Denon AVR-3808ci

rayslifecycle
rayslifecycle Posts: 511
edited July 2008 in Electronics
Hi Fellow Polk Enthusiasts

I have been a forum member for a short time now and the information in this forum has proved very helpful. Recently I upgraded my onkyo prologic reciever with the Denon 3808.

Here is the link to my showcase:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=88673

And this is the link to the denon reciever:
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3510.asp

My relationship with the new reciever started hesitantly. I was intimidated by the graphical user interface, dolby digital processing, and programmable inputs. Like anything new, if you spend some time and attack the learning curve aggressively, you will be rewarded pleasantly.

After setting everything up, I enjoyed re-listenning to all my old favorites. Everything I played sounded real nice and clean. My monitor 10s never sounded so full and clear - and 5.1 processing was quite adequate.

Then, I hooked it up to the internet via a Cat5 cable to our linksys home network. This was where I found the Denon to excel. Instantly I had access to hundreds if not thousands of internet radio stations. Those not in the database of stations were easily added through radiodenon.com. After such success I courageously decided to start the firmware upgrade. It took 1 hour and when finished restarted the machine - many threads out there talk about all the problems they had with the upgrade - I had none - smooth as silk.

The upgrades to the firmware did something amazing to the sound. What used to sound pretty darn good - now can be described using words like "seamless, light, effortless, airy, clear, clean, crisp, pure". This was above and beyond my greatest expectations.

If anyone out there is wondering about a new AVR - I definitely recommend this unit. I am sure everyone has their favorite brands - but I found this Denon made my classic Polk speakers sound awesome, combined 5 remotes into 1, has all the options I need for future growth in HiDef video and preouts for adding alternative audio amplification equipment;

and with the ability to apply firmware upgrades;
has the potential to last a long long time as the centerpiece of my HT.
Post edited by rayslifecycle on

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2008
    Hi Fellow Polk Enthusiasts

After such success I courageously decided to start the firmware upgrade. It took 1 hour and when finished restarted the machine - many threads out there talk about all the problems they had with the upgrade - I had none - smooth as silk.

I like this part. I am not buying any more equipment that does not have an Ethernet port for firmware upgrades. New equipment is becoming so complex that there will be bugs in the firmware, and shipping a unit back for an upgrade is unacceptable.

So, Blu-Ray manufacturers, if you want me to buy a player then start making 2.0 Blu-Ray units and I will start thinking of purchasing one.

Same goes for new pre-amps, CD player, and TVs.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Its funny to read this 9 years, a wife 3 houses & 2 kids later- Happy to say this unit is still in use in the man cave
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Its funny to read this 9 years, a wife 3 houses & 2 kids later- Happy to say this unit is still in use in the man cave
    Now that's what I call an update.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Its funny to read this 9 years, a wife 3 houses & 2 kids later- Happy to say this unit is still in use in the man cave
    Now that's what I call an update.

Agreed! Rock on man.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I am not buying any more equipment that does not have an Ethernet port for firmware upgrades. New equipment is becoming so complex that there will be bugs in the firmware, and shipping a unit back for an upgrade is unacceptable.

So, Blu-Ray manufacturers, if you want me to buy a player then start making 2.0 Blu-Ray units and I will start thinking of purchasing one.

Same goes for new pre-amps, CD player, and TVs.

A lot of Blue Ray players have ethernet ports. One is near 7 years old, and was only a mid level model. I think it is hard to find one without one since they all are pushing internet apps and ability to stream content directly from the internet. Firmware is limited to current hardware tho. You can't add 3D or upgrade to 4K with firmware if they player hardware can't handle it. Most firmware is limited to keeping up with BD standards and new features, new or updates to codecs, interfacing with newer devices, and internet content.