PORSCHE MISSION E.. Sal The Leaf Blows in comparison...

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mission-e/international.aspx#/conclusion

Yes more expensive but what a hell of a car, and design..

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited September 2015
    The system voltage: 800V. Uncommon. 400V would be common. But what’s common about a Porsche? With Porsche Turbo Charging, loading with 800V at DC charging stations is considerably faster than usual – 80% of the maximum charge level in less than 15 minutes. In other words: in approximately 4 minutes loading time the range increases by about 100 km.

Now that is interesting.

Without cable, without plug, without “getting your hands dirty”. You comfortable drive over a base plate in your garage – an inductive charging of the battery begins. Fully automatically.

So is that!

Thanks for sharing @Toolfan66
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    I like inductive charging, but in being less efficient than a hard connection, it would increase the charging time in any car; maybe the 800V system helps address that?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    WOW thats really cool
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    And yet I can't fully charge my phone in less than an hour...

Definitely very cool ....thanks Larry
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Another expensive toy for the well to do who want to feel better about themselves....as they climb into their private jets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Now that's an electric car I could get used to!

Smart and sexy.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Popcorn ! Get yer popcorn here !!

Sal Palooza
  • pitdogg2
    Round 2 is about to begin :(
  • tonyb
    Lasareath wrote: »
    TonyB is correct. That's why if you want to be economical then you'll buy a used LEAF. A friend just bought a 2015 with only 7,000 miles for $11,000 - 2014's are going for $8000. The Mission E can't touch this!
    tonyb wrote: »
    Another expensive toy for the well to do who want to feel better about themselves....as they climb into their private jets.

Not a good sign Sal....seeing that a 2017 new Leaf goes for around 35k. What your saying is in 3 years the value sinks to 8k ? That's a 27k loss in 3 years, 9k a year. You can spend 5k on a gas car and throw it away every year and still come out ahead. That's being "economical" when your own wallet is concerned.

That has to be one of the worst resale values I've seen in a long time. Which means, demand is lacking.

As far as the Mission goes, it certainly looks like a sweet ride but so do Ferraris'. These are cars for the rich folks who are more concerned with statements than actual money savings.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I'm having flashbacks to 2015-2016.

*takes Dramamine, braces for impact*

I'm kind of excited that we get to start this up again!
    Just to spite, whenever the gas option is available, u buy it. I now have a fleet of common household items that spew exhaust. Toothbrush, keurig, and even my daughters remote control Thomas the Train lets off the aroma of burnt emissions.

Welcome back Salad!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • pitdogg2
    neighbor had an electric car jumped right on the bandwagon.....4 yrs later traded it in for a gas vehicle... battery problem wanted 10G to fix. I would think they would be covered better but evidently they are not.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I know a guy who had two of 'em, got rid of 'em for the same reason...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I have a buddy who has a Leaf and a Unimog. When he wants to feel emasculated, he drives the Leaf into Boulder.

But when he wants to feel like someone who hasn't had their man-card revoked with a lifetime ban, he gets in the 'Mog, loads up a dozen friends and actually goes anywhere he wants.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Electric cars will take over, the problems is the depreciation factor. If you look at the new and used price of a Tesla you can see problems!, car A is new for $160000 but a used one with 140000 is 40k so why is this as both cars look the same on the outside. Well its the battery! The new car holds a charge for say 200 miles yet the used car only gets 60 to 90 miles.

Buy a Porsche like that then its junk after a few years of heavy usage.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I was in a Polaris/Victory motorcycle dealership last week and saw two of the victory empulse tt (electric motorcycle) brand new for $8999 each. They were left over 2016 models with a msrp of $18999. Quite a discount, seems nobody is interested.
    http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/electric/empulse-tt-titanium-silver-havasu-red
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jeremymarcinko
    qei5vnispeph.jpg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Didn't that guy from top gear crash a super car the other day Mark Hamil? Well what ever happened he got away with minor injurys but here is the thing.......The car exploded into a fire ball and it took the emergency fire crew ages to respond because it was electric and no one was expecting to just burst I to flames like it did. The remains of the charred vehicle was scary as there was no fuel on board yet it burned up way worse and faster that a gas guzzler.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Slowly burst into flames that's funny.
  • tonyb
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Two friends just bought a 2017 Fully loaded LEAFs for $18,500 after all incentives. Their power companies gave them $10k off. Plus no sales tax. Plus the federal incentive.

The reason the old LEAFs are that cheap is because of the Federal Tax credit. Somebody returns a LEAF from a Lease and the dealer tries to sell it but the price is so close to a New one because 2nd purchaser does not get the Federal Tax incentive.

