What cheapo system gives you great pleasure?

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Boston Acoustics 2.1 computer speakers from 1998, and an iPhone 4 running TuneIn, Pandora, or Spotify :)
    I use it while working in the garage.
    I disabled signatures.
  • My budget system

SMSL Q5 $99
    Pioneer BS 22's $78, DIY Nano Neo's $75, Totem Mites $Free
    Sonos Connect $Free
    24" Stands $25
    Kimber 4TC $30

I am planning on getting a pair of ELAC B6's in September.

Sounds pretty good for some relaxing listening in my bedroom.

I like simple.

Scott

I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    edited August 2015
    dromunds wrote: »
    mhardy, did you find Alison One's at the dump? Remarkable to say the least. My college roommate bought a pair new and still has them, mint. He currently uses them as surrounds in a very high end system with Salks, etc. and they sound awesome. Very desireable and command high prices. Heck, the grills bring top buck.

Yup. They are very good loudspeakers indeed. In full disclosure, one woofer was "deconed" so I had to invest in one replacement woofer. Didn't seem like a bad investment to me. They're in very good cosmetic condition (although not mint) -- the grilles are (as most are at this point) brittle and fragile (I haven't done anything about that yet).

I don't think I have any good photos of 'em but if I find an even halfway decent one I shall post it. They live on the back wall of the hifi room, on the seedy, soiled state side of town.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2015
    My unconventional KLH 20 Plus. It just looks awesome.

bncbvwcvkui2.jpg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Tbone289
    Tbone289 Posts: 661
    edited August 2015
    xbbkezujxm5u.jpg

That's my C740 in that pic! ;)

I'm still running it in my cheapo system (The cheapest I have):

Musical Fidelity V-DACII
    NAD C740 receiver
    Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors (Pioneer SP-BS22-LR)
    Polk PSW-202

This is my PC setup, where I do the vast majority of my listening. I swap out the C740 for a a NAD 114/ADCOM GFA-535II combo sometimes, and the Yaqin MC-10L I bought from polkfarmboy a few years back in the winter.
    Post edited by Tbone289 on
    2.1: PC>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya Noval>NAD C-270>Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1, HSU STF-2 5.1: HDMI Bitstream>Denon AVR-1910>polkaudio RTE55, CS350-LS, RT3, HSU STF-2, Visio M55-F0
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I guess my bdrm system Nikko 6065 receiver-34 watts a side $40 C/L
    JBL-G-200s --$20 C/L
    Sony--DVP-NS 300 cdp w/ remote--$10 garage sale -- downside, does not play burned cd
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Tbone289 wrote: »
    That's my C740 in that pic!
    The C740 is high on my list of stereo receivers. Sweet sound.
  • Conradicles
    If you ever find a pair of these on the cheap, buy them. Amazing speakers.

n0qubqw7hcnt.jpg

07v92s5tadyu.jpg

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Cheapo system

Axiom m22
    HK330 receiver

I was a happy camper.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2015
    unsuffixed hk330?

The pedigree gets a little confusing as there was the hk three-thirty, then the 330A, the 330B, and finally the 330C.

All nice entry-level receivers (ca. 20 wpc), but all somewhat different; I don't even know if they were made by the same OEM (althouh there's a fair amount of information/documentation on teh webs).

My personal fave is the "C" version -- which is a nice basic receiver with unassailable cosmetics (IMO, of course). This is in no way meant to denigrate the other 330 morphs -- I just always liked the looks of the "C" (which was, truth be told, a current model back when I first got interested in this stuff).

Th hk330C was not uncommonly paired with Polk Audio Monitor 7s by hifi dealers in the mid-Atlantic in the mid 1970s.

14557954777_7fa8a06bd7_b.jpgGMMgreatbeginnings by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (Yeah, those are AVIDs not Polks -- decent speakers, though, they were, too. )

As an aside -- hk also sold what appeared to be just the power/pre amp section of the hk 330C as the A401 in the mid-70s. One of the most beautiful & elegantly simple (cosmetically) ss integrated amps ever marketed, IMO. I'd love to pick one up someday...
    borrowed images:

harman_kardon_a-401.jpg
    harman-kardon-a-401-739647.jpg
    sources: www.hifiengine.com and medias.audiofanzine.com respectively

OK, I'll stop now :-P
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Smarty pants!

Lol jk
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    dromunds wrote: »
    mhardy, did you find Alison One's at the dump? Remarkable to say the least. My college roommate bought a pair new and still has them, mint. He currently uses them as surrounds in a very high end system with Salks, etc. and they sound awesome. Very desireable and command high prices. Heck, the grills bring top buck.

Yup. They are very good loudspeakers indeed. In full disclosure, one woofer was "deconed" so I had to invest in one replacement woofer. Didn't seem like a bad investment to me. They're in very good cosmetic condition (although not mint) -- the grilles are (as most are at this point) brittle and fragile (I haven't done anything about that yet).

I don't think I have any good photos of 'em but if I find an even halfway decent one I shall post it. They live on the back wall of the hifi room, on the seedy, soiled state side of town.

@mhardy6647,

I've owned a pair of Allison 6s for three decades or more, and I think they have great sound -- especially for their size. I had the crossovers rebuilt by VR3 Mods, which made them sound even better.

