeing including issues with retinopathy. So, his Avatar content was not obvious to me. When I read some of the comments, it made me curious. So I put the picture up in my photo program and then increased its size large enough to read it.

It is Polk's Forum and they have the right to set standards of decorum and proper behavior.

You sure went through a lot of work to find out you were offended.

With a 1,000,000 candle power flash light.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • @nooshinjohn, my point is that Jesse cannot comment on her mental state because she has tattoos. It would be the same as judging a car someone drives, the clothes they own or how they listen to their speakers. Just because they do it their way doesn't make it wrong.

I wasn't saying his point was invalid.

This has gotten way off the rails.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    This has gotten way off the rails.
    Welcome to Club Polk... your journey has just begun. :open_mouth:

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Who do I talk to about that flag in Steve's avatar? I'm feeling queazy...... ;)
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    F1nut wrote: »
    You want to keep customers, fix the products page. In fact, scratch the current one and start again. Even more importantly, make products that are not plagued with problems because that issue is the major reason any business loses customers.

The priorities here are completely out of line.
    THIS ^^^
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • steveinaz
    Try hard enough, and anything has the potential to be offensive. OR, or....you could just get a life. Freedom won't work without tolerance. If people decide they just won't tolerate anything that makes them uncomfortable, then freedoms MUST be limited to appease the fragile. When we never allow our children to fail, they never learn HOW to cope with failure; so they grow up to become adults who try to ban failure, and lose alot of freedom in the process.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2017
    I always hated being the caboose.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • steveinaz
    Did you guys go "chooot, chooot"? I just did. Busted.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    edited June 2017
    steveinaz wrote: »
    When we never allow our children to fail, they never learn HOW to cope with failure; so they grow up to become adults who try to ban failure, and lose alot of freedom in the process.

Along those lines, I've seen several articles that claim we created the snowflake generation with anti-bullying efforts. We were taught "sticks and stones ..." Now they're taught to report it as bullying. WhIle anti-bullying is obviously a good thing, maybe we've taken a good thing too far.

P.S. chooot, chooot indeed!
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • @steveinaz, I understand your point. But for the purposes of the Forum, it is not a democracy. If there is something that we as a company don't agree with, it can be taken down. There are rules to follow and they are being enforced.

@la2vegas, poor choice of an analogy. That is not what we are trying to instill here. Remember to be respectful.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Try hard enough, and anything has the potential to be offensive. OR, or....you could just get a life. Freedom won't work without tolerance. If people decide they just won't tolerate anything that makes them uncomfortable, then freedoms MUST be limited to appease the fragile. When we never allow our children to fail, they never learn HOW to cope with failure; so they grow up to become adults who try to ban failure, and lose alot of freedom in the process.

Best post of the thread right there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited June 2017
    tonyb wrote: »

Best post of the thread right there.

Sure it has much to commend it as a life philosophy or political principle, but as the man has said over and again, this is a BUSINESS with one goal and a clear hierarchical structure. Lots of you work for corporations whose main goal is the almighty dolla, why is it so hard to grasp here lol...

The primary motivation here is not pleasing or placating anyone, it's selling more gear. Whatever is done in the forum is instrumental. The goal is $$$
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Sure it has much to commend it as a life philosophy or political principle, but as the man has said over and again, this is a BUSINESS with one goal and a clear hierarchical structure. Lots of you work for corporations whose main goal is the almighty dolla, why is it so hard to grasp here lol...

The primary motivation here is not pleasing or placating anyone, it's selling more gear. Whatever is done in the forum is instrumental. The goal is $$$

And while I completely agree with you here, that doesn't change the fact that there has indeed been placating to some. A small minority really, that have made the most noise. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I have found quite a few things on this forum offensive but I have generally taken logical approach to it. You can please some of the people all of the time and you can please all of the people some of the time but you will never be able to please all of the people all of the time.

Sure, I have bit back when pushed but never without it being warranted or blatantly obvious. Unfortunately, what is obvious to some is either ignored or overlooked by others.

But this is Polk's playground and if we can't accept the rules (no matter how obviously disproportionately applied) then we should find another playground.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut
    I'm offended.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm offended.

I'm horrified!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
This discussion has been closed.