Graduation

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
edited June 2017 in The Clubhouse
Today I will graduate with honors (C u m Laude <-- edited for Vanilla censorship) from the College of Science and Health at DePaul University having earned a BS in Health Sciences with a concentration in Public Health and a double minor in Sociology and Psychology.

I am very appreciative of all the support bestowed upon me by my family, friends, classmates, professors, and the staff at the University in my pursuit of this goal. This has been a long time to come and it is a bittersweet moment as I will be leaving a program I have enjoyed quite a bit over the last few years.

Thankfully, my wife secured a postdoc position in a lab at Washington University in St. Louis and I could not be happier for her. She will defend her thesis in mid-October at Northwestern University and we will be moving to St. Louis shortly thereafter.

This summer, I have a research position set up in a lab at DePaul and I will be taking a gap year to prep for the GRE, explore job opportunities, and get situated in St. Louis as well as giving myself time to look into Masters programs at the Universities in St. Louis and their requirements plus deadlines.

One of the most challenging aspects of moving will be finding a suitable wheelchair accessible apartment in St. Louis. It took a long time to find one in Chicago that was within our price range. A lot of newer construction in St. Louis, especially where we will be looking to rent, but the cookie cutter bathroom layouts are NOT wheelchair-user-friendly despite the buildings being listed as "wheelchair accessible." It's great if I can get into the apartment building, to begin with, but I need to be able to access the toilet and the tub/shower as well.

Thank you all kindly for your attention. My audio hobby has taken up a lot of time and effort over the last few years and I'm glad to have the stress-relieving outlet at my disposal thanks, in part, to many of the fine members of this forum. The advice I received here has been excellent and has allowed me the ability to have a very nice setup that both the wife and I enjoy immensely.

Cheers!

- Victor
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Atta boy, Victor! Congrats to you both for achieving your goals and not settling for second place.
    I gotta get my sorry arse up there. Or see y'all St. Louis.....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    Very nice! Congratulations -- to both of you!

The career development path for the (academic/life science) two-professional couple can be difficult, I know. Sounds like your (plural) next phase has come together nicely. No mean feat!

gratuitous aside:
    Is your wife also in life sciences (you may have told me, but I forget)?
    FWIW, I don't know anyone at DePaul, but I do know several folks @ Wash U (mostly the Med School), including my postdoc advisor, who runs a proteomics facility there.
    http://msr.dom.wustl.edu/reid-townsend-m-d-ph-d/

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    Big congrats to you and your wife!
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Well done, and Congrats!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    Congratulations, Victor!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Nice work.

If you are looking for apartments in St Louis, anything with the name Vanguard (something) should be avoided. I might have insider info (built for the owner) and they are hacks! ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Congrats dude! And to your wife also. A few of my buddies have post-doc degrees, in Chemistry, and they have done very well for themselves. Best wishes for the future.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Awesome Victor, congrats to you and the wife on your journey
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Congrats to you and your wife Victor! We need to hook up before you move.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Congrats, Victor! Good luck on "the next phase".
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Congratulations to you both Victor!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Way to go Victor! Congrats to you and your wife!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Awesome congrats!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • halo
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind words everyone! It's been a very busy weekend and, thankfully, the ceremony went off without incident. Whew! It was very hot and humid on Sunday but we all braved the weather and cheered each other on as we received our degrees. I'm glad I was able to see some of my classmates, faculty, and advisors throughout the day. It's hard to believe that I'm going to miss all this but life moves on!
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Simply awesome! Congrats to you both!
  • halo
    Options
    Congrats on graduating and good luck with work and housing.

You may want to check with such groups as Catholic Charities. They helped locate wheelchair accessible housing for me and they operate some apartment buildings in Pierce County, WA. The Franciscan doctors and wound center saved my leg from amputation in 2013.

Thank you for the advice! We're moving to St. Louis not Washington but I'm sure Catholic Charities are available in different states.

Thanks again!

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Dude Congrats!!! That is out of this world great.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    WTG HALO! B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    Options
    Congratulations and I wish you the very best.