Polk SDA's

Are the polk SDA's still worth purchasing??

I have found two pairs of SDA 1C's. One pair for $750 & one pair for $300.
1 Pair of SDA 2B Studio Speakers - $250
1 Pair of Polk monitor 5A speakers w/ peerless tweeters. - $150

Are parts still readily available? So forth and so on?
All four pairs look in pretty good shape. Practically new for some.
Still worth it?? What does one look out for with these?

Any help so as not to be taken for a ride if I decide to bite.
Denon AVR X4200W
Parasound A23 amplifier
Parasound A23 amplifier
LG 65" Ultra HD4k
LG 4kBR - UP970
Denon DVM 4800
Denon DP 3000 turntable
Saec 308sx tonearm w/
Dynavector 10x5 cart
Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
Polk SDA 1C's modded
Polk LSim 707
Polk LSiM706c
Polk RTiA 3's
Polk 80F/X-RT
Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
Infinity bu2 sub
"The early Klingon gets the Gagh"

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Yes short answer
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    ^^++

If those SDA's are in good shape and everything works the 2B's for $250 and the 1C's for $300 are a killer deal if there not studioa, If those other 1C's are in good working order and condition $750 may not be too bad If they are rare in your area and there not studios.

JMO.

Check this link out for more info on the different SDA models SDA Speaker Identification.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Thanks for the info. I may call about the 1c's @300. Somewhat close to me. Those are definitely not the studio's. Thanks for that link. The 1c's for 750 are a drive but, are pristine, in box & hardly used.

The 2B's are listed as studio's. So why are the studio's not as desirable?

I'm off to a wedding with the misses. :s

Any info is appreciated.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Get the 2Bs. Now. Run.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gimpod
    edited June 2017
    Manticore wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I may call about the 1c's @300. Somewhat close to me. Those are definitely not the studio's. Thanks for that link. The 1c's for 750 are a drive but, are pristine, in box & hardly used.

The 2B's are listed as studio's. So why are the studio's not as desirable?

I'm off to a wedding with the misses. :s

Any info is appreciated.

If those pristine, in box & hardly used 1C's for $750 are all they say they are and fully working (no frozen drivers), to me (I'm biased I have a set of fully modded 1C's) in original boxes they would be worth the money & drive. JMO after all it's you money.

Don't get me wrong the 2Bs are a VERY good speaker also. It also comes down to how big is the room your going to put them in, In general the bigger the room the bigger the SDAs. I'm running my 1Cs in a 17ft wide by 11ft deep room. I don't think most guys have this kind of room just for a 2 Chanel rig but I don't have the WAF to deal with, I also get to run wire wherever I want. :tongue:

BUT if you get any of the SDA's transport them wrapped in heavy blankets on there backs!. This will help avoid any magnet shifting during transport.

In most cases the Studio models cabs are made from Particleboard, The non Studio models are made out of MDF which IMHO has a better sound. I had IC's in both Studio & Non Studio, I feel the Non Studio version with the same components (pulled from the Studios) had a deeper bottom end and a more robust overall sound plus I prefer the looks of the Non Studios, Some here will disagree but this is just my option.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I have disagree Tony. Both the standard versions of the 2B and 1C are basically the same cabinets as the studio versions with an extra panel on each side and end caps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I just don't like the look of the studio SDA's.. JMO!!
  • gimpod
    F1nut wrote: »
    I have disagree Tony. Both the standard versions of the 2B and 1C are basically the same cabinets as the studio versions with an extra panel on each side and end caps.

Jesse I think your right, I don't know why I though the standard 1C's were MDF, maybe it was the end caps I don't know. It's been over 2 years since I had my 1C's apart and they have been in storage since I moved last year :disappointed: so I can't pull a driver and check.

I do know that the studios have less internal volume by about 640 sq inch's. This is figuring a 1" wood thickness, -2" (Studios) & 2.250" (Std) for the sides, -2.5" (Studio) & 2" (Std) and 4" total for top & bottom. These are just rough estimates using the outside dimensions as I don't have access to both sets of my cabinets.
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I just don't like the look of the studio SDA's.. JMO!!

Me too!!
  • F1nut
    edited June 2017
    Tony, ya gots to put ya thinkin' cap on buddy. The internal volume is the same, it's the external dimensions which are different because they wrapped the studio versions with the cloth sides and end caps.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Interesting - I always wondered what the "Studio" descriptor meant. I just looked up the 1Cs on that PolkSDA site and saw the difference - the standard version has the endcaps whereas the Studios look like the monitor style speakers?

Who runs this site anyway? https://polksda.com/

I found this Steve's rebuild thread while looking for photos. I can't really tell. Are these Studio cabinets particleboard? Were all the 1C cabs particleboard?
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170160/polk-sda-1c-mod-progress

A few photos that came up in image searches
    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649302534-polk-audio-sda-1c-speakers/images/1335380/
    clxnelyjs8on.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • gimpod
    Tony, ya gots to put ya thinkin' cap on buddy. The internal volume is the same, it's the external dimensions which are different because they wrapped the studio versions with the cloth sides and end caps.

Jesse my thunkin cap is on, The studio's for both the 2B & 1C are an inch shorter and at least 1/2 shallower on the 1C's, Remember the studios have that decorative piece below the PR and on a 2" pedestal which equals the end caps.

SDA IC Standard Dimensions: 11-1/2"D x 16-9/16"W x 44"H
    SDA IC Studio Dimensions: 11-1/2"D x 15-7/8"W x 43"H

And again This is figuring a 1" wood thickness, -2" (Studios) & 2.250" (Std) for the sides, -2.5" (Studio) & 2" (Std) for the front & back, and 4" total for top & bottom.

I doubt the cloth sides are a 1/2" thick maybe a 1/4-3/8. Either way the math just doesn't add up.
  • F1nut
    Ok, but the interior cabinet space continues down past the decorative front trim and the base riser is only one inch tall.

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    Ok, but the interior cabinet space continues down past the decorative front trim and the base riser is only one inch tall.

When your right your right!.

I don't know what I was thinking :dizzy: must be drugs :smile:

BTW: To the mods, I WANT @F1nut's OLD AVATAR BACK!!! This pure over P.C. BS.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2017
    Send your thoughts to Ken Carter.

I want it back too Tony. It was perfectly fine for years and the same one I use on other audio forums. If I got a comment about it, which is rare, it is love it.....funny.....clever.....witty.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    Jesse the reason I change mine was because @K_M said the old one scared him, I hope he likes this one better, Really I don't care if he does or doesn't I like it there for it's staying.
  • gimpod
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I saw a funny avatar for you Tony, but if I post it I'd probably get banned. :o

Please PM it or a link to me!. I may love it.