The Allison 1s are speakers that I had always "coveted," at least till I procured my SDA SRSs three years ago. I'd love to see pictures of the ones you found in the dump, as well as to a review of their sound.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Mine: about 7k more gear and I will be good.

I think I have reached my goal and maybe then some.
  • mhardy6647
    heh -- so -- two years ago, moose68bash asked about Allison Ones... and I missed it? What kind of drugs was I doin' then? ;)

They are very very good sounding loudspeakers, with a big, clean smooth, articulate and accurate sound. Mine are only semi-restored (i.e., they are functional but really need more work); I really should rectify that someday :/

They're hard to photograph at my house due to their placement. When we moved up here, my "goal" was to have a solid state wall and a vacuum tube wall -- but by the time all of the junk had settled in, there really wasn't room :(

Here's about the best I could do, in terms of a photo, without moving furniture.

29330435600_6bd3c7ced4_b.jpgDSC_5794a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

28995001964_848e4a9063_b.jpgDSC_5795a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    a0bebrsqx5ko.jpg

This little Bose soundlink mini speaker because it is so convenient. I listen to it out on our patio, in the garage, in the kitchen, and in my office when I'm working from home. It sounds pretty good for what it is too.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_018SLKMN2P/Bose-SoundLink-Mini-Bluetooth-speaker-II-Pearl.html?tp=63331&awkw=136875054985&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=175693025962&awdv=m&awug=1019250
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    I don't recognize 'em either (FWIW) -- they're not NS-690s, that's fo' sho'. I am guessing mid to late 1980s vintage (but that's a SWAG).
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    @jeremymarcinko I was pretty shocked when I bought this for our upcoming beach trip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K9NLD76/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8u187ornjrhq.jpg

And it sounds pretty darn good, especially if you shove it up against a wall, even better in a corner. I built a farm table and bench over the last week and used it in teh garage, and it was great to have tunes out there. And it gets pretty loud and actually has some bass, pretty sweet for 50 smackers...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    A pair of Jungle Green KLH 17's I got from @George Grand for less than $20
    A tube amp I built from a kit that cost $140, 8 watts per channel of fury!
    Damn near any source you got, my favorite was the SanDisk MP3 player I had but the Sony Car Discman is a champ on it too.

I drug that up to Polkfest 2010 at @ohskigod . Went deaf after @dorokusai trying to blow that rig up with Rob Zombie and Black Sabbath.

The reason doro was messing with it was because I was trying to blow it up with Rob Zombie myself and he actually came upstairs and told us to turn it down, they couldn't hear the BBQ/LSiM prototype demos or the AR9's downstairs over it.

Yes, I still have all of it. Except the MP3 player. That pooped the bed years ago. Have to hide that rig from @cnh every time he comes out to a fest too.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited June 2017
    My Warehouse system at work. It's powered by an old class "B" stock Sony STR-DA2100ES $100 Sony employee price. Sony 12" Sub $60 Sony employee price and two ebay RTi4 $60. Sony employee we got family store discounts and gift checks. I always saved my gift checks so I never really paid for anything.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited June 2017
    I have a system I "donated" to the warehouse I work in. It's a $99 Sherwood receiver and 2 Advent Calypso outdoor speakers. This system has been running 24/7, 365 for over 8 years!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    04jixtmoh9y0.jpg
    Y'all might hate on it a little, and that's ok!! Sony APM-690 system I picked up for $20. Rehabbed the CD and replaced the back lights on the receiver. Then swapped in a Panasonic SL-H306 TT that needed a new belt for I found for $10. The highs aren't all that transparent but the lows are crisp and clean and they are really efficient. Was very surprised what $30 and a little elbow grease got me.
  • Conradicles
    la2vegas wrote: »
    If you ever find a pair of these on the cheap, buy them. Amazing speakers.

n0qubqw7hcnt.jpg

07v92s5tadyu.jpg

Are those ns-344's? If not, please include model number.

Yes Yamaha NS-344. Giant killers.

They do not have the bloated bass that many speakers their size have, but they have everything else in spades. I was shocked when I 1st heard them.

I have a pair that I rotate in the Garage Rig powered by a Kenwood KA-701 and a Magnavox CDB-582 (modded by Musical Concepts and sounds amazing).
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2017
    qkzq6wnxr0lq.jpg
    I use a Dared SL-2000a preamp + 2 Dared VP-300B Monoblocks (9 wpc) and the Omega Super7 full range speakers! not super cheap but not that expensive either.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    c0x2v1suubor.jpg

I TOTALLY FORGOT about the Hitmaster (despite having 2 shirts promoting them I might add)....

Thats a kick butt outdoor system I bet..

Here is my favorite current cheap setup.

Console playing FM radio. 40 bucks invested with a suggested 150 to come to refresh the caps

ck4vpcb4om5e.jpg

oc2bxycyuepq.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Cheapo is relative, I think this setup is a relative bargain but sounds sweet.

AU-6900 (fully overhauled)
    iPod Mini (old square style with builtin radio tuner)
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I had to work on Saturday, Warehouse system was up over -10db most of the day :smiley: hope nobody in the building was trying to sleep.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Free Proton D940 receiver with $25 garage sale finds Technics sl j2 turntable and Monitor 5B's.
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    ^ that's a win!!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Polk Woodbourne