Any Experience Comparing Signature Series S60, S55, S50, S20? (Friend Interested)

msg
msg Posts: 9,308
Hey guys, I have a friend who's been on the fence about getting some new speakers for a longgg time. I've told him about the deals on LSiM and Signature Series from time to time. He's interested in the Signature Series and is asking me some questions I can't really answer.

Use will be combination music and HT. He's not super serious about music, but I wouldn't want to steer him into anything that he would find lacking.

Have any of you had time with the S60, S55, S50, and S20 speakers?
He's looking between the S60s and S50s. I've seen some good feedback from @cfrizz and @rburgess714 on the S60s, and how they can be used without a sub if necessary, with a sub cleaning up the low-lows and letting the speakers run cleaner.

Can anyone with experience with them offer any perspective on performance without a sub across the lineup? I've done the little Best Buy demo in the aisle, but was a long time ago, and can't remember which towers those were (S50s I think), only that the S20 didn't seem to put out much bass without the sub engaged, however not sure how that rig was set up, whether proper crossover/throughput when the was disengaged, so I can't really count on that.

Thanks in advance for any info.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I just purchased a package @Adorama for 749.00 open box special. You get 2x S60, 2x S20 and 1x S30. That makes pair of S60 @ 449.00. I get the impression you don't need a sub with the big towers. BB does not carry the S60, so you did not hear these. I will find out early next week if it is a win or a dud. I will only be using these for 2 channel. The other stuff will go in a closet or I will sell it.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • msg
    Yeah, we were talking about this deal that DuB posted about, too. Nice move! You gotta be excited.

So, yes, this is what Cathy and Ray said about the S60s too - don't really need a sub, but Cathy says when she kicked in her SVS, the 60s cleaned up. This guy's not going to be that serious, at least not right now.

It was between the S60s and S50s, I think he was saying. I'm thinking S60s, but I don't want to discount the S50s if they'll be decent, but for full range, I'm thinking not? The numbers don't look bad, but still. And no experience.

I haven't been to the space yet, but I think it's open floor plan.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I have not heard the S50, my S60 sound great. I got the Adorama Deal a few months back for $800.

If your friend doesn't have a sub the S60 is the way to go. I do recommend a sub even with the S60, like Cathy said the sub cleans them up nice. I did go sub free for a bit and just cranked the bass up and they sounded fantastic.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2017
    Hmmm,I am going to be pissed off if these s60's require a sub to get good bass. Hopefully for 2 channel they will be sufficient. Else these will be going real cheap.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Hmmm,I am going to be pissed off if these s60's require a sub to get good bass. Hopefully for 2 channel they will be sufficient. Else these will be going real cheap.

Welp....sheeit... If it comes to that. 20 cents on the dollar.

Or just give them a chance. Clean, dynamic power after a several hours of break in.......
    Then tell us what you think.
  • mrloren

A lot will depend on the AVR. A lot of speakers produce good bass, toss a sub in the mix and you get great bass.

I have mine on my Marantz SR5010. After I had them for a few weeks I set them to full range disabled the sub on the AVR and flipped the power switch off as well as dynamic EQ. I went into pure direct and bumped up the bass to +3 they sounded good. I listened for the day of house cleaning and was impressed. At the end of the day I flipped the sub back on. When I listened to these @ Polk in Vista they had them on an old Onkyo without a sub and they sounded great.

The S60 does have good bass to it. I would have liked these on my old Sansui from back in the day.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2017
    I don't use an AVR, I have a Parasound P5 pre and a Parasound HCA-1500 amp. If I can get as much bass as my SDA2BTL's or better yet my M10's, I will be good.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on

• Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    msg wrote: »
    Have any of you had time with the S60, S55, S50, and S20 speakers?.
    I have about 100 hours on a pair of the S20, and it took about that long for the tweeter to calm down. Low bass is lacking as you noted, but mid bass is strong and tight. I did notice they needed to be almost against the wall for the power port to give off some bass. Overall a very impressive sounding speaker for only $300.

You said he is not that serious about music. I see the T series is now half price. For $150 he can get the T50 towers--for his intended use they may be fine. And at that price, if in a year he wants to improve his system, if he gives them away he would have gotten his money out of them.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    I am still running these without a sub and they have plenty of bass. I don’t see the need but it may be fun just to see what does for midrange.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • msg
    Thanks for the contributions fellas. He was looking at S60s or S50s. I just told him this morning that S50s would would probably be too thin sounding on their own without a good sub, and told him probably best to hold off for now, or to start looking for something like some Monitor 10 or RTA-11T.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrloren
    Hmm,

We just had my Son's graduation party on Saturday. A friend asked how good do the S60 sound without the sub. I turned it off on the AVR and unplugged the sub. I just left it off the rest of the day The S60 on the kids hiphop was great. I even had to look to see if the sub was on a few times. I didn't plug my sub back in till a few minutes ago.

