RTI A7 Tweeter Not working

sefe
sefe Posts: 12
Hi guys
I recently buy a new tweeter for 1 of my RTI A7, Unfortunately is not working and I know the tweeter is good because I try it in the other speaker.

Anyone knows whats is wrong with my speaker? maybe the crossover?

were can I get it fix? Does Polk sells a new one?

thanks a lot

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2017
    Yes you should be able to purchase a new xover, call support 1 (800) 377-7655

Here is a pic of a RTiA9 which is similar as the A7 with a couple extra drivers

You could pull the xover as pictured and probably find the culprit, more than likely and burnt/cracked resistor
    jv7zd5y0uxnl.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • sefe
  • sefe
    Followed your instructions and found that the R1 was burnt/cracked. The reference is 5W2R4J, Were can I find this resistor? I really don't understand all specifications to find the replacement, I really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance
    k3ehhbuxic5s.jpg
  • dannylightning
    dannylightning Posts: 233
    edited June 2017
    yeah.. its got to be a bad crossover.. i had a set of speakers a long time ago that did the same thing.. i pull the tweeter out and hooked it directly toe the speaker wires coming out of my amp and it worked. i pull the crossover out and it was burnt up..

you can probably get a brand new unit.. not just he part that went bad, call polk customer service and tell them you need a new crossover
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• txcoastal1
    @F1nut or @VR3
    They both have rebuilt and modded the RTiA crossovers and should have the resistor values

They will recommend a better quality resistor and should be changed in both speakers

If this is above your pay grade..."Not an insult" then order a new crossover

You probably were having to much fun, but we understand ;)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    it would be easy enough to change out with a 10 watt or 12 watt mundorf or mills resistor. I think that is a 2.4 ohm but not 100%
  • txcoastal1
    ^^^^Cool, didn't know they were that inexpensive

• pitdogg2
    Even though you get a new XO you will cook the next one if you do not refrain from high levels of sound. That resistor had been VERY hot from excessive clipping IMHO
  • sefe
    Thanks a lot guys
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It's a 2.4 ohm, 5 watt resistor. If you replace it with one of higher wattage the next time you do what you did to cook this resistor the result will be a cooked tweeter.

Regardless of what you do to remedy the issue you need to figure out what you did to cause it in the first place. Likely cause, volume level too high, AVR sent a clipped signal, poof goes the resistor.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• The new RTiA7 crossover will cost 48.00, no shipping cost, Club Polk price.

If your A7 is still under the 5 year warranty we can ship you a new tweeter at no cost.
  • I also have a blown tweeter in one speaker. I purchased the speakers a 2 years ago off a local airline pilot, so assume under warrenty as they were nearly new at the time.
    I live in New Zealand . Model RTi A7 , serial no AM777204438.
    How can I get a new crossover sorted from here ?

• Do I need to sort if its the tweeter or cross over ? first I guess but from comments I've seen it sounds like the cross over. Should I try the tweeter in the other speaker first as no local audio agent for these nearby. ??
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Yes, swap in the known good tweeter first.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• citation16
    citation16 Posts: 14
    Speaking of tweeters, has anyone replaced the RTi9 tweeter with an upgraded one ? If so, what did you use ? Or, what better tweeter would be suitable; fitting it is another issue.
  • pitdogg2
    there is no upgraded tweeter for that speaker.