Dealers were having lots of issues selling them and they called Nissan Corp and complained that they are piling up and they don't have the room. So Nissan Corporate is paying $7500 on the back end for every one sold. The customer makes out and so do the resellers.

The used LEAF is perfect if you do 30 miles a day or for your children going to college (they can't go far)

But the 2011 to 2017 LEAF is old technology. We don't know what the 2018 will have. You should really research the Chevy #BoltEV - $220 to $300 Lease for 3 years and then it's somebody else's problem.

250 to 300 miles range per charge. That's New technology. No reason comparing specs of an iPhone 3 any longer. You want the iPhone 7 Plus.

tonyb wrote: »

Not a good sign Sal....seeing that a 2017 new Leaf goes for around 35k. What your saying is in 3 years the value sinks to 8k ? That's a 27k loss in 3 years, 9k a year. You can spend 5k on a gas car and throw it away every year and still come out ahead. That's being "economical" when your own wallet is concerned.

That has to be one of the worst resale values I've seen in a long time. Which means, demand is lacking.

As far as the Mission goes, it certainly looks like a sweet ride but so do Ferraris'. These are cars for the rich folks who are more concerned with statements than actual money savings.

Not a fan of subsidies Sal. While it may benefit the buyer, someone else is paying for it which is probably reflected in their other cars they offer. Same thing when the government subsidizes. There is no free lunch, free money.

I know I've said it before, but I actually like electric cars....only let the free market bear the costs of these things. They aren't for everyone, but I can see the allure for city dwellers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    and then it's somebody else's problem.

That's the spirit !

Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    and then it's somebody else's problem.

That's the spirit !

LMAO....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Sal, you still racing people at lights?
    Do you have statistics of your wins on that website of yours?

If you race a tow truck with a car on the back, do you count that as 2?

I've been strictly racing fully loaded tractor trailers to help pad my numbers. Want to get into the "bigs" some day.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2017
    Some issues with going all electric globally, is the issue is the storage of the batteries once they reach end of life, and then the cost of a new battery. This issue currently exists anyway since lots of stuff uses lithium ion batteries, phones, etc, but not in the size and quantity that would show up should we move globally to all electric.

Additionally there is VERY LITTLE to ANY buildout of capacity for charging station outside a few locations. Until you have enough charging stations to exceed growing demand you will have problems.

You also have to worry about slowly losing capacity, so while you may get 75 miles to charge for the first year or two.... then you get 60, then less, then less.

Sal you've even posted about folks using the charging stations to park their EV's in for the day, not just to charge, which is another problem in large urban areas (where EV's are always mentioned due to the limited drive distances)

I am not a person whose in a cycle of replacing cars every couple years. When I buy a car, I intend to keep it 7-10 years if not longer, and so far I've kept my first two cars for over 10 years each, and my Murano will be the same before I consider replacing it.

With a EV, I'm doubtful you will be able to go that far without having to replace the battery once, and also have the slow loss of how much charge it will take.

And just like gas, there is ONLY so much of the materials needed to produce the batteries.

Until we use something more basic, like hydrogen from water, as our fuel source that is much more plentiful and easy to produce, we are just trading one fossil fuel for another.

PS that electricity your car runs on.... its normally generated by burning coal, or another fossil fuel at a plant. And even if you mention that they are converting those charging stations to run on solar... they still need a backup system of some sort if the sun isnt providing enough juice, or if the municipality wont allow them to install solar panels near the charging stations.

Additionally the waste generated in the creation of the batteries is just as toxic, if not more, than the waste generated in the creation and processing of crude oil. And then long term storage of depleted lithium ion batteries is still a topic of hot debate, as they are toxic as well.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Kinda like the fluorescent light bulbs that you can't legally just throw in the trash because of the chemicals

Double edged BS
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    Actually, if the argument is coal vs. electricity and which type of car emits more emissions.....not many give a hoot. It's not going to change a thing.

If buying electric cars makes you feel better about yourself, rock on and enjoy it. Just don't ask others to help pay for it is all I'm sayin'.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Kinda like the fluorescent light bulbs that you can't legally just throw in the trash because of the chemicals

Double edged BS

I live on the edge. I wait till the cop down the street can see me, then dump a box into the trash........

Arrest me copper!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    Such a rebel Dan....
  • EndersShadow
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Such a rebel Dan....

I am, you have NOOO IDEA ;) . I jump on cracks, never look both ways before I cross the street, refuse to carpool, only mow my grass on ozone days, and never look before I leap.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I bet you measure twice before you cut though... :p