My neighbor behind me is a little mad still I think.
  • motorhead43026
    I received the S60's yesterday evening, one was a little beat up but I will deal with that today. Got them set up and running as 2 channel. I was concerned for some reason that the bass would be inadequate and that is not the case, may be in a HT application but certainly not for music. The one thing that immediately stands out are the tweeters, very smooth and detailed. I will wait till these break in and I get more listening time with them before making anymore comments, but I believe these will be a winner.

• motorhead43026
    Never ceases to amaze me, build a decent speaker and put cr#ppy binding posts on it. I would gladly pay a few bucks more for something decent.

I am referring to the S60's.

• msg
    Project?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    And you should probably upgrade the crossovers while you're in there.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2017
    Never ceases to amaze me, build a decent speaker and put cr#ppy binding posts on it. I would gladly pay a few bucks more for something decent.

I am referring to the S60's.

b3d35tqe9t24.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2017
    I think I needed a Snickers earlier.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited June 2017
    I think I needed a Snickers earlier.

So now you're satisfied :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dhb220
    dhb220 Posts: 7
    Pardon the mess below. Like Motorhead, I jumped on the $749 bundle (S60/S30/S20). I also ordered the S35, S15s, and S10s). I currently have the S60s, S35, and S10 wired. I tested the S15s....impressive, but the bass won't scream at you. I'll test the S20s tonight. The S30 will remain in the box and be sold soon (I just don't have good room for the S30 w/ my small stand). The S35 sounds lovely. The S60s were very impressive - even with low quality audio sources like X1 cable (DD5.1). The bass was good for music. However, I do use the BIC F12 sub....I'll upgrade that next.

rgvz32pos8p4.jpg3rx5oien1juz.jpg

Living Room:
    Samsung UN50HU6950FXZA with SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit || Onkyo TX-NR646 7.2 (Atmos Config) || Polk TL3/TL2 Sats || Klipsch R-10SWi Sub || Nvidia Shield || Xbox One S
    Media Room:
    Sharp LC-70LE757 || Onkyo TX-NR828 7.2 || Crown XLI800 Amp || Polk Signature S60 L/R S35 Center S20 (Sides) S10 (Rear) || BIC F12 Sub|| Windows 10 HTPC || Xbox One || Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray Player

• mrloren
    nice room, please post pictures when done.

The S20 is a nice bookie, I have them as my bedroom HT mains. Bummer you can't fit the S30 in for your center. I went form a CSi5 to the S30, I find it a very good center. I just wish Polk would make a 6.5" center for the Signature line.

BTW; what will you be asking for the S30.
  • msg
    Mr. L - what do you think of the S20s for music?
    Have you tried them without the sub?
    I can only go by the BB demo, and without the sub there they were terribly lacking, however I don't know that whatever was powering them was passing full range when the sub was out of the mix. For how thin they sounded, I have to at least wonder whether it was just powering down the sub, but not changing the signal to full range.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dhb220
    mrloren wrote: »

The S20 is a nice bookie, I have them as my bedroom HT mains. Bummer you can't fit the S30 in for your center. I went form a CSi5 to the S30, I find it a very good center. I just wish Polk would make a 6.5" center for the Signature line.

Thanks mrloren - I'm thankful for the media room / man cave! I'll add my old pics below - I added some nice hue bulbs for tasteful color recently.

I believe I will sell the S30 for between $150 to $170. I too wish they made a 6.5 center to compliment the S60. However, the S35 has been a surprising gem vs. my CS2 Series II w/ 6.5 inch drivers. Maybe we can get lucky with an S40 center w/ 6.5s. I love the unique stand I have in the media room, but keeping it is hurting with that huge Onkyo 828 (it won't fit below like most standard size receivers. Hence my center channel speaker issue). I would prefer to have a large center on top of the enclosure. Thankfully, the S35 fits perfectly in the middle shelf....I just wish it was higher to be closer to ear level.

raf4b9go6gbe.jpggh3o5m68ztb5.jpgddujo3en7khb.jpg

Living Room:
    Samsung UN50HU6950FXZA with SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit || Onkyo TX-NR646 7.2 (Atmos Config) || Polk TL3/TL2 Sats || Klipsch R-10SWi Sub || Nvidia Shield || Xbox One S
    Media Room:
    Sharp LC-70LE757 || Onkyo TX-NR828 7.2 || Crown XLI800 Amp || Polk Signature S60 L/R S35 Center S20 (Sides) S10 (Rear) || BIC F12 Sub|| Windows 10 HTPC || Xbox One || Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray Player

• dhb220
    msg wrote: »
    Mr. L - what do you think of the S20s for music?
    Have you tried them without the sub?
    I can only go by the BB demo, and without the sub there they were terribly lacking, however I don't know that whatever was powering them was passing full range when the sub was out of the mix. For how thin they sounded, I have to at least wonder whether it was just powering down the sub, but not changing the signal to full range.

