6511 and 6503

Looking for some drivers to replace the torn surrounds in my SDA 2Bs, original not new OEM part.

I will be looking elsewhere but wanted to put something on here as I know the original 6511s are getting harder and harder to find.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    2 just popped up on EBAY.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662

Dude...you are awesome. Placed a bid.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • codycatalist
    edited June 2017

Dude...you are awesome. Placed a bid.

Scratch that they are the new OEM models. Couldn't tell by the picture but it is what he says in the post = /

I'm not as worried about the 6503 as I am the 6511...

• motorhead43026
    Sorry man they just popped up in my email notification. eBay notifies me when these show up. Can you retract?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• motorhead43026
    It took me nearly a year of leisurely searching to find some originals. I just wanted one for a spare.

• codycatalist
    It took me nearly a year of leisurely searching to find some originals. I just wanted one for a spare.

I have a dumb cat that does dumb things.

I'm gonna replace the torn 6503 and 6511 then put them away for a little bit until it dies or I can put them in their own space away from pets.

When I bought these they were 100% original mint...i've gone through two 6503s and a 6511 = /

• motorhead43026
    Screw that, have it declawed.

• codycatalist
    Screw that, have it declawed.

Too late now, it would hurt too much and some animal has to keep the dog in check.

It's my fault for moving the SDAs to the living room instead of keeping them in my bedroom = /

Live and learn.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I put thick cardboard in front of mine with the ex-wife brought home a cat. he liked to sit on top but never once scratched or clawed them. there is also a spray that they dislike may try that on the cardboard. were the grills on them?

Cody I'd be all over the new or old if I was you all of them are going to get harder to acquire
  • codycatalist
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I put thick cardboard in front of mine with the ex-wife brought home a cat. he liked to sit on top but never once scratched or clawed them. there is also a spray that they dislike may try that on the cardboard. were the grills on them?

Cody I'd be all over the new or old if I was you all of them are going to get harder to acquire

I just worry about the sound difference.

Grills were on... both times. Tried a spray on it but she doesn't just claw them as you mentioned she likes to sit on them. Problem is when her dumb a** misses her jump and takes the drivers out haha!

• pitdogg2
    I have heard both to my ears there is no difference. YMMV The only difference is the dust cap being a bit larger and no cut outs for the screws.
  • codycatalist
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I have heard both to my ears there is no difference. YMMV The only difference is the dust cap being a bit larger and no cut outs for the screws.

Meh with the grills on I shouldn't mind about the larger dust cap. I might just grab the listed used 6511s that I bid on. 2 for $56 is a good enough deal for me to bite plus i'll have a back up.

I have someone with two original 6503 local here on the c list I might just reach out to.

• motorhead43026
    Pit is spot on, no difference in sound at all. Use them as you search for originals.

• codycatalist
    Pit is spot on, no difference in sound at all. Use them as you search for originals.

Thanks fellas I will do so!

• pitdogg2
    Another thing you can do is keep the nails trimmed. We did with ours, I'm not a fan for declawing but keeping them trimmed if an indoor cat goes a long way. Ours only clawed the cardboard stuff they sell for them to claw on. The cardboard I used I had velcro on the back of my SDA's that went around the front to the other side and help the cardboard in place.

Just bouncing ideas that worked for me.
  • codycatalist
    Great ideas!

It just irrks me when I come home and see the polk badge off tilt....where is that dang cat!

• pitdogg2
    completely understand
  • motorhead43026

• pitdogg2
    Run don't walk
  • codycatalist

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Seems there is one left.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • codycatalist
    Someone buy this 6511 before it is gone! I would get the spare if I could but saving up for a house I could only squeeze one past the wife. I have someone local with two original 6503s, just waiting on funds for those.

• codycatalist
    edited July 2017
    Just got my package. A little bubble wrap and some newspaper was all they protected it with but it came through in tact and in quite nice condition!