RTi38 comparison to RT25I

msg
msg Posts: 9,308
edited June 2017 in Speakers
I have some RT25I speakers that I like a lot.
There was a local Craigslist deal today where I picked up some RTi38s and a little CSi30 to mess around with.

The 38s look like the 25Is, except they have a cloth tweeter, whereas the 25I uses the aluminum one.

My question is, how should the RTi38 speakers compare to the RT25I?

Are these RTi38s in the same class as the last gen of RTi(not A) series speakers (that I hate), or are they more in line with the RT series?

Combo system, but music and smooth, non-fatiguing response is where it counts.

Just spent some time cleaning everything up and haven't had time to play test anything. I'll probably end up gifting them after I play around, if they don't end up in the garage, but curious as to how they're regarded.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• msg
    Sample photos

RT25I
    1f32yjzgr0ry.jpg

RTi38
    sb22zcci80vs.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    I love the 38i's. I think they have better midrange over the 25's. They are one of my favorite speakers from that line. The 55i's are still king but these are great with a sub.
    My brother still use his in the office.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I preferred the 25's. Better balance and slightly less nasal midrange, just seemed to be more fleshed out and natural. Not a huge difference, but there nonetheless. The 25i's are hard to beat. That tweeter is something special. Vocals and acoustic music just sound more natural on the 25's.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I preferred the 25's. Better balance and slightly less nasal midrange, just seemed to be more fleshed out and natural. Not a huge difference, but there nonetheless. The 25i's are hard to beat. That tweeter is something special. Vocals and acoustic music just sound more natural on the 25's.

H9

I have 2 sets of the 25's, not going anywhere.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • msg
    Thanks for the feedback so far, guys.

I'm wondering whether I need to start a new thread due to slight error of subject, or have this one adjusted

What I really meant to ask was, is there a difference between the early blue RTi series compared to the RTxxI series.

What was the progression? Was it RT > RTxxI > RTi > RTi 2nd gen > RTiA?

I tried out the RTi38 last night, but can't trust my ears for strong consideration of RTi brightness; I'm listening for it and can't be sure without much time.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited June 2017
    rt3 was first in the "reference theater" line - black silk dome tweeter (but the rt7 had the first gen tri-lam dome tweeter...)
    rt25 was next - silk dome tweeter I believe
    rt25i was next - tri-lam dome tweeter
    rti28 was next - weird cloth tweeter (this series only lasted about 1.5 years, not sure why it was phased out so quickly...)
    rti4
    rti A1
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    Thanks Paul. And what about the sound characteristics for each line?

Was the early silk dome build known to be brighter sounding/edgier than the tri-lam? I do thoroughly enjoy the RT25I. I always thought "aluminum" domes were supposed to be harsher sounding than cloth. Is the tri-lam smoother than a standard aluminum tweeter?
    I disabled signatures.
  • heiney9
    vmaxer wrote: »

H9

Mine aren't either. I had RTi38's at one point also thinking they'd be better than the RT25i and they weren't. They were nice until I compared them in a semi-near field setting. Sold the 38's to a forum member.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    The tri-lam tweeter was the best in the RT generation, IMO.

Polk no longer carries replacements, hasn't for years. So if buying used be aware if there are tweeter issues you will need to source a used one (tri-laminate in the RTxxi line)

H9
  • heiney9
    msg wrote: »

Was the early silk dome build known to be brighter sounding/edgier than the tri-lam? I do thoroughly enjoy the RT25I. I always thought "aluminum" domes were supposed to be harsher sounding than cloth. Is the tri-lam smoother than a standard aluminum tweeter?

The tri-lam is not "aluminum" IIRC. It's a trilaminate material.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Well I agree with @heiney9 that the rt25is are the best of the series ( I also really like the rt55i for HT).

The black silk dome tweeters are fine, fairly detailed and not too bright, but don't have as much as or extension as the tri-lam dome tweets.

The RTi4s were very bright sounding and unbalanced to my ears, making them seem liek they lacked bass even though they technically extend slightly deeper than the rt25is (the latter sounds much more balanced to me, especially in a near-field configuration). The stereophile measurements confirmed that there was a bump in the top octave of the rti4. The bump gets worse with the A1s, which I have not heard at any length...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I never see much mentioned about the RT35i's but aren't they basically the same as the 25i with a larger mid-driver?

I used to own a pair of 35i's, but not at the same time as the 25i's so never compared them side-by-side for sound, but it seems like they were very similar.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer wrote: »

H9

Mine aren't either. I had RTi38's at one point also thinking they'd be better than the RT25i and they weren't. They were nice until I compared them in a semi-near field setting. Sold the 38's to a forum member.

H9

I gave 4 38's to my nephew. Not bad but I like the 25's. I never compared them in the same system though.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Well I agree with @heiney9 that the rt25is are the best of the series ( I also really like the rt55i for HT).

The black silk dome tweeters are fine, fairly detailed and not too bright, but don't have as much as or extension as the tri-lam dome tweets.

The RTi4s were very bright sounding and unbalanced to my ears, making them seem liek they lacked bass even though they technically extend slightly deeper than the rt25is (the latter sounds much more balanced to me, especially in a near-field configuration). The stereophile measurements confirmed that there was a bump in the top octave of the rti4. The bump gets worse with the A1s, which I have not heard at any length...

I have a pair of these as well. I bought them. Ew, they are currently packed in their original boxes. I need to pull them out and play them again. I always liked them as well.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus