So I went to a thing and heard some other things.

Scrolling through Facebook Friday night and a sponsored post shows up, "Esoteric Audio Simaudio open demo". I figure why not show up and see what these demos are about as this is my first time in a real hifi audio store. I get to the place and they have some beautiful speakers, amps, transports, dac you name it but nothing playing. This being my first time at such a high end establishment I felt hesitant to ask questions and eventually made my way around the back, looked at some turntables then a door opened and I heard it.

I make my way in the door and there is a full Simaudio moon set up including two Moon 888 mono blocks connected to Rockport Cygnus towers! I eagerly sit down with my wife as they play some jazz, folk, African tribal music and some sweet sweet vinyl.

I wish they turned the system up more to open the speakers and amps up however I heard great relaxed but detailed highs, tight musical bass and great natural mids. I'm very impressed with the experience as a whole and hope to start and branch out to more of these events, even if I will never have the money to make a purchase. :D

I'll upload some pictures I took tomorrow morning!
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    You are tempting fate, my friend B)

Curious, what kind of participation did you see? I should start looking to see if there's anything like this where I live.

Also, curious, does your wife enjoy this with you, or does she just humor you?
    I disabled signatures.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Second mortgages to buy audio gear is a really bad idea.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    Actually, even though you may never be able to buy high caliber gear, it's good to get your ears on it. Why ?

So you can register in your brain the sound you like....or don't like. The gear you can afford comes in many flavors that could get you close to those sounds. Also, what may appear out of reach today, price wise, may be affordable 4 or 5 years down the road on the used markets.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    edited June 2017
    Yup, good point! Every system we hear gives us another reference point, which I find incredibly useful. Listening to this stuff is (I'd humbly opine) much more valuable than reading (or writing or talking) about it.

When I started in this furshlugginer hobby, I had no money, a fair amount of discretionary time, a car (well, a truck -- back before trucks were considered cool by the rabble) and the luxury of a number of fine hifi emporia in easy driving range (DC/Baltimore area, mid-late 1970s). I listened a lot and learned a lot.

The broader one's exposure, the less likely, I think, one is to get dogmatic about a brand, or a technology, or a source. After a while, one stops regurgitating others' opinions and starts to spout one's own opinions :)

As in my day job discipline (science), an open mind is a really valuable tool, as well. Hold your beliefs lightly, because you might be surprised by something you hear.

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    7rfc2vbq60un.jpg
    kzub8p5lk1er.jpg
    277kylzahsjo.jpg
    ebppx1gq2vl7.jpg
    glkya7wuar6u.jpg
    p6eyjmvdj7rx.jpg
    kj9esmedq0ft.jpg
    u3ocowza5xzh.jpg
    2scwys70nbq1.jpg
    ex05d992x6sz.jpg
    i6tacd3ujx2o.jpg
    rjsq4vc4lnib.jpg
    ycaaspvy5zdj.jpg

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • codycatalist
    msg wrote: »
    You are tempting fate, my friend B)

Curious, what kind of participation did you see? I should start looking to see if there's anything like this where I live.

Also, curious, does your wife enjoy this with you, or does she just humor you?

She loves audio and good replication but it's not her passion she just knows it's mine and likes to tag along.

Not too many people were there, id say about 10ish maybe.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    My interest in Rockport has been piqued, and there is a set for sale on the 'Gon that is at the end of my reach...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    That's where I started after joining the forum and listening to these guys talk audio.
    All the different lingo associated peaked my curiosity.

Now I take every chance I get and stop at the few audio shops, go to shows, and make it to every gathering I can.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    maaaaaaan, cool stuff!
    I disabled signatures.
  • codycatalist
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    That's where I started after joining the forum and listening to these guys talk audio.
    All the different lingo associated peaked my curiosity.

Now I take every chance I get and stop at the few audio shops, go to shows, and make it to every gathering I can.

My problem is that being a young guy with little budget I feel odd being at those kind of shows looking at items that cost more than I make in a year. However I had a great experience at this show and no one seemed to pay us any negative attention so I am going to try and go as much as possible now too for reference.
    maaaaaaan, cool stuff!

DUUUUUDDDEEEE SUPER cool!
    DSkip wrote: »
    Yep. Now, get your arse down here in October for my meet. It will be well worth the trip bud.

Hopefully! I haven't had a Texas trip since January, let me line my ducks in a row.

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    [/quote]

My problem is that being a young guy with little budget I feel odd being at those kind of shows looking at items that cost more than I make in a year. However I had a great experience at this show and no one seemed to pay us any negative attention so I am going to try and go as much as possible now too for reference.
    maaaaaaan, cool stuff!

The thing is, not all of those older ladies/gents have the means either. I usually go to Paragon Sight and Sound when they have their events (I missed last Thursday's Wilson Audio event.) and there is absolutely no way I'd ever be able to drop $150K on speakers. But, they want me there and the bug me through email until I relent. So GO! Get your ears on as much gear as you can. Enjoy the ride.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, think of it this way..

One can go listen to middle school band concerts every season. However, once you step into a premier venue for acoustics and hears some live professionals musicians doing their thing it changes your perspective about live music and how great it can sound. Listening to high end audio can give you that same perspective about what's possible.

Sometimes you may hear expensive gear that does not sound that hot....maybe it was the music, the setup, the room, ??? It just proves that there are no absolutes in audio and HELL yes there is a point of diminishing returns for us poor ordinary working folks.

I was in college when I first stepped into a high end audio store. By then, I had played all types of music, in all types of venues around the US, Europe, and Mexico. I've always had an ear for pure sound. Right away the sound caught my ear...it became fun to go to different stores and listen. Along the way, I ran into some serious audiophile snobs that would not give me the time of day. Then there were shops that would let me have my way! They would hand over the remote and let me listen to all the personal CD's, albums that I wanted. Back then I remember some Kef 107, B&W 801, MartinLogan, Krell, Mark Levinson, Conrad Johnson, tubes, and vinyl moments that left a lasting impression. Also, one of the stores had a room that looked like a nice upscale family room with a full McIntosh theater system. The salesman dimmed the lights, walked out, and closed the door. The movie Jurassic Park was on. I tell you, this was one of the best home theater moments for me at the time.

I just remember telling myself that the 'true' high end gear was out of reach....especially given all my other hobbies at the time. I told myself if I'm successful in life that maybe in my 40's-50's will I be able to afford a $20K-$50K stereo. So, I just gave up on home audio and settled for a basic MCS, Sony, Marantz, Yamaha, etc. rack systems over the years. I did however go car audio crazy because I was into cars at the time. I had some pretty high end car audio stuff at times.

Well...... I'm 51 and still chasing a decent mid-fi 2 channel system. Where did all the time go? Who knows when it will happen....but I'm trying to turn the corner soon. The quest continues.

Bottom line, listen to as much as you can....even if its gear that you don't own or can afford. You don't have to own high end gear to enjoy the music coming from it!
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2