Hey Msg - I did test S20s for music without a sub in the past. They sounded very good overall. From mid to high -- excellent. I really feel like Polk nailed the tweeters with the Signature line. Some other brands are tuned so high that it sounds too bright or harsh for my ears (like Klipsch). The S20 gives me strong highs with great mid-range depth. The bass could be considered lacking depending on the genre of music and your overall taste. Like others said, moving the S20 against the wall added a tad more bass. However, I would definitely add a powered sub if the S20s were my Front L/R speakers (I'm a big movie guy so that is a must). Hope that helps!
    Living Room:
    Media Room:

• dhb220
    Thanks Donner!

So it was a bit of a mess (definitely not timbre matched). I had 4 Polk RM 101 satellites - 2 as Front High and 2 Surround Rears that are on the back wall (not pictured). The side surround speakers are Polk Blackstone TL3s. This setup with the Monitor 60 Series II and CS2 center was a strange blend of speakers. It sounded overall good, but somewhat lacking to be honest.

The RM101s served me well for many years - not great speakers, but good. I feel the same regarding the Blackstone TL3 speakers even though they never sold quite well for Polk. TL3s are close to the new S10s in quality (the binding posts are actually high quality as well). However, I can happily report that the S10 Signature satellites are better than all Blackstone levels I have tested (I have owned TL1 and TL2 speakers as well).

I was about switch to Definitive Technology, but the Signature Series kept me with Polk. I'm happy I did.
    Living Room:
    Media Room:

• dhb220
    I love the RTI line - I'm sure the A5s and A1s blend seamlessly. I think you will like the S10s as front height speakers for sure.

I was able to partially design the room (it was an added room when I built the house). It's 19 x 16 and I added double doors from the actual bonus room of the house. However, I messed up on a few things.

The pre-wiring is great (7.1) but my focus was on surround speakers since that's what I had in 2013. I should have also wired the room for floorstanding speakers as well. Instead, I've had to run flat speaker wire under the baseboard.

I intentionally added windows to the room - just in case we sold it and the buyer didn't want a true "media room". This was a mistake - I should have left the windows out (IMO). There is no closet in the room. Having a hidden closet for subs, amps, receivers, and other components would have been great. This simply was not an option due to the design of my house (the right wall leads into a garage attic that our builder wouldn't modify).

Lastly, I should have install dynamat in the floors and figured out other acoustic options to isolate the sound. The media room is above to kitchen and my wife isn't always happy when the gain on my sub is above 25%.

I'm sure it sounds like I'm complaining. Truthfully, I love the room and I'm glad I had the opportunity to build it out. I'll probably add acoustic panels, some type of LED/galaxy design in the trey ceiling and more decor on the walls over time. For now, I'm enjoying the current setup.

Living Room:
    Media Room:

• mrloren
    dhb220 wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

Thanks mrloren - I'm thankful for the media room / man cave! I'll add my old pics below - I added some nice hue bulbs for tasteful color recently.

I believe I will sell the S30 for between $150 to $170. I too wish they made a 6.5 center to compliment the S60. However, the S35 has been a surprising gem vs. my CS2 Series II w/ 6.5 inch drivers. Maybe we can get lucky with an S40 center w/ 6.5s. I love the unique stand I have in the media room, but keeping it is hurting with that huge Onkyo 828 (it won't fit below like most standard size receivers. Hence my center channel speaker issue). I would prefer to have a large center on top of the enclosure. Thankfully, the S35 fits perfectly in the middle shelf....I just wish it was higher to be closer to ear level.

raf4b9go6gbe.jpggh3o5m68ztb5.jpgddujo3en7khb.jpg

Very nice room,

I think you can wall mount the S35 right under your TV.

As for your stand, I got tired of looking for the perfect stand so I made my own.
  • motorhead43026
    edited June 2017
    I recently purchased a Vincent PHO 8 phono pre which took my vinyl to a new level for sure. These S60's do a really fine job with pure analog. Of course the Vincent gets a lot of the credit, but even it didn't sound this good up till now.