Hey, I got no cans!

I just realized I have no way to use my headphones in the dungeon now and that bites. Can yooz look at my sig and see what I can do? I would do it myself but my dinner jacket buckles in the back.

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Sorry, I am in full panic mode! I may have to watch and listen to "Friends" with my ol lady lol.
  • afterburnt
    edited June 2017
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Set of Y RCA connectors between source and pre to a Schiit Audio Asgard 2 headphone amp. It'll rock your head off with up to 1 wpc of pure class A power.

Ooooohhh, that does sound tempting, however, I think I am gonna need a cheaper DAC/Headphone amp. Gat damn this is an expensive habit. I spent too much on my RCA wye, now how much is this Shiit gonna cost? I have my Emo wtf? headphone amp/dac and it does good for travel, like 70 bucks a good deal no? BTW I hate you guys. I am gonna buy Skips Nano on payments if it will work.
  • afterburnt
    @nbrowser, I hope I can do good with Skips iFi. I think I have to dump a dollar or two into a usb cable that should add up to weight loss. I dont wear the cans all that much but I am terrified to think that I would have to listen to my ol lady without that dumb smile lol
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Take your meds!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    decal wrote: »
    Take your meds!!!!

....or take more, depending. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    Hello, baby hello Haven't seen your face for a while Have you quit doing time for me Or are you still the same spoiled child Hello, I said hello Is this the only place you thought to go Am I the only man you ever had Or am I just the last surviving friend... that you know Thorazine and me We're pretty good company Looking for an island In our boat upon the sea Thorazine, gee I really love you And I want to love you forever And dream of the never, never, never leaving Thorazine Hello, baby hello Open up your heart and let your feelings flow You're not unlucky knowing me Keeping the speed real slow In any case I set my own pace By stealing the show, say hello... hello Thorazine and me We're pretty good company Looking for an island In our boat upon the sea Thorazine, gee I really love you And I want to love you forever And dream of the never, never, never leaving Thorazine Never leaving ThorazineThorazine
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited June 2017
    It's cheap and most likely temporary for your needs but I purchased the Bravo V2 12AU7 tube amp for $55 and I think it is absolutely killer paired with my Grados.

It's only 55 bones, can't lose much.

**Edit** I want to clarify it is tube pre and solid state power.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Opening thoughts and gear used

Package received today, no damage bit a little but of glue on a capacitor in the back. I easily peeled it off but worth mentioning. I expected the tube to NOT be installed upon arrival but it was, I can only guess people breaking it not knowing what they are doing previously initiated this change.

Overall she is pretty and better looking than I anticipated by the photos. The tube's label is simply "12AU7 CHINA" in red lettering.

Turning it on for the first time started the blue (under tube) and red (behind tube) LEDs and I let it warm up for a good 10 minutes before I plugged my IPad Pro 3.5mm to RCA into the amp. Streamed via Spotify at "Extreme Quality 320kbps", headphones used were Grado SR80e via 1/4 in adapter.

Sound

Off the bat I know these Grados aren't the best and are a wee bit bass shy to some but not I. The open back design I feel gives a great sound stage at least beyond my experience with cans. The first song I started off with is one I have been listening to a lot lately:

#1 Linda Ronstadt - Tracks of my tears

This being the first song I didn't know what to expect and you know what I thought it sounded JUST like plugging into my Yamaha AV34, obviously some doubt crept in but hope was still there. The sound was nice but just nothing different with decent solid state sound just a tad Brighter than the aforementioned AV34 which I did not like.

#2 Houndmouth - Otis

This was the artist I wanted to specifically test with this tube pre. Starting the song off was still a bit sterile but about half way through more warmth was introduced and the highs tamed a little, bass was nice and controlled but not heavy. The soundstage started to open up more and I heard ambient noise that I couldn't hear though my SDAs. Starting to get impressed.

A couple songs later...

#6 Fleetwood Mac - Silver Springs (Early Take)

This is where I started to float away with the beautiful atmospheric guitar and Stevie's raw voice tearing through the middle. At this point it was when I thought I made a wise investment. The highs were there but never too fatuiging although could be more detailed, mids were silky smooth and seldom too forward. The bass is hard to judge as it is also the headphones I was using that contributed to the lack of bass but it was still present just not pronounced when sometimes it needed to be. No tone controls either. :(

Overall First Impressions

I feel my money was very well spent on this amp and getting some new tubes in I believe can fix most of the SQ gripes I may have however few I listed. There was some crackling in the music from time to time which I figured was the tube breaking in so I didn't worry too much. If anyone is thinking about one of these simply as a nice little cheap amp I would say snatch it up. Just wat h out because this thing gets hot in very little time, mostly on the heat sinks as the tube's top stays cool to moderately warm.

Like I said she is purty though...

3h8lzio14cow.jpg
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • TCK
    TCK Posts: 231
    ...That's what she said
    - SDA 2B (1989, Oak Tops, 194s, Spikes)
    - Monitor 7B (1982 Peerless, Sonicaps, Mills, Dynamated, JB Welded, Binding Posts)
    - SVS SB12-NSD (2 in Flat Black)
    - SVS SB 3000 (Gloss Black)
    - Pioneer SC-1222K AVR
    - Marantz MM 7055 (5 Ch Amp)
    - Pioneer PD-D6 SACD Player
    - Marantz NR1403 AVR
    - Sony UBP-X800M2 (4k Blu-ray)
    - Sony UBP-X1100ES (4K Blu-ray)
    - Adcom GFA 555
    - Monitor 5 (194s, Side Surrounds)
    - Monitor 5Jr+ (194s)
    - LG OLED65CXPUA (4K OLED TV)
    - LG 55UN7300PUF (4K HD TV)
    - RT35i (Cherry)
    - CS400 (Center)
    - CS350 (Center)
    - F/Xi A4 (Rear Surrounds)
    - RT25 (Rear Surrounds)
    - Audioquest Cables

" But boy do I remember the strain of her refrain " LG
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2017
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Hello, baby hello Haven't seen your face for a while Have you quit doing time for me Or are you still the same spoiled child Hello, I said hello Is this the only place you thought to go Am I the only man you ever had Or am I just the last surviving friend... that you know Thorazine and me We're pretty good company Looking for an island In our boat upon the sea Thorazine, gee I really love you And I want to love you forever And dream of the never, never, never leaving Thorazine Hello, baby hello Open up your heart and let your feelings flow You're not unlucky knowing me Keeping the speed real slow In any case I set my own pace By stealing the show, say hello... hello Thorazine and me We're pretty good company Looking for an island In our boat upon the sea Thorazine, gee I really love you And I want to love you forever And dream of the never, never, never leaving Thorazine Never leaving ThorazineThorazine

LOL Bruce, you are a regular Bernie Taupin B)

I recognized that line from a Elton John song off the LP "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" Harmony ;)

BTW a Very Good catchy song!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD